Let's talk Lobster

marym933

Embarkation night is our anniversary. I want to do a specialty restaurant that night, but I know that night is lobster in the main dining rooms. I really don't want to pay an addditional upcharge to get a lobster at Cagney's or Le Bistro.

What is your opinion of the lobster's in the main dining room? Last time on Carnival, they were tasty, but small and accompanied by shrimp.

I think it depends on your lobster tastes. If you live in an area far from the sea you might like it, however, growing up outside of Boston I thought they were terrible and couldn't see why people were making such a big fuss over them.

It's a small, frozen lobster tail that will generally be overcooked.

IMHO

First of all, yes it is the first night.

Secondly, I thought mine a few weeks ago was "OK" as they called it their surf 'n turf. As normal, I ordered two right away. If you want a quality lobster, pay the up-charge.

I used to go nuts on lobster nights but since they are now a glorified shrimp, I would put it on my not to get excited list. It works but that's about all. Assuming the people I spoke with knew mentioned that they were warm weather lobsters not the cold water we are accustomed to getting in nicer restaurants in the States.

I wasn't impressed with the lobster in the MDR - but I'll qualify that by saying that I was not impressed with ANY meal that I ate in the MDR. However, I thought that the meal on the first night (including a small lobster tail) was the best of them.

I enjoyed the food in the speciality restaurants and would definitely go to one of them for a special occasion rather than the MDR. Not only is the food better (in my opinion), but they are usually quieter than the MDR, which is nice for an anniversary.

Of course, food preferences are all relative. A lot of people think the food in the MDR is quite good. If you can't decide, you can always celebrate your anniversary twice - once on the actual date in the MDR, and a second time later in the cruise at the speciality restaurant of your choice. ;)

Embarkation night is our anniversary. I want to do a specialty restaurant that night, but I know that night is lobster in the main dining rooms. I really don't want to pay an addditional upcharge to get a lobster at Cagney's or Le Bistro.

What is your opinion of the lobster's in the main dining room? Last time on Carnival, they were tasty, but small and accompanied by shrimp.

Here are a couple of links to pictures of the embarkation night lobster. Judge for yourself if it is worth it or not. I am highly allergic to shellfish and seafood so I don't have a dog in this fight.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755069

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1742648

(Scroll down to #15)

Here are a couple of links to pictures of the embarkation night lobster. Judge for yourself if it is worth it or not. I am highly allergic to shellfish and seafood so I don't have a dog in this fight.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755069

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1742648

(Scroll down to #15)

Pictures can't tell you how something tastes. Something can look beautiful but be totally inedible. I'm not suggesting the lobster on NCL is totally inedible, but I can tell you that most anyone who knows what good lobster from cold waters such as those from Maine and Nova Scotia tastes like will be ordering something else on lobster night in NCL's MDR.

We're doing a Canada/New England cruise on the Gem in September, and our "shore excursions" will revolve around eating lobster in our ports of call (all of which we've visited in the past) and finding which lobster we like the best. NCL's lobster will not even be invited to the "contest"...it's already been disqualified for impersonating a lobster.

I've been on 16 cruises on a whole bunch of cruise lines. Some of the lobster was awful-- like the lobster on my Celebrity cruise almost 10 years ago. It was so bad (hot and spicy! what a terrible thing to do to a lobster tail!) that I still remember it. I've had about the mushiest lobster on Carnival. But this past September, sailing on Norwegian Star, I had the *best* lobster tail I've ever had on a cruise ship! Matter of fact, I had two of them. :) Yum!

Do keep in mind that sometimes when doing a Canada/New England run, NCL will actually buy lobster right in Maine. Prior to my moving out of Maine last Oct, there were 2 lines (NCL and Celebrity) that made headlines in the Portland Press Herald when they purchased live lobster (mega quantities of it) while in port to feed to the passengers. This was the first time that had ever happened. Last season, lobster prices were pretty much rock bottom and the cruise lines jumped on that. It was great for the line, great for the passengers and awesome for Maine's lobstermen.

So, if you see them loading lobster on the ship while in port...DO order it for dinner that night :D....Just pray they don't overcook the dang things.

Do keep in mind that sometimes when doing a Canada/New England run, NCL will actually buy lobster right in Maine. Prior to my moving out of Maine last Oct, there were 2 lines (NCL and Celebrity) that made headlines in the Portland Press Herald when they purchased live lobster (mega quantities of it) while in port to feed to the passengers. This was the first time that had ever happened. Last season, lobster prices were pretty much rock bottom and the cruise lines jumped on that. It was great for the line, great for the passengers and awesome for Maine's lobstermen.

So, if you see them loading lobster on the ship while in port...DO order it for dinner that night :D....Just pray they don't overcook the dang things.

Holland America did this as well this past sailing season. Just a big influx of lobster and the prices were super cheap.

Lobster comes with steak or fish. Just ask for two tails instead. It is not the best but four of us found it very tasty last year on the Epic. They are bigger in the paid restaurants but remember lobster is an extra charge in those places

Lobster comes with steak or fish. Just ask for two tails instead. It is not the best but four of us found it very tasty last year on the Epic. They are bigger in the paid restaurants but remember lobster is an extra charge in those places

They are an entirely different species in the paid restaurants; North Atlantic cold water lobster instead of Caribbean rock lobster.

Yes, they are small and accompanied by shrimp. They do vary, though, by quality. Some have not been good, but the one we had on the Dawn this month was larger and tastier than the previous two cruises on NCL. You can request a second IIRC.

Pictures can't tell you how something tastes. Something can look beautiful but be totally inedible. I'm not suggesting the lobster on NCL is totally inedible, but I can tell you that most anyone who knows what good lobster from cold waters such as those from Maine and Nova Scotia tastes like will be ordering something else on lobster night in NCL's MDR.

We're doing a Canada/New England cruise on the Gem in September, and our "shore excursions" will revolve around eating lobster in our ports of call (all of which we've visited in the past) and finding which lobster we like the best. NCL's lobster will not even be invited to the "contest"...it's already been disqualified for impersonating a lobster.

We're going to be on in Sept. too. We'll be on Sept. 14th...you?

In my experience with both NCL and Carnival, regarding lobster (or any other seafood other than "mystery fish") you get what you pay for. If you want upscale seafood, you have to pay for it, over and above the standard fare included in your passage. Do you actually think they (the cruise lines) will actually "comp" you to a better grade of lobster simply because they "like" you? Get real, it's business plain and simple.

In my experience with both NCL and Carnival, regarding lobster (or any other seafood other than "mystery fish") you get what you pay for. If you want upscale seafood, you have to pay for it, over and above the standard fare included in your passage. Do you actually think they (the cruise lines) will actually "comp" you to a better grade of lobster simply because they "like" you? Get real, it's business plain and simple.

I'm not sure who you are directing your comment toward. I am not asking for anything "comped". I asked only about the quality of the lobster in the MDR.

We are just off the EPIC and DH is a huge lobster fan. I agree with all posters about Maine lobsters but often in restaurants even in New England when ordering surf and turf , it's a warm water tail.

It was our first NCL cruise and the menu option was surf & turf. It was served with a small tenderloin. I had read the critiques of the shrinking size but was pleasantly surprised when our dinners arrived. It was decent sized and actually cooked perfectly and delicious.

DH said it was the best tail he'd had on a cruise ship dinner!

Personally I'd give it a try and reserve your specialty for another night. I am not sure of NCLs policy but maybe ask for two tails with your steak.

( overall we found the food good to very good but the last night, the dinner choices weren't our cup if tea and what we ordered wasn't great)

Enjoy

I was pleasantly surprised on the Jewel in November...very good surf and turf was served in the MDR..first night !

I agree. The lobster wasn't the tiny, Caribbean lobster that was previously served. It was definitely larger, closer to the Maine lobster that people typically envision. I know I enjoyed it.

And, again, if the portion isn't big enough (and you like it), you can always order more than one serving. No problem whatsoever.

Thank you for all the helpful comments! I think we'll give NCL lobster a try. We can do our specialty dinner on the second day which is a sea day. It won't be as rushed as embarkation day, especially since I want to be on deck when we go under the Skyway bridge. I've been under it 3 times and it is always a thrill.

Archived