Has Any One Done This?

Banjo

I was at my neighborhood dog park a few days ago and a fellow dog owner and I started talking about cruises. He stated he was planning to go to New Orleans cruise terminal the day of a cruise and purchase a booking for that cruise. He claimed you can get significant discount on the cruise.

I never heard anyone ever doing that. I cruised out New Orleans on numerous occasions on both NCL and Carnival and I would even how to do that. You need documents or a boarding pass just to get to the cruise desk.

If can be done, I am just curious to know.

I was at my neighborhood dog park a few days ago and a fellow dog owner and I started talking about cruises. He stated he was planning to go to New Orleans cruise terminal the day of a cruise and purchase a booking for that cruise. He claimed you can get significant discount on the cruise.

I never heard anyone ever doing that. I cruised out New Orleans on numerous occasions on both NCL and Carnival and I would even how to do that. You need documents or a boarding pass just to get to the cruise desk.

If can be done, I am just curious to know.

they sail full so you would need to book at least several days early.

I too, used to do this back in the '70's and '80's, and thought it wasn't possible today,,,,however,,,,recently, after the lovely Mrs. Jones and I boarded, and were sitting in our cabin, we heard a key card enter our door, and a couple walked in! :eek: They ask who we were, then quickly left. About a minute later, the phone rang, and it was the pursers desk, who once again, asked who we were. When I identified myself, and informed the person on the other end of the phone that I'd booked this cabin months ago, she ask me to hold for a moment. When she returned to the phone, she told me that our cabin HAD BEEN SOLD ON THE PIER, and that apparently we had been upgraded, but not informed. They asked us to come to the pursers desk, where they gave us the card to a balcony cabin. (We had been in an inside.) Since then, I've read that the rules, reference how far in advance the TSA requires notification of I.D. of those sailing, has been changed, and YES INDEED, they can sell cabins on the pier. Havent tried it myself recently, and don't think I'd plan on a cruise that way.

"SKY"

Hmmm, I thought the passenger manifest had to be turned over something like 48 hours before sailing. Maybe not!

I bet you weren't upgraded until they realized their mistake! Your room keys wouldn't have worked in that inside room otherwise! Hey, worked out well for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hmmm, I thought the passenger manifest had to be turned over something like 48 hours before sailing. Maybe not!

No, it must be turned in 60 minutes before sailaway. However, I've read they may submit a provisional list at some preliminary date/time. List can be checked for fugitives, deadbeats or whatnot.

On our cruise in November, we went to the session with the future cruise booking director who explained different ways to book and save money on future cruises. He said that you can show up the day of the sailing, check in at the terminal and if there is still space available or a no show, then you can purchase the cruise for the price of port fees only.

On our cruise in November, we went to the session with the future cruise booking director who explained different ways to book and save money on future cruises. He said that you can show up the day of the sailing, check in at the terminal and if there is still space available or a no show, then you can purchase the cruise for the price of port fees only.

Can you even enter the port if you aren't on the passenger list? We've always had to show ID to even enter the building. Maybe it varies with cruise lines?

I'd take that with a really big grain of salt. Firefly and others have posted that they booked the morning of a cruise, you need to get a PVP or phone rep that knows how to get you booked. I've also read where check-in clerks brought their bags to work hoping to snag a cabin the norning of the cruise.

I'd take that with a really big grain of salt. Firefly and others have posted that they booked the morning of a cruise, you need to get a PVP or phone rep that knows how to get you booked. I've also read where check-in clerks brought their bags to work hoping to snag a cabin the norning of the cruise.

I would bet anything available goes to the check in clerks!

We were on a last minute Pride CTN (the "Frankenstorm" storm cancelled the full cruise), and just about every check in clerk was also on the cruise - they were (appropriately I think!) given advance warning and were able to take advantage. It was fun to see them all so excited as they checked us in! They had their bags behind the counters, some of them their spouses/friends in with us regulars.

Since they often seem to be retired folks, again, bet the ranch the unsold cabins will be taken care of by that group!

A friend of mine tried this in Long Beach a few months ago. They had talked to Carnival customer service and determined that there was a good chance that some cabins would be available that weekend. So, they drove 200 miles to the port and took a chance.

They waited around all day in hopes of someone not showing up and a cabin becoming available. But in the end, after wasting the entire day, they watched as the ship sailed without them. You can imagine their frustration and disappointment. Not quite the fun time they had fantasized about!

My advice is not to be cheap... book a cabin like a normal person... and get your vacation arrangements nailed down so you are not disappointed!

A friend of mine tried this in Long Beach a few months ago. They had talked to Carnival customer service and determined that there was a good chance that some cabins would be available that weekend. So, they drove 200 miles to the port and took a chance.

They waited around all day in hopes of someone not showing up and a cabin becoming available. But in the end, after wasting the entire day, they watched as the ship sailed without them. You can imagine their frustration and disappointment. Not quite the fun time they had fantasized about!

My advice is not to be cheap... book a cabin like a normal person... and get your vacation arrangements nailed down so you are not disappointed!

But they would have let them buy a cabin if it were available? My mom is going to be dropping us off at the port next Monday, it might be worth just checking to see if she can hop on the boat with us!

I would have thought you would have paid at least something to the cruise line for the cabin.

I would have thought you would have paid at least something to the cruise line for the cabin.

Why not? Airlines do the same thing. Employees travel for free on a stand by basis. The cruiseline is thinking the traveler will surely spend money on excursions, gambling or photos. An empty cabin is lost revnue - not just for Carnival, but for the room stewards and waiters.

I would definitley try this, worse case they say no and you go home, if you live close, or like that couple that drove 200 miles, stay the weekend and vist the port city.

When given lemons.... make lemonaide.

But it could be a Long Island Ice Tea on deck watching the sunset from the open seas for very cheap price.

Thanks for all your responses. The way I understand, technically could be done but you at the mercy of the cruise ship having space and taking what's available.

Years ago (back in the early to mid 90's and prior to internet booking/advertising) I recall my sister doing something similar. She was friendly with a TA and the TA would call the night prior to a cruise saying a particular cruise ship had availability at a discounted price. She had like a 1/2 hour to decide if she and husband wanted to go. It was not a problem for her because both were retired and lived in Hollywood, FL. which was close to the Miami and Port Everglades port terminals.

Can you even enter the port if you aren't on the passenger list? We've always had to show ID to even enter the building. Maybe it varies with cruise lines?

For those who say they've done it, where EXACTLY do you go once you get near the ship? It can't be inside the terminal, because you can't get thru the door.

Archived