Grand Suite 1264 not what we expected or wanted

Emma

That's where the draggable deckplan site is really useful:)

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/index.php

If you look up a Freedom Class ship Deck 10, drag over Deck 11 and lineup the forward elevators, the hot tubs lineup over the wrong cabins. This site is totally inaccurate. If you scroll down to the aft elevators, you'll notice they don't lineup either.

Edited by SPDBigG

Are you sure you were in 1264. We've been in 1268 on Freedom and it appeared that 1264 was entirely covered. There's no 1266 so we were right next door. We even checked it out from the water while on an excursion. My comment to DW at the time was that we dodged a bullet by one cabin. It looked worse from the water.

Positive ! Just looked at our balcony pics and less then half the rear part is covered by the hot tub.

I really don't understand why cruiselinescharge more as you move up the decks and put most suites on the highest passenger deck while most of us know it's best to be between passenger decks and not right below the pool deck.

Why?

Gregg...........I don't know why.....except that is the way the ships architects designed the suite area.

On Celebrity, at least on the older ships, the suites are about 4 decks down, and very quiet.:)

Rick

We've never experienced any disturbing noise so I never thought twice about being under the pool deck but then again, we've only had suites on Freedom and Voyager classes.

We've never experienced any disturbing noise so I never thought twice about being under the pool deck but then again, we've only had suites on Freedom and Voyager classes.

And I have only had the one occasion, last month in a GS, on the Brilliance. The drummer was great.........as I can still hear him.........when I relax and reflect on the trip.

We normally stay in OS's, and I have only had one occasion to go a bit nuts, and that is when the Legend of the Seas came out of drydock.........maybe in 2006 or before..........and we had our favorite cabin 8502, and from the moment we entered.......we had this terrible grinding sound!

So, I went up to the WJ, and above our suite, they had installed new coffee makers. The manager found me on my hands and knees, with the doors open, and wondered what was going on. I led him to our cabin........and let him listen.......and within 24 hours...........it was totally silent.

The crew listens...........when there is a problem!

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

I'm sorry to hear this! If I was lucky enough to get a GS, or a suite of any kind, and to find I have NO sun on my balcony I would be very upset. A GS is not a GS, even though it's the same class. Anyone if given the choice between the one you got and one without the higher obstruction would have chose the latter. It IS an obstruction. Shame they don't tell you.

If you look up a Freedom Class ship Deck 10, drag over Deck 11 and lineup the forward elevators, the hot tubs lineup over the wrong cabins. This site is totally inaccurate. If you scroll down to the aft elevators, you'll notice they don't lineup either.

I went to the site and it said I have to pay for a membership to look at the deck plans. Did you pay just to look at the Freedom class ships or did you already have a membership? If you already had a membership, were any of the other ships accurate?

I went to the site and it said I have to pay for a membership to look at the deck plans. Did you pay just to look at the Freedom class ships or did you already have a membership? If you already had a membership, were any of the other ships accurate?

No. The site allows you to look at the deck plans and drag them over each other. Anything more than that I think they charge.

Go to the site and follow these directions:

- pick the the cruiseline from the list on the right.

- pick the ship

- once the next page opens you should see three tabs: Navigation,

Staterooms, and Deck key

- click Navigation

- click Drag decks

The decks should appear starting with top deck. Just click and drag the deck you want.

Seeing as you asked, I just checked Adventurer. Deck 12 lined up with 11 but 8 was a little off from 7. It must vary ship to ship and deck to deck.

The set up of Freedom must be different from IOS. When we were in 1264, the hot tub only covered about half our balcony, which made it nice ,because we had some shade to relax in if we wanted. Also, the plexiglass had more of a yellowish tint to it which didn't bother us at all.

I have 1260 booked for a cruise in June. This thread now has me wondering if I should not try to move the room now.

If you indicated that 1264 had some of the balcony covered....do you remember if the majority of the hot tub was further forward or aft of your old cabin?

Geez I never thought that this would be a problem.

Thanks

Scott

Hmm, never tried on Freedom Class but was OK (close enough) on Mariner & Jewel. Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear this! If I was lucky enough to get a GS, or a suite of any kind, and to find I have NO sun on my balcony I would be very upset. A GS is not a GS, even though it's the same class. Anyone if given the choice between the one you got and one without the higher obstruction would have chose the latter. It IS an obstruction. Shame they don't tell you.

If that were the case no Radiance class ship would have an unobstructed view from a suite. There is no sun on deck 10 balconies which is what I like. They all have a large overhang.

The hump cabins don't have the overhang. JS1100 gets some sun at times.

Edited by mommabean

The first leg of this trip , we were in 1274, a couple of cabins down from this one, we even had the same great cabin Stewart for both legs. We had afternoon sun on our deck on the first leg and it was fine. When we walked into 1264 the room was dark due to the overhang, the cabin itself was exactly the same otherwise. My issue is that I was not aware of this overhang. I did look at deck 11 but I looked too quickly, I saw the hot tub but did not connect that it was a bump out. Some people do not use the balcony, some people only want shade and some people want sun. Unfortunately , I am one that wants some sun.While the shade and the actual structure bothered me, my DH was really annoyed with the deep blue tint. We have experienced issues with noise before, but that was not an issue for either of the cabins on this trip.

Yes, we did like the CL very much and Rag is great.

I had cabin 1256 on Liberty about a year ago. It is not under the hot tub. I was a little concerned because it looked like it was when I first tried overlaying the deck plans. Then I noticed that deck 10 and 11 plans were not the same scale (elevators don't line up) and realized that the hot tubs were further toward the back of the ship then they originally appeared. All the GS balconies are covered, but the hot tubs hang out and block most of the sun from some of the cabins. I'm like the OP and want to have some sun when I'm on the balcony. Cabins 1260, 1560, 1268, & 1568 have balconies that are partially blocked from above by the whirlpool. Cabins 1264 & 1564 are completely blocked. I wouldn't want any of those cabins!

The OP didn't mention noise issues, but on Liberty the people in cabin 1264 complained about a low "humming" noise and wall vibrations when the hot tub motors were running. We didn't have any problems with noises in 1256. The area on deck 11 above cabin 1256 is somewhat enclosed and not an ideal place to catch rays. We didn't hear chairs scraping or any noise from bands.

SCOTT: I would try to change cabins if I were you. Your balcony will be about 1/3 - 1/2 covered by the hot tub overhang.

Edited by kyriecat

Will I have any issues with GS 1298 on Liberty? Thank you.

While I've never stayed in 1298, they're far from the hot tubs. I think 1298 & 1598 are prime real estate only because they've never been available when I've booked. :)

I had cabin 1256 on Liberty about a year ago. It is not under the hot tub. I was a little concerned because it looked like it was when I first tried overlaying the deck plans. Then I noticed that deck 10 and 11 plans were not the same scale (elevators don't line up) and realized that the hot tubs were further toward the back of the ship then they originally appeared. All the GS balconies are covered, but the hot tubs hang out and block most of the sun from some of the cabins. I'm like the OP and want to have some sun when I'm on the balcony. Cabins 1260, 1560, 1268, & 1568 have balconies that are partially blocked from above by the whirlpool. Cabins 1264 & 1564 are completely blocked. I wouldn't want any of those cabins!

The OP didn't mention noise issues, but on Liberty the people in cabin 1264 complained about a low "humming" noise and wall vibrations when the hot tub motors were running. We didn't have any problems with noises in 1256. The area on deck 11 above cabin 1256 is somewhat enclosed and not an ideal place to catch rays. We didn't hear chairs scraping or any noise from bands.

SCOTT: I would try to change cabins if I were you. Your balcony will be about 1/3 - 1/2 covered by the hot tub overhang.

I just posted a thread about liberty 1560 as we have that booked. No other suites at all available on our sailing :0(.

I also am a sunshine fan.

The first leg of this trip , we were in 1274, a couple of cabins down from this one, we even had the same great cabin Stewart for both legs. We had afternoon sun on our deck on the first leg and it was fine. When we walked into 1264 the room was dark due to the overhang, the cabin itself was exactly the same otherwise. My issue is that I was not aware of this overhang. I did look at deck 11 but I looked too quickly, I saw the hot tub but did not connect that it was a bump out. Some people do not use the balcony, some people only want shade and some people want sun. Unfortunately , I am one that wants some sun.While the shade and the actual structure bothered me, my DH was really annoyed with the deep blue tint. We have experienced issues with noise before, but that was not an issue for either of the cabins on this trip.

Yes, we did like the CL very much and Rag is great.

I see. You moved to it - not from it for the second leg.

For all everyone says about research, I realize it isn't always possible for each and every cabin. Sometimes we have to live and learn. I found out the hard way that I'll never book a promenade cabin again either. There is no way to find out with research which exact cabins have a promenade speaker hidden inside the window seat. I got stuck with one on the first leg of a a B2B and it woke me up every morning promptly at 6am with the bass booming. I was fortunate that guest services was VERY nice about it and moved me for the second leg of our B2B since I had originally booked the same room for the convenience.

If I wanted to hang out on my balcony in the sun and found I had the only room without sun, I'd be annoyed, too. Although I guess the sun could be on the opposite side of the ship depending on time of year and ship's direction.

I was on a cruise recently that had pipes banging in the ceiling over our GS every time someone turned on and off the water. Fortunately they were quiet at night. Even more fortunate for us was that the upgrade fairy arrived in time for the next cruise when we were supposed to remain in the same room. We gladly moved and met the people who had been assigned to our previous cabin. I didn't say a thing and she told me about the banging, clanking noise coming from her ceiling. :eek: It was driving her nuts.

There are some things you just can't find out even through research or here at CC.

Gina

Edited by mommabean