Ensenada and La Guerrerense Street Food Cart

golfgod003

Before my last little 3 day weekend Carnival trip, I watched an Anthony Bourdain episode about food in Tijuana and Ensenada. He said the BEST street cart food in the world is this little one called La Guerrerense. We gave it a shot...after asking around to find this little gem. OMG! I should have known by the crowd gathered around the cart (no seating) that this HAD to be good. If you're into FRESH seafood and are a bit adventurous, I could recommend it any more highly! Ultra fresh civiche' with loads of seafood options...even sea urchin and sea clam. One of the best culinary experiences of my life! I guess it's run by a woman that's had the cart in the same place for several decades.

Have any of you tried this place out? I'm not really sure I should even let the word out about this place, but just had to share.

Thank you for sharing. Now I have something to do when I go on the Inspiration in July. I wasn't planning on getting off the ship.

Can you give me a hint on where the cart is located?

I remember it being about 2 or 3 blocks after you cross the bridge if you walk from the pier toward the downtown core. it's about a block or two away from the water and, surprisingly, it's a street cart :) If you have trouble finding it, like I did, I had saved the name of the place in my phone and showed it to a local that pointed me exactly where it was.

Enjoy!

Thank you for sharing. Now I have something to do when I go on the Inspiration in July. I wasn't planning on getting off the ship.

Can you give me a hint on where the cart is located?

Google is your friend. It is on the corner of Alvarado and A. Lopez Mateos (main tourist street). Alvarado dead ends at the huge flag.

If you want really good tacos, go to Taquiera Lindo next to Hussong's.

Google is your friend. It is on the corner of Alvarado and A. Lopez Mateos (main tourist street). Alvarado dead ends at the huge flag.

If you want really good tacos, go to Taquiera Lindo next to Hussong's.

I second that on the taco shop you referenced...ate there 2 times ago and absolutely loved it as well. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi, this might be a silly question, but you only mentioned seafood. I'm assuming they also have carne asada & chicken?? Hubs doesn't eat seafood, but we love the street carts! Thanks!

We never noticed anything but seafood on the cart...you might just have to discover that for us :-)

Hi, this might be a silly question, but you only mentioned seafood. I'm assuming they also have carne asada & chicken?? Hubs doesn't eat seafood, but we love the street carts! Thanks!

The street carts only have seafood on them. I haven't seen any that have chicken or beef.

• 1 year later...
FWIW, there are other excellent carts besides La Guerrerense. Mariscos El Guero and Mariscos El Pizon are both worth seeking out.

It is only about a 5 minute walk to El Guero, which is on Alvarado and Lazaro Cardenas. Lazaro Cardenas is the main street right outside the port. And Alvarado is where the large flag is. If you look on Google maps, you will see El Guero in front of an empty lot, but there is now a Michoacana paleta/helado (mexican ice cream) shop on the corner. The ice cream guy said El Guero is always busy.

ElGuero1Alvarado-LazaroCardenas_zps5b05740d.jpgElGuero2Alvarado-LazaroCardenas_zps3e3b6a2f.jpg

It is only about a 5 minute walk to El Guero, which is on Alvarado and Lazaro Cardenas. Lazaro Cardenas is the main street right outside the port. And Alvarado is where the large flag is. If you look on Google maps, you will see El Guero in front of an empty lot, but there is now a Michoacana paleta/helado (mexican ice cream) shop on the corner. The ice cream guy said El Guero is always busy.

ElGuero1Alvarado-LazaroCardenas_zps5b05740d.jpgElGuero2Alvarado-LazaroCardenas_zps3e3b6a2f.jpg

Look-- They have Limes!

Probably no limes right now.:(

• 1 month later...

Just back from our cruise, including a stop at La Guerrerense while in Ensenada, thanks to this thread. Great food, and crazy-low prices too. Ordered two fish ceviche tostadas, including sliced avocado on top. Dressed them with some of the huge selection of garnishes & sauces, walked around the cart to pay - $2.50 for both! Wow, had a couple more, amazing lunch for 2 for $5!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Just back from our cruise, including a stop at La Guerrerense while in Ensenada, thanks to this thread. Great food, and crazy-low prices too. Ordered two fish ceviche tostadas, including sliced avocado on top. Dressed them with some of the huge selection of garnishes & sauces, walked around the cart to pay - $2.50 for both! Wow, had a couple more, amazing lunch for 2 for $5!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I love that place! I have a upcoming cruise on Princess and they switched out Ensenada for Mazatlan so I will miss out on another trip to that cart. I found Ensenada to be a great town and don't understand the bad wrap it gets from many people. I hope to make it back soon.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I just booked our first cruise and instead of an excursion we are going to take a self guided street food tour, mostly so we can eat at this place.

It's sad that we spend more time on talking about where we will eat on vacation then what we will do. We call it FFL (Fatties for life)

My wife and I just booked our first cruise and instead of an excursion we are going to take a self guided street food tour, mostly so we can eat at this place.

It's sad that we spend more time on talking about where we will eat on vacation then what we will do. We call it FFL (Fatties for life)

Fantastic idea about a self guided street food tour! Post some pictures afterwards if you can.