First Time New Years Eve Cruiser

Honeybfly002

Hello All!

My boyfriend and I are planning a New Years Cruise to the Bahamas but we've NEVER taken a cruise before.

Has anyone ever taken a cruise during New Years? If so, how was your experience?

How far in advance should one plan a cruise?

We would also like to find a cruise liner that has very few children on board...any suggestions?

All comments and advice are welcome...Thanks!

You're looking at the most expensive time of year to travel, since so many folks are on vacation at that time of year, so book early to try to get cheaper rates (and it's too late for this year to save much $$). Many of those folks on vacation are kids, since school is out of session, so, on other than the most luxury of lines, you'll be surrounded by children on most cruises that time of year.

If you're planning to cruise this year, you'd better book now. Yes, prices will be at their peaks! There should be many children, unless you are planning to cruise on a luxury line.

We're already booked on a cruise for September 2006.

Good luck. ;)

FWIW, I'm booked on a singles cruise that departs on New Year's Eve for the Caribbean. Maybe I'm delusional, but I'm hoping since it starts new years eve, most kids have to be back in school that following week (please, fingers crossed). But also, because I'm with a singles group, I'll have a fairly good sized adults only group to be with.

Oh yeah, it is an expensive week to cruise!

FWIW, I'm booked on a singles cruise that departs on New Year's Eve for the Caribbean. Maybe I'm delusional, but I'm hoping since it starts new years eve, most kids have to be back in school that following week (please, fingers crossed). But also, because I'm with a singles group, I'll have a fairly good sized adults only group to be with.
College kids don't necessarily go back to school that soon . . . and they are often Singles. You could have a bunch of them onboard with you. Sounds like fun!

We were on Navigator of the Seas last New Year's. It was great. The ship still had all the Xmas decorations and bringing in the New Year was a blast.

You know what? I wouldn't worry too much about the kids. There will be lots of them but you won't see them much. I have heard people complain about their cruise by saying it was great but the ship was full of...... (fill in the blank - kids, seniors, college students, Texans, Brits, New Yorkers, Puerto Ricans etc etc.) Live and let live.

We took a 9-night holiday cruise last year. It left Christmas Eve and came back January 2. There were children on the ship, but I never saw any behaving badly. We tended to hang out at the spa pool where kids weren't allowed.

I waited until November to book our cruise. That's taking a risk. A lot of the holiday cruises sell out a year in advance. But we weren't looking to book a particular cruise ship or itinerary and ended up saving a lot of money by booking after final payments were due.

We sailed on the NCL Star last December and had no problems with kids running around screaming. Too often time by a pool deck is ruined by screaming kids.

On the Star, and other NCL ships, the kids have their own pool, play area, and activities.

We're spending Christmas and New Year's with NCL this year on the Jewel.

Archived