Ulu Knives

Swayde

Which port is better to by Ulu Knives at, Skagway, Juneau or Ketchikan? Or is it better to just buy them online?

We picked some up in both Ketchikan and Juneau (I'm sure they were available in Skagway - we just didn't have time to shop there). There we saw and purchased both inexpensive and more refined/high quality Ulus. Hope that helps!

L.J.

Thank you. I'll check in Ketchikan since that is the only port we didn't book excursions and planned to walk around the city and shop. I just didn't know what the availability is like in the stores there. Sounds like it shouldn't be any trouble finding them though =)

I dont remember which port we bought ours in but the cheap ones say "Made in China" My husband refused to buy it. He paid more for one that was made in Alaska. I also dont remember what type of wood the handle was but it did say on the box and it did come from Alaska :)

I saw ulu knives in almost every port but I think that Juneau had the most shops.

If you're purchasing the ulu knives as a souvenir that will be on display, any "made in Alaska" ulu knife that "looks good" will do. If you are purchasing the ulu knife for actual use, then note how the blade is attached to the handle. The riveted one is more durable than the ones that are glued.

Check the rules on your own cruise ship as some do not allow Ulu's to be brought back on board....you need to ship them home which most stores will do.

Obviously the Ulu Factory in Anchorage and online has a terrific selection.

Yes, and thank you. Do watch for the real Made in Alaska ones.

I bought my Ulu knife at the gift shop at Potlach Park in Ketchikan. It is native carved. [handle is a fish] I got it 1/2 price because it was Sept. But, even at full price it would have been an excellent AK keepsake.

I bought made in AK ulu knives fro my children in Ketchikan at the Tongass Trading Co and in Anchorage at the factory.

I bought one of the USPS boxes that ship for one price regardless of weight and shipped all of my souvenirs home from AK. I saved a lot of room/weight in my suitcase.

In which port did you mail your box home? This sounds like a great idea.

Post offices are handy in all Alaskan ports. I get the free box and buy the stamps ahead of time so that I don't have to wait in line at the Post Office.

Some ships are nervous about passengers taking boxes off the ship. So I have the box flat and pack it on shore and use the 'no wait' package drop at the Post Office.

You can look up shipping rates online and be prepared with the postage for Flat Rate boxes.

In lieu of packing materials, I put in clothes that I'm done with and want to get out of the way.

Post offices are handy in all Alaskan ports. I get the free box and buy the stamps ahead of time so that I don't have to wait in line at the Post Office.

Some ships are nervous about passengers taking boxes off the ship. So I have the box flat and pack it on shore and use the 'no wait' package drop at the Post Office.

You can look up shipping rates online and be prepared with the postage for Flat Rate boxes.

In lieu of packing materials, I put in clothes that I'm done with and want to get out of the way.

I mailed mine in Anchorage--but, this is a good idea. It was easy and really made my packing better.:p

If you're purchasing the ulu knives as a souvenir that will be on display, any "made in Alaska" ulu knife that "looks good" will do. If you are purchasing the ulu knife for actual use, then note how the blade is attached to the handle. The riveted one is more durable than the ones that are glued.

We bought ours for display but still made sure it was made in AK:)

Archived