Golden Princess Obnoxious Music in Gym

Quenby

A bunch of us have been complaining about the horribly loud music in the gym during the spin classes. The speakers are mounted about the treadmills - the music is so loud that people are complaining they can't hear the TVs on their treadmill. The spin instructor SCREAMS over the noise of the pounding music. Both the gym trainer and the Spa Manager Daco told me and others that we should come to the gym at times when the classes are not being conducted. Interesting that these jerks thinks we should adjust our schedules and miss out on other activities such as ukulele and hula because we do not want to be subjected to the deafening music. We have been told by different staff that the 5 people (4 passengers and a Princess singer) have the right to the loud music and screaming because they have paid for the spin class. REALLY?????

Chris, that's awful! Have you written a note to the CD? I'd get names and make sure to let them know you're reporting the situation, what you tried to do to correct it, and the result to the CD, on a Comment card at the PSD, and on the post-cruise questionnaire. This wouldn't be a threat but a promise.

Hi Pam!

I turned in a detailed note to Passenger Services and will also do a complaint in my Princess survey. Others will do the same. The sad thing was that the gym staff (Ash) and Manager (Daco) truly did not give a rip. There was a very simple and fast solution: turn down the #$@**# volume on the music!!! Can't believe that manager is able to keep his job! He and Ash made it very clear that since we were not generating any additional revenue, our complaints would get ZERO attention. Daco flat out refused to turn down the volume! :eek:

If you are a Facebook user--and willing to post under your real name for the entire online universe to see--I would definitely write this on Princess' Facebook page. That would all but guarantee that as soon as the home office sees your post tomorrow morning they will contact the ship and make sure someone in onboard management meets with you ASAP.

Get everyone who is concerned to contact the passenger services deck, encourage all of them to express their views in their evaluation and call Princess after you return from your cruise.

Speak up. It does work.

Several years ago (back in the day when there was a smoking section in The Wheelhouse) we were on the Golden, dancing in The Wheelhouse when a man sat down next to the dance floor and started blowing smoke directly on the dancers. There were about 8 couples who started a crusade to stop smoking in The Wheelhouse. We all complained to the passenger services desk, we all complained in our evaluations and we all called Princess after we returned home.

Even though the Princess employees with whom we spoke told us there was nothing they could do, that was the very last time that we ever saw smoking in The Wheelhouse. Hallelujah!

I do believe that the first step is always to address your problems to the people on the front line, but, if that doesn't work, and you are serious about your concerns, keep moving it up the line.

I had never thought about addressing issues on the Princess Facebook page, but I will not hesitate to do so in the event I ever encounter any future Princess issues.

Until the issue is resolved, you could take your iPod to the gym. Sometimes that is the best way to get music you really like. Of course, if the volume is so high that you can't hear your own music on your iPod, that raises the issue to a new level. :eek:

If you are a Facebook user--and willing to post under your real name for the entire online universe to see--I would definitely write this on Princess' Facebook page. That would all but guarantee that as soon as the home office sees your post tomorrow morning they will contact the ship and make sure someone in onboard management meets with you ASAP.
I agree. If you can, post the specifics with names on the Princess FB page. You might also go to the Captain's Circle Host and let them know what's happening and how it's affecting your cruise. Have everyone else affected do the same. I once had an ongoing non-working toilet problem on the Crown Princess years ago for eight out of a ten-day cruise. Multiple reports every day by my steward and his supervisor, multiple reports by me at the PSD. I finally turned to the Captain's Circle Host and she had it fixed in 15 minutes. Turns out that the reports were never recorded at the PSD. There had to be at least 30 reports since I did it 3x-4x/day. Give that a try and if they can't/won't help you, add their name to be reported. This is inexcusable.

So sorry to hear about this.

Complaining to the CD, writing to the Captain, and complaining at the PSD really does work.

Complaining on the evaluation really does help for the future, too.

So sorry.

Best wishes for enjoying the rest of your cruise.

Hi There

Princess does listen if you tell the right people,

a meeting with Customer Services Director and Cruise Director,

should have fixed this,

you do not go on a cruise to great this type of treatment,

yours Shogun

What a horrible experience for your Chris.

Of all the things that can go wrong both on cruises, and in life

-- sickness, accidents, disease, death, etc. It's hard to see how this

rises to 'horrible'.

If something like this were to happen to me, I wouldn't even

think about posting it here. I would simply try and take care

of it onboard, and if that were not possible, either live with

the 'horribleness', or come back in a half-an-hour, after

the spin class had ended.

If I am understanding this right, the loud music only takes place during the spin class which is like 1 hour per day. I guess I agree with the spa manager. If you don't like the loud music that is playing when the spin class is going on, then go at a different time. You can see what time the class is scheduled and avoid that. Its the same as if something was scheduled at the pool that you didn't like. You wouldn't expect them to stop it just because that was the time you picked for quiet relaxation by the pool.

Excessively loud music can damage your hearing. Since the speakers are near the treadmills, not the spinners, then they are endangering YOUR hearing. THAT should get someone's attention in this litigious society. I'm not saying that you should threaten a lawsuit...just that the company may be more concerned if this could be a medical issue.

Hi There

Princess does listen if you tell the right people,

a meeting with Customer Services Director and Cruise Director,

should have fixed this,

you do not go on a cruise to great this type of treatment,

yours Shogun

Well said, Shogun, as always.

Some years ago, on the Sun Princess, they were playing vulgar rap music, that included the "f" word, in the gym. I wrote to the Captain, that day. The offensive rap music stopped, that day. Time in the gym was great, thereafter. The aforementioned Captain is now the Commodore of the fleet. Complaining to the right people can have immediate as well as long term effects.

On the Sun Princess, another time, I innocently walked into the library, only to be told off by the Dr. Bob and Bill W. people. I had no idea, no clue, and there was no sign. Even though this may seem unimportant to some, it ruined my day.

After writing to the Captain (now the Commodore), and also including this on my evaluation, I have never experienced this again. Whew.

Let's not give up on the current concern.

Best wishes to all...

At least two of us left notes describing the problem at the Passenger Services desk, and the volume finally came down. I still find it incredible that both the trainer and spa manager expected all of us who disliked the music to rearrange our schedules and miss out on other activites -- all because the five people in the spin classes were generating revenue.

At least two of us left notes describing the problem at the Passenger Services desk, and the volume finally came down. I still find it incredible that both the trainer and spa manager expected all of us who disliked the music to rearrange our schedules and miss out on other activites -- all because the five people in the spin classes were generating revenue.

Notes get round filed, must talk to a manager in person.

Talked to the spa manager (Jako) in person - that did absolutely no good. Judging from the looks he gave me the next day, someone had obviously followed up on the notes which we left with Passenger Services.

Talked to the spa manager (Jako) in person - that did absolutely no good. Judging from the looks he gave me the next day, someone had obviously followed up on the notes which we left with Passenger Services.
I'd still include everything in your post-cruise questionnaire. Compliance should be without looks or snarky remarks. That's as unacceptable as the loud music.

Seems selfish all the way around. The OP wants the music low so they can’t hear it when in the gym; and the spin class wants it loud so they can hear it while they are having their class. It’s my understanding that spin classes are high energy and loud pounding music helps keep them in the rhythm and keep the energy up. So who’s more entitled to their way?

After all it's only an hour max, maybe they should close the gym when special "for pay" classes are being held.

Seems selfish all the way around. The OP wants the music low so they can’t hear it when in the gym; and the spin class wants it loud so they can hear it while they are having their class. It’s my understanding that spin classes are high energy and loud pounding music helps keep them in the rhythm and keep the energy up. So who’s more entitled to their way?

After all it's only an hour max, maybe they should close the gym when special "for pay" classes are being held.

I disagree. Those using the gym have an equal right to not get a headache from pounding music. It's up to Princess to come up with soundproofing or another solution. If the pounding music were next your cabin and you were told it's just for an hour and you should go to breakfast or use earplugs so you wouldn't hear it, you'd probably think differently.

I also was at the gym on at least 2 occasions when the music was blasting during the same cruise. There are 2 speakers mounted on the wall in the area where the spin and other exercise classes are taught, and 2 speakers are mounted on the wall facing the treadmills and elliptical machines. They are at about ear level when you are using the machines and if you are unlucky enough to be using a machine right next to the speaker, it is painful when the music is playing. I was using earphones to listen to the TV while doing my minutes on the treadmill and I was not able to even hear the TV over the noise. There seems to be no reason to have the music blasting in that part of the room. I sent a note to passenger services asking if perhaps those 2 speakers could be disabled as a way of solving this situation. Other passengers I spoke to in the gym during the classes when the music was playing, were in disbelief that the playing of the music that loud was necessary. I plan on adding a comment to my post cruise questionnaire regarding this. This was the second cruise I had experienced this on the Golden. Please do not think that we are complainers -- We had an exceptional cruise on the Golden -- This was just something that didn't make sense and is a problem that could be easily resolved so that everyone can have a good cruise experience.

Archived