Straw Market in Nassau worth the visit?

LovetoKruz

We will be cruising to Nassau next month and have not visited the Straw Market since they moved to their new location. Is it worth the trip? Is it mostly junk? Do they still sell copies of watches and purses?

On another note, we are thinking about a day pass at one of the hotels - any opinions on this or are we better off just staying on board and using the pool while its not so crowded?

We will be cruising to Nassau next month and have not visited the Straw Market since they moved to their new location. Is it worth the trip? Is it mostly junk? Do they still sell copies of watches and purses?

On another note, we are thinking about a day pass at one of the hotels - any opinions on this or are we better off just staying on board and using the pool while its not so crowded?

I was there in June of 2012, and they mostly just have "junk". But if you walk around long enough someone will offer to take you to a side street store where they still sell the purses and whatnot. :D

I agree - side streets for watches, necklaces, etc - but you could just buy a watch on the ship.

The straw market is mostly made in China. Don't waste your time walking there but you will walk by if you walk to the Hilton which offers a nice day pass.

NO. Its not worth going inside.

I get off the boat & walk around the other shops.

If you haven't done Atlantis its worth the trip but not when its cool outside. Most restraunts have poor service & the tips are put on the bill automatically.

DON'T GO!!!! Unless you've got nerves of steel. Just a glance at anything and they're all over you to buy ANYTHING whether you looked at it or not!!! If you look at a dress, they want you to buy a basket, or ANYTHING!!! The aisles are crowded and narrow. If you go stay on the outer edges so you can make an escape:D

It will be an experience if you've never been there.

I did not think the Straw Market was worth it, as others have said, it is mostly junk.

The Hilton, which is within walking distance, has a day pass for around $60 and includes a food/drink voucher (not sure how much the voucher is worth).

The Sheraton Cable Beach also offers a day pass, it was $25 when we went in Oct 2011. You need to take a taxi or the jitney to get there. It is a very nice resort and I enjoyed the pools. Did not go out on the beach, but it looked nice also. One of the pools has a swim-up bar, but the service was very slow the day we were there.

Also, Junkanoo Beach is a public beach and is within walking distance of the port.

Nassau has become our day to stay on board and enjoy an empty ship. Why pay for a hotel when you have a whole ship to yourselves? I find the straw market to be hot, crowded, and the vendors are pushy. I don't have any desire to visit it again.

Sheesh. It's not a leper colony. Ya it's mostly crap and I wouldn't budget any time for it but if you want to kill an hour, why not.

My kids (young adults) enjoyed it last trip. BTW the whole "downtown" of Nassau is kindda rinky-dink not just the straw market.

Sheesh. It's not a leper colony. Ya it's mostly crap and I wouldn't budget any time for it but if you want to kill an hour, why not.

My kids (young adults) enjoyed it last trip. BTW the whole "downtown" of Nassau is kindda rinky-dink not just the straw market.

But, you don't get attacked, unless you go into a jewelry outlet. But that's civilized, and they all "promise" they have the best at the best price;)

It is a perfectly good day to enjoy all that the ship has to offer. When I was 12, I spent 10 weeks with mu aunt and uncle who were assigned to Nassau. I loved it. It was a true tropical Paradise. It was still under British rule and everything was very formal. I used to walk to the straw market and then take the ferry to Paradise Island long before the bridge. That was 50 years ago. My most recent trip was the shortest port stay of my long cruising history.

I've bought a few straw items, and gotten my kids names put on the items. Not great shopping but if you haven't been, it's not terrible to give it one look. Next stop there we are doing the Colonial Hilton day pass. We have also done the snorkel excursion with Stuart Cove, and that was great...beautiful water...just have to venture outside the cruise terminal area.

I agree - side streets for watches, necklaces, etc - but you could just buy a watch on the ship.

The straw market is mostly made in China. Don't waste your time walking there but you will walk by if you walk to the Hilton which offers a nice day pass.

We did the Hilton in April 2011 for a very quiet pleasant rather inexpensive day..about $175 for 4 adult and 1 kid tix...lunch included.

Walked back through the straw market and almost choked to death it was so crowded and hot.

We bought a few tee shirts and some ankle bracelets at a store across the street from the market.

Doing this cruise again in June with just my 22yo DD, who didn't join us last time and we are looking forward to the Atlantis Aquaadventure...$119 each.

however, I know that on our cruise my DD will want to walk through the market because she has heard so much about it, the pushiness, etc. and the reason she will make a point to do the market is because she is a behavioral scientist/researcher and will be taking mental notes. She is also a Public Health/Emergency Preparedness Fellow and will be seeing it from the standpoint of a fire hazard/accident waiting to happen due to the crowdedness etc. Yeah..she is one of those grad student types.

DON'T GO!!!! Unless you've got nerves of steel. Just a glance at anything and they're all over you to buy ANYTHING whether you looked at it or not!!! If you look at a dress, they want you to buy a basket, or ANYTHING!!! The aisles are crowded and narrow. If you go stay on the outer edges so you can make an escape:D

It will be an experience if you've never been there.

yep, we walked all the way through it with the kids/teens, but we did it for the experience of it certainly not to buy anything.

I've never been to the new building yet.....Been to the old straw market a hundred times.....I think I'm in the minority, but DH and I actually like it!

People are pushy, of course.... but they're only trying to make a living....I've never found it too bothersome (Same as Ocho Rios, or anywhere else!!) A polite "no thank you", and a smile or a joke always works fine!

You need to experience it at least once. Just to say you did it.

Agreed! The inside of the building has a really cool rafter structure. It reminded me of shopping in Chinatown in NYC but we never heard the whispers of "Wanna buy a watch? Handbag?" like in NYC. That was fun going into the secret backrooms to see the fake stuff! :D

Agreed! The inside of the building has a really cool rafter structure. It reminded me of shopping in Chinatown in NYC but we never heard the whispers of "Wanna buy a watch? Handbag?" like in NYC. That was fun going into the secret backrooms to see the fake stuff! :D

The last time I was in Nassau the Straw Market had the exact same made in China knockoffs available from the illegal street vendors here in NYC. No need for me to travel all that way to see that again. We'll find something better to do in Nassau, and take advantage of the empty boat.

Archived