To Suite or Not To Suite?

apples1996

I have been on 7 cruises previously from inside rooms to aft balconies on four different cruise lines. I now try to stick strictly with Carnival or Royal Caribbean to try and reach the perks for being a frequent cruiser. I have NEVER been in a suite---mainly because I can't justify the extra money. My husband I are booked on the Carnival Victory with our 14 year old daughter and her cousin for June. I was thinking of surprising them with a suite but I didn't know if it was worth it or not.

I just need someone to justify the extra $500 if it is possible. I am booked on the Liberty of the Seas for next April in a Family promenade room which is 300 square feet. I couldn't pass up the $2200 total for all four for that size of a room. I may get lost in there after having 150-180 square foot rooms. LOL

Opinions please. Iam sitting hear dreaming of cruising and enjoying my snow day today without my lovely 6th grade students.

Thanks,

Sharon

Hebron, KY

I have been on 7 cruises previously from inside rooms to aft balconies on four different cruise lines. I now try to stick strictly with Carnival or Royal Caribbean to try and reach the perks for being a frequent cruiser. I have NEVER been in a suite---mainly because I can't justify the extra money. My husband I are booked on the Carnival Victory with our 14 year old daughter and her cousin for June. I was thinking of surprising them with a suite but I didn't know if it was worth it or not.

I just need someone to justify the extra $500 if it is possible. I am booked on the Liberty of the Seas for next April in a Family promenade room which is 300 square feet. I couldn't pass up the $2200 total for all four for that size of a room. I may get lost in there after having 150-180 square foot rooms. LOL

Opinions please. Iam sitting hear dreaming of cruising and enjoying my snow day today without my lovely 6th grade students.

Thanks,

Sharon

Hebron, KY

Hmm liberty of the seas is rccl. Assuming you mean the Liberty depends upon how much time you would spend in the suite. We wouldnt be there enought to make it worthwhile.

The girls would be impressed when you arrived in the suite and then it would be forgotten because they will only be there to sleep. The teen club and the friends they meet will have a lasting memory that will outweigh the suite. They just wont spend much time in the cabin so personally I would spend the extra cash on excursions that they will remember. :)

I just booked my 20th CCL and although I dream of a suite I just cant bring myself to pay the extra money when I dont even spend much time on the balcony when we have them

Have a great cruise and make lots of lasting memories which ever you choose

Sorry if my post was confusing. I am on the Carnival Victory this June and was debating on a suite.

I just mentioned that I would be on the Liberty of the Seas in a Family Promenade room which would be the size of a Junior Suite.

I have always wanted to try a suite room but the price has kept my temptation at bay. I was wanting infor for the Carnival Victory suite

We just did a suite with our DD 21 year old. If you are having 4 people in the room, especially teenager to young adult - having the extra room, closets, extra drawers, and a true dressing area was worth the extra cost. Plus you have the extra balcony space.

Would I book a suite again for just the 2 of us? Probably not but . . . if DD goes with us again probably.

If you aren't P or D you will get the early boarding, VIP lounge, and early disembark - again with 2 teenagers - might be worth it -

This was the first cruise with DD where we weren't tripping over her stuff because we ran out of drawers/closets

I would love the extra space. But I think it would depend on how much

time I spend in my room or on the balcony. If you are someone that is only in your room to sleep I might not spend the extra money. But if you are there a lot or use your balcony a lot It would be worth it.

We splurged for a suite on a 5 day cruise and although we loved the full size shower and dressing room did not feel like it was worth it. But then again I just booked a 7 day cruise 2 days ago and almost went for the suite again.... But then I thought I could use that $$ elsewhere.. So if $$$$ doesn't matter I would say go for it!! You should do it at least once... Have a great cruise!!

so on carnival its pretty simple...a balcony room then ocean suite and then grand suite. I've been in them all...balcony is the standard cabin, OS is 1 and 1/2 of a standard cabin and the GS is a double cabin.

there is a reason there are only 8 GS on most ships, because they don't sell many. I didn't book either suite retail, I've agreed to the upsell fairy offer.

The grand suite was a no brainer, it was so worth it, but I will say there was some wasted space, considering the bathroom was huge...but I will say the double balcony was incredible. We didn't need the space, but it was fun to have.

The Ocean Suite is nice. You get a bigger than normal bath with a full jetted tub and double sinks, a dressing area with additional closet space and more room overall. A really good fit for 3 people. A balcony that is 1.5 times the standard. not a huge difference

You also get to board with VIP being booked into a suite if that matters to you.

I'm not sure I would book retail. Its quite a bit more in most cases for the suites. The Grand Suites are pretty darn expensive but the OS are a bit more reasonable.

Another option is an AFT cabin that has the big wrap balcony. A lot of space outside and the room itself is arranged differently than the normal balcony...

So, consider the Ocean Suite. I think its a nice upgrade from a standard room. It gives you the extra space you're looking for in a standard room without being over the top like the Grand Suite is.

The only time I would ever, ever, justify a suite on Carnival would be a call from the upsell and you can get a deal. We have had a suite a couple times before and it isn't any great thing IMO. Keep in mind we have only ever had balconies previously.

We've only done a suite once (for our honeymoon in 2004). While it was nice and it made that trip even more special, we haven't considered a suite since that trip. We didn't enjoy it much more than a regular balcony (at least not enough to justify the difference in price).

We were in a suite on the Carnival Victory. We had booked a balcony and were offered an upsale for $300. We thought it was really worth it. But for $650? Not sure about that but the extra room would be nice for 4. It didn't seem significantly larger than a balcony cabin but the extra storage was nice and we loved the larger balcony. We tipped our cabin steward extra so he would bring an extra chair because we wanted 4 chairs on the balcony. Would we do it for $650? Probably not, but there were only 2 of us. You have to decide whether the extras are worth it for you. I think I would feel pretty crowded with 4 people in a normal room.

I just rechecked pricing and its not $500 more it would be $650 more. Now you have to REALLY sell me the reason. LOL

My dh and I received a 50% off a future cruise discount after sailing on a "Swine Flu" cruise. We decided to use that towards upgrading our Dream cruise to a suite. We were so excited about having a suite BUT that ended the minute we walked into the cabin and realized that the pictures we saw on Carnival's website were NOT the same as what the actual suite we had booked were. Other than a little extra room and (when I say little I mean barely noticable) the area leading into the bathroom having a small vanity with an extra set of closets along with a small tub in the bathroom there was absolutely no difference between any of our previous balcony cabins. Some suites may have a significantly larger balcony however ours did not.

Now for some that in itself may be reason enough to book a suite but not for us. We learned that not all suites are created equal as well. I believe the one we had booked was an OS. If you are able to book a larger suite with more room space it may be worth it to you.

Me personally I would take the $600 difference and spend it on experiences that would make my cruise more enjoyable vs a cabin that I spend very little time in. We are in ours for nothing more than sleep and shower. That money would be better spent on the ship or an excursion for us. I'd even consider buying a nice souvenir piece of jewelry from one of the ports with that extra money :)

I think if I were you I would opt for a balcony with an inside across the hall for the teenagers. Probably comparable in price, and you get two bathrooms, and maybe a little private time in the late evenings... :)

Totally agree with this! For the price of having 4 in a suite it has always priced out cheaper for us to have an inside across from a balcony.

Archived