Carnival Cruise Lines Defends Itself Against Beverage Program Complaint

LauraS

I am sure that the last sentence of that article will draw a lot of criticism here on the boards. This is the first that I've heard that someone being cut off after 15 drinks would be removed from the program and receive a refund for the remaining days.

(And many believe that the 15 a day limit is to maximize profits and has little to do with passenger safety.)

I am sure that the last sentence of that article will draw a lot of criticism here on the boards. This is the first that I've heard that someone being cut off after 15 drinks would be removed from the program and receive a refund for the remaining days.

I noticed that last sentence didn't have any quotes around it so no one from Carnival was quoted as saying it. It appears to just be the Editor's take from what she heard. Which if I was to guess was probably wrong.

I noticed that last sentence didn't have any quotes around it so no one from Carnival was quoted as saying it. It appears to just be the Editor's take from what she heard. Which if I was to guess was probably wrong.

The statement is too specific and far ranging to believe that it was not presented just that way by CCL, at the very least as background info not for attribution. But it does make one wonder exactly what the ramifications are for being cut off.

I think the program is a horrible idea and does great harm to the Carnival brand.

Why is it horrible and bad for Carnival brand? They have it on Celebrity and RCCL. Its just another option to purchase. If people are going to get drunk and act like a$$es they will do that with or without a drink packages.

Why is it horrible and bad for Carnival brand? They have it on Celebrity and RCCL. Its just another option to purchase. If people are going to get drunk and act like a$$es they will do that with or without a drink packages.

They also offer one on NCL now.

I don't understand why CCL is taking such a beating over it if so many other lines also offer it. Does anyone know if the other lines took a beating from ICV as well? Is it the 15 per day limit that's the issue? Is that more than on the other lines?

I think someone said if you get an Irish Coffee that counts. These types of things, and watered down beer, like the Mich Ultra for example, don't get a majority of people sloshed over such a long period of time (hours and hours on a sea day).

No one seems to know though if you can purchase a drink outside of the plan if you go over 15 and otherwise appear fine in the bartender's eyes. Not saying I do or would, but it is a curious question. If i'm on the plan and perfectly fine, I would want that right.

Arguably (not definitely), Carnival is not really assuming any more liability than it would have without the plan because the number of drinks a passenger orders has always been a matter of record on the guest's S&S account. But, it does put the onus on them to monitor and almost be like a babysitter of who drinks how much and when.

What they are risking more IMO, are irate passengers who might be cut off and start screaming that they didn't get what they paid for. That's gonna be their big headache, i think, and that would be a reason to remove it if this starts to surface.

But, it seems like they have accounted for this possibility by reserving the right to cancel the plan and refund the balance, but at the end of the day, that doesn't stop the same pax from drinking just as much, if not more, and it doesn't stop Carnival from being responsible if they over-serve him.

I like the Cheers concept, and wish it had been available when I sailed in June. But, I'm also a fairly responsible drinker and if Irish Coffees cut into my balance and I want a drink later, I'd want the right to get it. So if anyone knows the answer, please pass it along.

I don't understand why CCL is taking such a beating over it if so many other lines also offer it. Does anyone know if the other lines took a beating from ICV as well? Is it the 15 per day limit that's the issue? Is that more than on the other lines?

I think someone said if you get an Irish Coffee that counts. These types of things, and watered down beer, like the Mich Ultra for example, don't get a majority of people sloshed over such a long period of time (hours and hours on a sea day).

No one seems to know though if you can purchase a drink outside of the plan if you go over 15 and otherwise appear fine in the bartender's eyes. Not saying I do or would, but it is a curious question. If i'm on the plan and perfectly fine, I would want that right.

Arguably (not definitely), Carnival is not really assuming any more liability than it would have without the plan because the number of drinks a passenger orders has always been a matter of record on the guest's S&S account. But, it does put the onus on them to monitor and almost be like a babysitter of who drinks how much and when.

What they are risking more IMO, are irate passengers who might be cut off and start screaming that they didn't get what they paid for. That's gonna be their big headache, i think, and that would be a reason to remove it if this starts to surface.

But, it seems like they have accounted for this possibility by reserving the right to cancel the plan and refund the balance, but at the end of the day, that doesn't stop the same pax from drinking just as much, if not more, and it doesn't stop Carnival from being responsible if they over-serve him.

I like the Cheers concept, and wish it had been available when I sailed in June. But, I'm also a fairly responsible drinker and if Irish Coffees cut into my balance and I want a drink later, I'd want the right to get it. So if anyone knows the answer, please pass it along.

Guess what? Now that they have imposed a limit, if I don't get there, I'm buying my new friends drinks just to get there. And for some less than friends? Half price drinks!

Problem solved.

Guess what? Now that they have imposed a limit, if I don't get there, I'm buying my new friends drinks just to get there. And for some less than friends? Half price drinks!

Problem solved.

Really? The cruise line imposes a limit on how many drinks one person can get under their inclusive beverage program, and you decide that is a good reason to break the rules and give your limit away to other people if you don't drink it??? :eek:

And if the cruise line didn't impose a limit and someone got overly drunk and was assaulted, or murdered, or just died from alcohol poisoning, should the cruise line then be absolved of all responsibility because the drinker purchased the cheers plan?

Wow!!

Really? The cruise line imposes a limit on how many drinks one person can get under their inclusive beverage program, and you decide that is a good reason to break the rules and give your limit away to other people if you don't drink it??? :eek:

And if the cruise line didn't impose a limit and someone got overly drunk and was assaulted, or murdered, or just died from alcohol poisoning, should the cruise line then be absolved of all responsibility because the drinker purchased the cheers plan?

Wow!!

So what's stopped a passenger from doing this before the cheers program?

To even think that Carnival should be responsible for monitoring a passengers alcohol intake is just ludacris! What do you think this is? Big Brother? This isn't the government.

15 drinks a day? And people are complaining it's not enough? Take a look at the chart below

http://www.brad21.org/bac_charts.html

That cahrt is not accurate or lot of people I know would be dead.

Several of my friends can drink 12 beers over 5-6 hours and still manage to wake up and go to work the next day. Not to say they are not hungover, but the "death" statistic at 10 is funny!

Celebrity has had this same kind of program for years, and as others have said, so do other cruise lines now. I'm sure Carnival is being targeted because many (even those who have never stepped foot on Carnival) like to say Carnival is just a drunken fest at sea...an image many of us are tired of. These issues get more attention if they go after Carnival, because they know what people's perceptions can be of Carnival.

These issues get more attention if they go after Carnival, because they know what people's perceptions can be of Carnival.

Are you saying that the "perceptions" are not true?

We have sailed on four different cruise lines and Carnival does seem to have more heavy drinkers. Remember also that the company fosters this perception with the "fun ship" image.

Are you saying that the "perceptions" are not true?

We have sailed on four different cruise lines and Carnival does seem to have more heavy drinkers. Remember also that the company fosters this perception with the "fun ship" image.

Sometimes they aren't true at all...especially when someone has NEVER been on Carnival. I've had friends tell me not to go on Carnival because it's just one big drunken party, having only heard stories, then they find out I've already been on several, including two family vacations with my kids. when we actually have conversations about how it is not all that different than say RCI, which I've also been on, they hear a different perspective. I personally don't equate "Fun Ship" to "drunk ship", but all of this is just my opinion.

Just off the breeze today.. They didn't enforce the 15 drink max with cheers..

If I remember correctly, I thought I read on JH's FB page the the 15 drink limit was to alert the bartenders to keep an eye on the person to see if they needed to be cut off. But then again, if it isn't in the TOS for the program, it doesn't matter what anyone says.

I won't be doing the Cheers Program because for a 7 night cruise it would be almost $700 for both my DH and I to participate in and the drink selection is still somewhat limited. We wouldn't drink that much even including any sodas and juices we might have. I'll stick to buying bar credits and gift cards.

That $700 could pay for half of our next cruise...lol.

My total bill today was $161 including tips & $75 obc. Believe it or not I had plenty to drink... Would never do the cheers program but my friend loved it! First day he didn't buy cheers & was over 15 drinks... They allowed him to purchase cheers & they credited him all of his already purchased drinks on the first day

That cahrt is not accurate or lot of people I know would be dead...

ROFLMAO! The only thing I wanna know from that chart is why guys metabolize it so much faster/easier/better than women. And, if I can handle my beer better than a guy of my same height and weight, does that make him a sissy, lol... or a woman?:eek: (jk)

I do bet there are many in NOLA this w'end who are exceeding the Cheers daily limit.:p

Just off the breeze today.. They didn't enforce the 15 drink max with cheers..

ty:)

...I won't be doing the Cheers Program because for a 7 night cruise it would be almost $700 for both my DH and I to participate in and the drink selection is still somewhat limited...

That is such a huge consideration because they require everyone 21 and over in the cabin to participate. One person may want it, another not so much. That's a hefty price to pay for both if one won't use it.

I find it ironic that those that have never cruised Carnival feel they have the expertise to give an opinion of Carnival.

Then there are those that feel rules were created for 1 of 2 reasons, either for others, or to be broken.

Very simply, if you do not like the policies and procedures of any business, you move along or you accept it. You do not have to like, but you do need to accept it if you are going to use them. If you can not accept the polices and procedures, then move along to another company.

I find it ironic that those that have never cruised Carnival feel they have the expertise to give an opinion of Carnival.

Then there are those that feel rules were created for 1 of 2 reasons, either for others, or to be broken.

Very simply, if you do not like the policies and procedures of any business, you move along or you accept it. You do not have to like, but you do need to accept it if you are going to use them. If you can not accept the polices and procedures, then move along to another company.

Agreed!!

Archived