Uncovered Balconies

cruzin23

I am looking to book a balcony on an upcoming Golden Princess cruise and just had to ask... is having a completly uncovered balcony that bad?

To anybody out there who stayed in a room with an uncovered balcony - did you feel a total lack of privacy or did people mind their own business for the most part and not look down onto you. I would prefer a balcony with total coverage but I am finding cheaper prices for the uncovered ones so I just wanted to hear some input from past balcony cruises....

thanks a lot!!

We have only had covered balconies.

I didn't like them because:

1. we didn't get very much sun - just a little at the end of the day.

2. we could hear EVERYTHING the people on each side of us were talking about, (even whispering about), -- kind of like an echo. I was even embarrassed for them.

I did like them because:

1. more private from viewers, but not with regard to conversation.

2. less expensive

3. husband liked them because he didn't want more sun.

There was a funny story somewhere about a couple that was sleeping with their balcony door open. Someone a deck or so above them dumped their ice bucket overboard, but the ice landed on their balcony and scared the you-know-what out of them.:D

Just some food for thought.

We've had covered and uncovered balconies on the Grand class ships. Although I realized early on (at sailaway as I looked down from the pool deck) that anybody can see your balcony if you're on the Dolphin deck, I never felt as if all eyes were on me when I was out there. Nor did we experience any debris showers. We really liked the Emerald Deck balconies, though. Going north from LA to Vancouver, we had sun until about noon, we were conveniently located for dining and entertainment purposes (except the Horizon Court, which was *puff puff* six flights up) and other than a LOT of noise from the engines as we came into port, there wasn't much engine noise. I prefer the Emerald Deck, but only by a whisker.

To anybody out there who stayed in a room with an uncovered balcony - did you feel a total lack of privacy or did people mind their own business for the most part and not look down onto you. I would prefer a balcony with total coverage but I am finding cheaper prices for the uncovered ones so I just wanted to hear some input from past balcony cruises....
We had uncovered balcony on the Med cruise of the Grand Princess. My major problem was that there was no shade, and it got very hot on the balcony such that we couldn't use it.

The other negative is that a major enjoyment of the cruise is for my wife and I to have breakfast on our balcony, dressed in PJ's and night gown. The visibility from upper decks made that impractical as well. Yes, looking up we typically saw people at the railing above looking down at the sea (and us too?). We would much rather have an enclosed balcony - it provides shade and privacy, which is part of our ideal cruise.

I would feel very exposed in an uncovered balcony, as we are on our balconies a lot, and in all forms of dress. I've noticed most people do not use their balconies as much as we do -- so that being the case, they are not out to look down on the uncovered ones. At the least a semi-private (half covered like on Caribe deck) balcony is a must for us.

That being said, I think that if your neighbors are interested in knowing what is going on on your balcony, they can easily find out. There are openings between the edges of the sides and the plexiglass front rails are somewhat reflective. And if you've ever been friendly with the neighboring balcony owners, you know that it is easy to peek around the partition at the rail to say hello. We have never had a problem using our balcony as we wished -- I think everyone tries to ignore any activities on the neighboring balconies and give each occupant the right to privacy.

We have sailed many times in Dolphin deck minisuites. The lack of cover isn't a major issue. Most people seem to respect your privacy and are far more interested in the shore, or are themselves sitting or laying down and unconcerned with what anyone else is up to. You do have to pay a little attention to how you are dressed. Occasionally it gets too warm to stay out there for a long period of time. If you want to lay out and get some sun, remember that all that white paint is highly reflective and you are getting more than the standard dose of sunshine.

Another disadvantage of uncovered balconies is any clothes you may air out there will get soaked if it rains. You can still sit on a covered balcony in a downpour. There are many places on the ship where you can get sun but a cool shady and private balcony is appreciated.

We had a uncovered one on the Golden Princess and hated it. No one mentioned that the room was very hot as well. We had to keep the drapes closed so that the room remained cool. The sun just streamed into the room. We had the air-conditioning checked. They told us to close the drapes. No point in having a balcony room it you have to keep the drapes closed. We would never get an uncovered balcony again.

I personally prefer the "1/2 covered, 1/2 uncovered".

When protection from a brutal sun in required, you can stay under the covered portion, but you can take in the rays when you want by moving your chair.

Never have been bothered by other people looking down or at our balcony.

We had uncovered balcony on the Med cruise of the Grand Princess. My major problem was that there was no shade, and it got very hot on the balcony such that we couldn't use it

I had an uncovered Dolphin Deck Mini-suite. The Direct sun was unbearable and at least some shade would have been greatly appreciated. I did not have a problem with the privacy issue. It wasn't a big deal

Here's a picture of the Caribbean Princess with the decks labeled: http://image14.webshots.com/15/2/19/16/338121916JXKhAH_ph.jpg

The Grand Class ships are identical to this with the exception that they do not have the Riviera deck. The Dolphin deck which is all minisuites (except for the aft-facing cabins) are fully exposed balconies, and the Caribe deck balconies are half covered and half exposed.

We were on the Dolphin deck and had no issues with lack of privacy or shade. The thing that was kind of a pain was that while the ship was moving it was very windy, enough that we didn't ever bother eating out there. We haven't had that problem with covered balconies.

We had a mini-suite on the Caribbean Princess (Dolphin Deck) last December with an uncovered balcony.

I have to agree with Spongerob .... no problems and we enjoyed the sun and never felt as if anyone was peering at us.

I would book another one with no hesitation at all.

Enjoy!

We had a mini suite on Dolphin Deck. It was a little hot at times and we sometimes had to close the drapes in the afternoon to keep the cabin cool.

One advantage was looking directly down and out to the sea. (not looking down on other people and cabins.). If you didn't turn around and look up it was like having the ship to yourself. (The Dolphin deck cabins hang out over the life boats, so you can look directly down to the water)

We had the uncovered balcony in a Dolphin minisuite on the Golden and loved it. Once I got over the fact that other could see us I really enjoyed the openess and we loved sitting right outside our stateroom and getting sun. We actually used the balcony on our last cruise more than ever before in the traditional balconies. We'll be back on the Dolphin deck on the Golden next month.

We had covered balconies on the Dawn and the Sapphire; both cabins were on Baja deck. On the Dawn to the Caribbean we didn't notice too many people using their decks--probably at the pool instead. However, on the Sapphire to Alaska, EVERYONE seemed to be on their decks. People were shouting back and forth and you could see everyone eating breakfast, having drinks, etc--too much exposure for me.

I prefer the covered balconies. I sun burn easily and I love the idea of being outside, watching and listening to the water without having to lather up with sunscreen. Last year on the Sapphire we had an uncovered deck and found out that people were watching as we had the special breakfast while cruising by the glacier. The chairs were also wet several times and we couldn't use them as much.

Was on the Dolphin deck on the Diamond Princess in March. The uncovered balcony did not bother us at all. Turn around, look up and wave at your neighbors. Good experience and remember, they don't care anymore about you than you about them.

Archived