Getting there...

ducklite

I've been looking at the (very limited) ways of getting to PPT.

At this point there seem two be two logical ways of traveling there--one is ATN and the other is Air France.

We are adverse to going regular economy.

Seeing as how ATN's business class doesn't offer a lie flat seat, it appears that it's really not a whole lot different than premium economy on Air France except in price.

We are looking at taking a night flight out of LAX whichever way we decide to go.

Has anyone flown both ATN business and premium economy on AF? I'd love some feedback.

AF is considering cancelling its LAX-PPT service, as it has lost money for the last seven years. They have agreed to stay until the end of 2014. Beyond that, who knows.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5565748/

Suggest you go to flyertalk.com and search in the AF forum for info on this routing and premium economy

Hawaiian Airlines has service to PPT(Tahiti) once a week. Sat departure. They leave Hnl around 5 pm, arrive around 10 pm. Sunday dep, from ppt leaving after midnight, check in on sat night. Hawaii is on the same time zone as ppt.

A few years back, we took there flight and it left on Friday night. Wish they still had the friday dep. The flight time to Ppt is 5 hours.

So there is another flight to PPT;):cool:

Zoey4545

We looked at that and ruled it out quite quickly.

Flying from HNL will add a lot of time, and we don't want to get there that late on Saturday. We want to get in early Friday morning and spent the day adjusting to the time zone, and then be able to board at 3:00 so we have time to explore the ship, unpack, have a nice dinner and don't feel like zombies walking off the plane and onto the ship.

If the US/AA merger would happen quickly enough I'd be in good shape--I'm sitting on half a million US miles.

I'm not willing to move them around to convert to DL miles, not worth the loss. I'd rather pay cash for the economy plus tickets to PPT and use the US miles for Australia/NZ down the road.

With upcoming trips to PPT, the UK, and another European destination over the next few years, it seems like booking the DL/AF combo to get DL miles might be a good option. I can use DL to the UK and whatever other European destination we decide on and end up with enough miles for either a great upgrade or free tickets.

AF is talking of canceling their LAX to PPT run at the end of 2014. I can't imagine what ATN would start charging. Air New Zealand used to do a LAX to PPT on its way to Auckland.

I flew a few times biz class on ATN and was actually able to get a couple of free economy tickets out of them before they made it harder with their last couple of changes in their Club Tiare program. I have finally used up all my points with them with my upcoming September trip.

We took AF's premium economy from LA to Europe a few year's ago. We would never take it again.

The big problem was the shell seats. They were like rocks. My girlfriend was so miserable on the way to Europe that I had to find chair pads for the return trip. They helped a little.

However, the reclining mechanism was also awkward. If you look at other web sites, you will find numerous people have hated the seats despite the extra legroom..

The lights on the shells snake out from the back of the shell and were hard to adjust so they focused correctly but weren't in the way.

My girlfriend's entertainment center was broken on the return flight and there were no other seats. AF France had her fill out a form so she would get Delta air miles (not many) as compensation but they never showed up in her account.

I knew the food would be the same as in Economy. It was lousy.

We took ATN coach from LA to PPT and it was no fun but we would take it again over AF premium economy even if the prices were the same.

Archived