What does "formal" dress mean on Ecstasy

brichar499

There are no formal nights anymore. On Elegant nights most people dress in what used to pass for business casual. Frankly you could probably get away with wearing or not wearing most anything. Only swimwear and wife-beaters seem to draw the slightest look from staff.

From what I've been able to discern each maitre'd has his or her own level of enforcement of the dress code- some are more tolerant than others.

The change from formal to elegant goes back some years now. What I have noticed is the allowable attire becoming less elegant with each passing year. The OP specifically asked what was the least one could get away with. Shorts and jeans falls well within the get away with category in my recent experience.

What would be appropriate in a casual place of worship.

So, shorts, t shirts and sneakers? (If you attend the place of worship I attend...:o)

It seems like most people dress up for Elegant Night in their "Sunday Best."

I recall seeing one couple dressed in formal attire with tux and ball gown. They looked amazing but out of place since they were the only couple dressed in formal wear.

Happy Sailing. It's a great way to explore the world!

Most recently I did a black knee length wrap dress. The cruise prior it was a long black skirt and a sparkly tank top.

I did have a tablemate who's luggage was misdirected by the airline. No one said anything when she showed up for Elegant night in a velour track suit. She was more than ecstatic when her luggage made it to the ship at the next morning's port.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Having only cruised with CCL (+8) for years now I am kinda torn here. We have a TON 'elegant' pics taken at those photo op stations during elegant night. I mean we have a bunch! Many tux pics, suit/tie pics. We have a cruise in a few on the Magic and this time I want to break tradition of the non-denim and wear jeans. Granted I will be wearing a sports jacket, stupid expensive ostrich boots, Daytona watch (if you feel me) and dress shirt ect ect.

Admittedly I have chimed in on people wearing jeans in the MDR on 'elegant night'. Not that I am opposed but a tshirt and ripped jeans caused me to chime in. Anyway, as it stands right now I am not allowed in wearing jeans, regardless of what else I am wearing.

Your thoughts?...from seasoned cruisers?

Just off "Ecstasy" recently, and going again in two weeks. (LOVED this ship) I saw quite a number of men in collared shirt, and slacks on formal night. Women wore everything from long dresses, to slacks and blouse. Bottom line, look decent, but you don't have to dress to the "nines" aboard "Ecstasy". :cool:

"SKY"

Having only cruised with CCL (+8) for years now I am kinda torn here. We have a TON 'elegant' pics taken at those photo op stations during elegant night. I mean we have a bunch! Many tux pics, suit/tie pics. We have a cruise in a few on the Magic and this time I want to break tradition of the non-denim and wear jeans. Granted I will be wearing a sports jacket, stupid expensive ostrich boots, Daytona watch (if you feel me) and dress shirt ect ect.

Admittedly I have chimed in on people wearing jeans in the MDR on 'elegant night'. Not that I am opposed but a tshirt and ripped jeans caused me to chime in. Anyway, as it stands right now I am not allowed in wearing jeans, regardless of what else I am wearing.

Your thoughts?...from seasoned cruisers?

There are jeans and there are jeans. I think you'll be fine. There was a guy on my October cruise who was wearing the "dress" denim with the boots, jacket, and a bolo tie. He looked better than half the guys in suits.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

We saw faded denim jeans and t-shirts enter "eleformal" night and it was irritating...like, "WHO DOESN'T READ THE FUN-TIMES?!" Granted, not everyone has the same wardrobe/clothing budget, but to not even make an effort to clean up is kind of insulting to those of us who want to take a little extra pride 1 single solitary night of our cruise.

Okay...back to the loving place....:o

Archived