Cpap machine?

teaach

I use a Cpap machine for health reasons. Is there a convenient plug near the bed in an aft balcony? I also would bring a new extension cord. I also need distilled water for the humidifier portion of the machine. Do I have to bring my own distilled water? I have been using this machine for about a month and it has resulted in a significant reduction in my blood pressure, a problem I have dealt with for about 30 yrs.

I also use a CPAP and travel with it all the time. You will need to bring a small extension cord (just pack it with it) and maybe a small powerstrip if you have other things that you will need to charge at night. (also pack with it) There is only 1 outlet in most cabins.

You can order distilled water from Special needs (it's about $4 a gallon) or bring your own. I just use the tap water. Distilled means that all the minerals are removed and when the ship uses the reverse osmosis process to get the drinking water from the sea water, it removes the minerals also.

I also bring duck tape to tape down the extension cord on the carpet so that no one trips over it at night. And then I put my machine inside the little bedside table during the day, so it doesn't get damaged by the steward when he is cleaning the room. Just unplug the cord and stash the machine there and leave the cord taped to the carpet.

You can also notify Special Needs that you are bringing it. There is a form on the Carnival site.

Have a good cruise!

Deffinitly put the extension cord in your cpap bag, you will need it!!! Hubby has been using one for at least 5yrs and the only time he uses water of any kind is at home in the winter since it is so dry. He was told he wouldn't need to add the water in the Caribbean because of the humidity. It makes it much easier not having to carry it around. I cant help you about if the ship provides it or not since hubby leaves the water portion of his machine at home.

Thanks for all the input. I knew the helpful people on this board would have answers.

I have used a CPAP since 2005. I got a new UL approved orange heavy duty extension cord and an orange three prong adapter and always keep them together in my CPAP case. They appear to be one unit, so there is never an extra question about the plug. Make sure the cord is around 12-15' long as it has to come across the room from the vanity desk and have enough length to lay flat. I bring some wide medical tape (something else that they won't question too much) and tape it to the stool and the carpet. Nothing worse than tripping over it on the way to the bathroom! I use the coffee table to house it, so I usually sleep on the right side of the bed.

I concur about the water in the ship being adequate for use, if you need the humidifier part. I get very dry when I sleep, so I use the humidifier feature year round. I have never had a problem with ships water.

My husband just got a CPAP machine, and we're going on our first cruise, so this thread is great! We're assuming they can't confiscate the extension cord since its for medical reasons.

That is generally regarded as factual, although there have been prior postings where cords were taken. Make sure it is in good shape, rightly so they are concerned about fire hazards! I got a "kinkless" cord that stays very pristine looking with a big UL approved tag on it.

Our cruise in 2005, the first with my CPAP, they provided us with a cord. I think as CPAP use has risen AND the photography stations have multiplied, there are not as many cords available as there once were!

I have been a CPAP user for the last 9 years and on my last cruise they provided a extension cord for me. The water on the ship is reverse osmosis and is fine to use. The only reason to use it is to keep the humidifier part of the cpap from getting calcuim build up. It has no health purpose. CPAP are very common these days......it will not be an issue:D

We just went on the sensation last month and when we got in the room we only saw one outlet by the desk. However, we moved the couch and found another outlet near the floor to plug his cpap in. So, you may have to move some furniture and look hard to find standard outlets. But I agree with everyone else that you should bring a heavy duty extension cord and/or power strip just in case. Just FYI, he went to guest services before we found the other outlet to ask about getting an adapter (because there were european looking outlets there too) but they were not much help at all. They basically said tough luck even though he tried to explain to them it was a medical device.

I traveled on the Magic in December. Here's what I learned. My cabin stewards knew nothing about the $4 gallon of distilled water that was supposed to be available. Nobody that I spoke with knew anything about it either. I ended up using one of the giant bottles of drinking water that they supply you with. I think it was around $4 too. It was more than enough for our week long cruise.

Yes, bring your own extension cord. It's a pain but there's no other real option. Also, don't put your cpap in your checked baggage. Medical equipment is supposed to be carried on but it doesn't count against your carry on allowance on the boat or on most airlines. You can also put other stuff (like an iPad) in with your cpap case but I wouldn't go overboard with it. :)

I traveled on the Magic in December. Here's what I learned. My cabin stewards knew nothing about the $4 gallon of distilled water that was supposed to be available. Nobody that I spoke with knew anything about it either. I ended up using one of the giant bottles of drinking water that they supply you with. I think it was around $4 too. It was more than enough for our week long cruise.

Yes, bring your own extension cord. It's a pain but there's no other real option. Also, don't put your cpap in your checked baggage. Medical equipment is supposed to be carried on but it doesn't count against your carry on allowance on the boat or on most airlines. You can also put other stuff (like an iPad) in with your cpap case but I wouldn't go overboard with it. :)

Just an FYI....1) there is no carry on allowance on a Carnival ship (or other line that I am aware of). 2) if you put non-medical items in your cpap case, an airline may then count it against your allowance.

On the Magic in 2011 and the cabin steward supplied me with an extension cord. I had brought one but he told me not to use that one. Also, it did not count as a carry on and no one ever asked any questions or even looked in the pack.

DONT count on them having an extension cord available, once cruise a friend forgot his and they had no extra's !! He bought one at the first port.

I too use a cpap and you will definitely want to bring an extention cord. As for the distilled water you probably won't need it on the ship. The humidity in the Caribbean is plenty. I put water in mine the first night on the ship and it was too humid to breathe with the machine. It felt like I was inhaling hot steam. Enjoy your cruise. We are sailing the Freedom in April. Count down begins!!

DH has had a CPAP machine for a couple of years now. We just got off the Conquest yesterday and did have an aft stateroom and he did not need the extension cord he had brought along. The cord from the CPAP reached the outlet on the desk just fine without the extension cord. He unplugged it each morning. At home he uses distilled water, but on the cruise (or when traveling for work) he just uses bottled water.

I've had my CPAP machine for about 6 years now, and have been on two cruises along with a couple of one week trips to Mexico with it. On the cruise ships, the room stewards have told me that they are required to report that I have one. The last steward loaned me an extension cord when the one I brought wasn't long enough. I will probably bring a 12' to 15' one on our next cruise in April. That length should reach the side of the bed near the balcony, because my wife always takes the side of the bed closer to the bathroom. I always used to worry about not having distilled water, but now I just use a bottle of drinking water. What I was told is that the minerals from water that is not distilled, can leave mineral deposits on the resevoir. I have never seen any kind of mineral buildup from using drinking water for a week here or there, to the point where I don't even worry about it anymore.

I have carried it on once on a flight. It was kind of a pain, because they make you pull it out of the case, like a laptop. I usually just pack it in my checked luggage, surrounded by clothes for protection. But I have worried about what would happen if the airline lost my luggage. My wife would shoot me if she had to sleep in the same room as me without it. She is a light sleeper, and I snore really loud without it. As a matter of fact, we had separate bedrooms for a few years before I got my CPAP machine. Sometimes I miss those days (just kidding)!

Archived