Heathrow express to London Paddington

CUTTERSAM

seems the way to go surely, but will I be able to get a taxi over to the Marriott Grosvenor house with no trouble?

I actually feel badly hiring a cab for the shortish distance (bad for the cabbie with the light fare) but I cannot imagine schlepping 13 days worth of luggage for several blocks.

I could taxi all the way from Heathrow but I see the estimated fare to be 60 pounds !! Cuts into my tea money.

Thanks much

seems the way to go surely' date=' but will I be able to get a taxi over to the Marriott Grosvenor house with no trouble?

I actually feel badly hiring a cab for the shortish distance (bad for the cabbie with the light fare) but I cannot imagine schlepping 13 days worth of luggage for several blocks.

I could taxi all the way from Heathrow but I see the estimated fare to be 60 pounds !! Cuts into my tea money.

Thanks much[/quote']

I did exactly that in November. I think most taxis in line at Paddington would be expecting people to be going to one of the big hotels anyways, so shouldn't be a great shock to them... :D

Yes, there will be plenty of taxis on the rank and they are obliged to take you (and I think there is a dispatcher on the rank usually - they used to run taxi shares during peak times, not sure if they still do).

Paddington to the Grosvenor House is a pretty long walk, especially with luggage, and there's no convenient way of doing it on the tube, so cab is your best option :)

We took http://www.justairports.com a private car service from Heathrow to our hotel in the Victoria area. To get a quote use your hotel's postal code (ours was SW1 and cost 34GBP). Cost for the car service is based on distance, size of car and luggage. They meet you outside the exit door of the airport. Well worth the money after a long flight.

Those prices are certainly very reasonable and it's my impression that car services are getting more popular from Heathrow.

It would be interesting to know how long they took to get into town - if you arrive off an overnight you are likely to hit pretty heavy traffic into London, and private hires can't use bus/taxi lanes.

But for the convenience of door-to-door I can see the attraction at that price in a strange city :) Always good to have options, but then you have to choose!

Archived