Just back from Ecstasy - Cabin Robbed!

JennSTX

My items weren't out in the open. The bracelet was in a drawer and my purse was in a locked piece of luggage. The luggage was locked when I got back to my room. It was a combo lock and I remember snapping it back on the luggage - however, I can't recall if I scrambled the numbers back. Because it would be impossible to "crack" the combination - I must have fogotten to do that.

We were robbed in about a 2 - 2.5 hour time frame, our room was made up during that time. Our room was the very last room at the front of the ship in a dead end "cul-de-sac" like area- no other room were across from it - only custodial closets. How a passenger could have enough "cajones" to go to the end of a hall with no escape - into a room - and have enough time to go through drawers and try the locks on my luggage while the room was being made up without be caught is impossible to me. I know who did it.

They searched us thoroughly and to answer another poster I have no idea if they frisked the staff like they did us.

I have been reading other posters WONDERFUL experiences with Carnival and have been amazed how generously they were treated, how sympathetic and nice. It just rubs salt in my wounds :mad: to see that the discrepency in my experience & others.

As for the money, I know I am stretching to want compensation. However, the more I am treated like crap, the angrier I get, and the more I feel like I deserve better treatment. I don't think I am alone in this nature. If THAT VERY NIGHT the security would have acted sympathetic, nice, and EXPLAINED things to us - I never would have joined this forum - I would be so over it.

"We are so sorry, we can't imagine how this happened, you two have been good sports (nice frisking you Mrs. G) and you have missed the formal night & captain's reception so here is a drink card for 4 drinks ( or some petty token like that), we are so sorry but policy states that is all we can do. Contact __ on your return and if you ever rebook with us we'll give you a ______. We are going to search __rooms and do an investigation and if we find your items we will return them, if not you will get a letter."

I am not a cruise security or protocol expert people!!!! Telling me the truth is OK!!! That would have been acceptable.

Not turning the cabin upside down, frisking us, filling out forms in triplicate, NO SYMPATHY only coldness, the rude purser, the ruder Guest Relations...GEEZ, it was so preventable.

I really don't see how I can get slammed for putting my crap in what I thought was locked luggage and having people act like I left a wad of cash sitting on top of the dresser!!!!!:mad:

I manage a large supermarket. I deal with people and their problems all day. Unfortuntely, as times have changed, so has the way we are required treat people. We used to say "we're sorry" when someone slipped and fell, or had their purse stolen, or bought a bad item-but- we no longer can because statements like that get turned against us when their insurance company or attorney gets involved. Customer service and satisfaction is a very fine line and I'm sure Carnival does not want to give the appearance of being at fault. It is unfortunate that those of us who are honest have to suffer because of the grifters, but that's how our world is.

Quick story- Lady comes in to return over $25 of dog items (leash, collar, etc) She doesn't have a receipt but is crying so hard because her "dog died" that my service counter person returned her money. Everyone felt so badly for her and there was plenty of sympathy. Long story short- we found out she stole the items and returned them for cash. :mad: It's hard to be sympathetic after you've been burned a few times and I'm sure Carnival gets more claims than we could ever imagine.

We were robbed in about a 2 - 2.5 hour time frame, our room was made up during that time. Our room was the very last room at the front of the ship in a dead end "cul-de-sac" like area- no other room were across from it - only custodial closets. How a passenger could have enough "cajones" to go to the end of a hall with no escape - into a room - and have enough time to go through drawers and try the locks on my luggage while the room was being made up without be caught is impossible to me. I know who did it.

You cant say for certain who did it... You assume the cabin steward did it..

It wouldnt make any sense for a cabin steward to open your luggage, search through it for money, find the money, hide it, then close your luggage and lock it (in the exact same way you left it previously.)..

Anyway,

I hope you next cruise will be better!

My items weren't out in the open. The bracelet was in a drawer and my purse was in a locked piece of luggage. The luggage was locked when I got back to my room. It was a combo lock and I remember snapping it back on the luggage - however, I can't recall if I scrambled the numbers back. Because it would be impossible to "crack" the combination - I must have fogotten to do that.

I really don't see how I can get slammed for putting my crap in what I thought was locked luggage and having people act like I left a wad of cash sitting on top of the dresser!!!!!:mad:

As you've said several times, you left your bracelet in the drawer. There is no lock on the drawer. Your bracelet went missing. I'm still not sure how you are so sure the cash disappeared from your purse. And of the exact amount. I'm wondering why they wouldn't take things other than your cash, like your credit cards, etc.

As I've said, it's really unfortunate that this happened to you. However, it would be nice if you took some personal responsibility in all this. I think that's a huge part of the problem here. You are unwilling to accept any of it, and from a third party's perspective, your carelessness makes you partly to blame. Just acknowledge that you shouldn't have left things unlocked and unattended. Instead of just going on and on about how bad Carnival fleeced you.

And it's really not that difficult if I were a passenger and wanted to see if there was anything in your room worth taking. A lot of times, the cabin stewards don't even know who is staying in those rooms since they never see the guests. And even if they do, I could easily approach a room and enter it. If the steward asks, I say something like "oh hi, I'm Jen's sister, I'm on the deck below. We're sitting by the pool and she told me she forgot her sunglasses and asked me to come get them. She said they were either on the nightstand or in one of the drawers."

I would never do that, of course, but it could happen.

As I've said, it's really unfortunate that this happened to you. However, it would be nice if you took some personal responsibility in all this. I think that's a huge part of the problem here. You are unwilling to accept any of it, and from a third party's perspective, your carelessness makes you partly to blame. Just acknowledge that you shouldn't have left things unlocked and unattended. Instead of just going on and on about how bad Carnival fleeced you.

And it's really not that difficult if I were a passenger and wanted to see if there was anything in your room worth taking. A lot of times, the cabin stewards don't even know who is staying in those rooms since they never see the guests. And even if they do, I could easily approach a room and enter it. If the steward asks, I say something like "oh hi, I'm Jen's sister, I'm on the deck below. We're sitting by the pool and she told me she forgot her sunglasses and asked me to come get them. She said they were either on the nightstand or in one of the drawers."

Very well said.!!!

As you've said several times, you left your bracelet in the drawer. There is no lock on the drawer. Your bracelet went missing. I'm still not sure how you are so sure the cash disappeared from your purse. And of the exact amount. I'm wondering why they wouldn't take things other than your cash, like your credit cards, etc.

I would never do that, of course, but it could happen.

*applauds*

I agree with your ENTIRE post!

Quick story- Lady comes in to return over $25 of dog items (leash, collar, etc) She doesn't have a receipt but is crying so hard because her "dog died" that my service counter person returned her money. Everyone felt so badly for her and there was plenty of sympathy. Long story short- we found out she stole the items and returned them for cash. :mad: It's hard to be sympathetic after you've been burned a few times and I'm sure Carnival gets more claims than we could ever imagine.

sign68.gif

Wow! Thats crazy!!!! These days it so hard to trust people....

I dont understand why someone would do something like that.. confused24.gif

Wow! Thats crazy!!!! These days it so hard to trust people.... I dont understand why someone would do something like that..

Not so crazy.

I remember working in a supermarket in the 70's. Someone brought me a couple of bags of groceries to return. Something didn't seem right (who returns bags of groceries?), so I accepted all the items, added them up, asked them to fill out the form, and THEN I told them that once the transaction cleared through our central office, we would send them a check to the address they listed on the slip. (Boy, did I have balls that day).

They looked a little stunned, and asked for a reciept, so I gave them the yellow copy from the void book.

About a half an hour later, I get a call from our sister store on the other side of town, aasking what I was doing, as they were trying to cash in the yellow slip.

When she came back to them, they were gone.:cool:

Not so crazy.

I remember working in a supermarket in the 70's. Someone brought me a couple of bags of groceries to return. Something didn't seem right (who returns bags of groceries?), so I accepted all the items, added them up, asked them to fill out the form, and THEN I told them that once the transaction cleared through our central office, we would send them a check to the address they listed on the slip. (Boy, did I have balls that day).

They looked a little stunned, and asked for a reciept, so I gave them the yellow copy from the void book.

About a half an hour later, I get a call from our sister store on the other side of town, aasking what I was doing, as they were trying to cash in the yellow slip.

When she came back to them, they were gone.:cool:

LIke I said before it is so hard to trust people these days. You never know if they are being deceitful or truthful.

Assuming that people have problems with their room safe, isn't there a centrally-located secure storage thing (like a hotel desk safe) to use as an alternative?

I'm not saying that the OP should have done this...I'm just wondering if that type of service is typcally available.

Just wondering what kind of safes they have on board. I've never been on a ship theat required a key from the staff?

Sorry, but this is possible because it happened to my wife and I on the Constellation last December....the safe in our room was locked when we got on board...the last people that had the cabin "locked" the safe with their security code....so we had to get our room steward to get the master key for the safe from the head housekeeper.

When he came back, he used the key to open the safe which cleared out the memory on the past security code....so it is possible what JenSTX says

But I don't think I ever made anything up just to get attention. As I believe the OP is doing.

Give it a rest already....geeezzzz....I read these boards a lot and seldom post because the attitude on this board is terrible.... Why would someone make that up "just to get attention"?

Please, really, read your posts and think about it before you start trying to make some drama....

Give it a rest already....geeezzzz....I read these boards a lot and seldom post because the attitude on this board is terrible.... Why would someone make that up "just to get attention"?

Wile:

You should post more often. :)

Everyone here has their own opinions and ideas.. ;)

By the way, where on the beach are you? :D

Wile:

You should post more often. :)

Everyone here has their own opinions and ideas.. ;)

By the way, where on the beach are you? :D

Mid 50's and Collins....great area....close enough to South Beach, yet without the hassles.

Yeah, I should post more, right? I used to post a lot on another cruise board, but they got too out of control with the accusations and belittlement of other posters... then they started posting "personal" posts and not cruise posts so I got burnt out on the whole thing.

Mid 50's and Collins....great area....close enough to South Beach, yet without the hassles.

Yeah, I should post more, right? I used to post a lot on another cruise board, but they got too out of control with the accusations and belittlement of other posters... then they started posting "personal" posts and not cruise posts so I got burnt out on the whole thing.

We are almost neighboors...

I work around where you live and I live around 95 and Collins..

Well on this board everyone is very nice... :)

There are very few who flame.... ;)

We are almost neighboors...

I work around where you live and I live around 95 and Collins..

Well on this board everyone is very nice... :)

There are very few who flame.... ;)

Where do you work around there? That's cool....well hello neighbor. So you are a Sunny Isles person then, eh? I almost bought in the Waverly in that area...sweet place

Where do you work around there? That's cool....well hello neighbor. So you are a Sunny Isles person then, eh? I almost bought in the Waverly in that area...sweet place

On Collins and 96 I make a left into Bay Harbor Islands.. Very close to the Bal Harbour Shops...

I work as a paralegal.

The Waverly is to overpriced. :rolleyes: .. Well come to think of it ... What isnt in Miami-Dade.????

Hmmm......This post makes me rethink a necklace I "lost" on my first cruise, RCCL. It was not too expensive, a gold necklace with a seashell charm, special to me because my Mom and Dad bought it at the Cape and he is no longer with us. It was wrapped in tissue, but on the bureau. I thought the steward thought it was trash and threw it away. But now I wonder....Anyways, on subsequent cruises we always locked up our cash, credit cards and any jewelry purchases. That is just the way things are these days, unfortunately.:cool:

As you've said several times, you left your bracelet in the drawer. There is no lock on the drawer. Your bracelet went missing. I'm still not sure how you are so sure the cash disappeared from your purse. And of the exact amount. "

I know EXACTLY how much and in what denominations because right before we left the cabin I put the cash in my purse and counted it for my H because he was teasing me about spending all my $ the first day. You see, he handles all the $ & is VERY tight. Because we didn't realize EVERYTHING is on the sign&sail card I had brought cash for "my stuff" and then when I bough a drink or the pedicure I got - I handed him the cash. That way we kept track and he wouldn't bitch about me being "stuck".

Again, the cash was in my purse in what I thought was locked luggage. It was locked when we got back 2 hours later.

We know it was the cabin steward due to the weird cabin location, the small time frame we were gone & that our room was made up. Also, a guest without access would have robbed us differently - a person with a key is different.

Plus, the guys EVERY ACTION indicated that he did it. He couldn't look us in the eyes, was rude, etc.

Also, my Husband is from Serbia and speaks Serbo-Croatian & Russian. Guess what? He had a 15 minute conversation with them in Russian the first day!

They knew what we looked like, they knew we were traveling alone and that no one but us would be in the room.

Not taking responsibility? :eek: That's pretty harsh considering all that we DID do to protect our stuff, don't you think?

Jen,

I think most of us here do sympathize with you and can imagine how this must have affected your whole cruise. But I can see CCL's side also. Since they searched the assistant's room and came up with nothing, they have no solid proof that they were responsible for the theft. As bad as I hate to say this, I don't believe you are going to get any more compensation from CCL. I do agree, your treatment by them was not exactly comforting. Perhaps you would have felt much better if the letter offered their sympathy.

I hate that this did happen to you but your story has probably helped some newbies. Everyone needs to lock up their valuables and realize that even putting them in drawers may not be a good idea.

Even though this was a bad experience for you, it could have been worse. What if ALL of your cash, credit cards, and traveling documents were stolen??:eek: What would you have done then?

My advice to you would be to try to put this incident behind you. This cannot be good for your overall well being!:) Try to focus on your next vacation, instead!;)

I know EXACTLY how much and in what denominations because right before we left the cabin I put the cash in my purse and counted it for my H because he was teasing me about spending all my $ the first day. You see, he handles all the $ & is VERY tight.

Hmm. H is tight? You sure he didn't "hide" it from you to keep you from spending it? Could he have returned the bracelette? Have I watched one too many Columbo's or Perry Masons or even McMillan and Wife?

I believe the OP knew how much she had of each denomination. I always know exactly how much cash I have at all times and of what denominations. I have always been like that for some reason. I can tell you at any time with 100% accuracy. I cannot remember where my keys are, however, right now. That will take some searching.

I believe the OP knew how much she had of each denomination. I always know exactly how much cash I have at all times and of what denominations. I have always been like that for some reason. I can tell you at any time with 100% accuracy. I cannot remember where my keys are, however, right now. That will take some searching.

Wow N!! We must be kindred souls.....that sounds a lot like me!!

I am always fully aware of what's in my wallet and I can never find my keys :D .

My question is, what thief, whether a Carnival employee or another cruiser would take the time to open locked luggage, take out the money and replace the lock? Most thefts are crimes of opportunity. That usually means grab and run. Too big a chance of getting caught the more time they take. But the sad fact is everyone everywhere has to lock up their belongings. That's just the way it is and we're not going to change the world. As long as there are people who think for whatever reason that they're entitled to take what you have, you have to lock things up. I don't even plan on taking a purse or multiple credit cards on our trips this fall (WDW and cruise). I have locked my purse in a suitcase within a locked suitcase before because the more difficult it is, the less likely it is someone will take the time to look. As far as the money that was stolen, why would someone go into a locked bag looking and take a huge risk unless they knew they'd find something? And questioning someone you don't know about something that doesn't make sense is not flaming especially when everything doesn't exactly add up. I love how people totally trust someone who posts online that they've never met. What everyone has written is their opinion and they are entitled to them whether everyone agrees with them or not.

Archived