Disney Dream Back/toBack

pepsicruiser

I read a few posts where BtB was not desirable to some. I have to comment that if you have school age children with school work to do this works out great. After you disembark from one cruise you go to the conceirge area to await the second cruise. A very quiet area here for kids to catch up on their work and you to take in all the memories from first half of btb. It lasted all of 1 hour and then we were back onboard. Another issue was that being you had to go through the rotation of restaurants again with same menus was boring but that issue is a non issue as there are so many great choices on menus you get to pick something else. What I couldn't figure out is why going to Castaway Cay 2 times (once on each leg of cruises) would be a problem. Double the fun. Then there was the comment that the "shows" were repeated. Well as anyone who has cruised before you know there are too many things to chose from to do that doing the cruise 2x you get to pick what you want and if you missed something the first cruise you get the second one to catch up on what you missed.

I agree with you. We have done B2B twice on the Dream (4 night/3 night & 5 night/5 night) In regards to repeating menus, it wasn't an issue at all for us either. On the 3 night part of the 4/3, the head server asked if we would like any other food choices. My mom was fine with the repeating menus(so I for that matter) and I said I was game for anything so I had indian food 2 nights & thai food one night. (I would have been fine with repeating the menus too) We didn't ask for it, it was offered to us. On the 5/5, our server told us if we had any special requests, to let him know. We didn't but he did pick up on how well we each liked a few of the items(soup and a desert) on the first 5 nights and they were brought to us each night the second 5 nights. Again, we did not ask for this. The 2 stops at Castaway Cay was nice during the 4/3 but the 5/5 each had 2 stops there so we went 4 times in 10 days.

We don't mind eating in the same restaurants again either. We either got to try something different than the first time or we have the same thing again that we really loved. As for the shows, we decided to split up the shows over the two cruises. We picked a couple to see on the first leg and the rest on the second leg. Our head server met with us on the last night of the first cruise and asked if we wanted the same servers and asked what else he could do for us. Cannot imagine anybody complaining about taking two cruises!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The dining room food is great so I don't mind repeating menus. What I do look for is a B2B with different itineraries such as a Western Caribbean followed by an Eastern Caribbean. I have in the past done a B2B on two different ships from different cruise lines. It si great for variety but a bit of a pain dragging everything down a few berths at the pier and going through all the hoops of check in all over again.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I'm one of those people who weren't impressed with the 4/3 night combo.

I wasn't all that impressed with the menus in the dining rooms where I wanted to experience them a second time - plus, we were scheduled for AP back to back (last night of the first cruise and first night of the second cruise) and my mother has several allergies so she's limited in what she can eat, it just made for a bad combination.

For us, it was more than an hour off the ship. We were told to be off the ship by 9:30 (we were off the ship closer to 9am because there wasn't really anything to do and our room steward had already popped by - even knowing that we were on a B2B, she still kind of wanted us out the cabin so she could get started) and then didn't get back on until 11am (right before they started regular boarding). Add in attending the muster drill (which takes a while with the wheelchair - especially since they didn't let us go 5 mins early like they did on the 4 night cruise), we lost another hour or so.

And the topper - we missed castaway cay on the 3 night cruise so it was two seas days and a lot of complaining (from people who were bascially doing a 3 night cruise to Nassau and missed the reason why many choose DCL - the private island). The substitute sea day didn't have very many activities (which surprised me, since the 4 day cruise has a sea day, I would have assumed that they would have just implemented that schedule).

All of the movies and such were the same (and there is a more limited rotation on the 3/4 night than on a 7 night), it felt like the 3 night cruise was a repeat of the 4 night, just not quite as good.

To each their own I guess. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it and things worked well for your family.

This did not happen for us.

It's pretty standard for B2B cruisers to be asked if they wish to continue with the same servers on the second leg of the B2B. Possibly they didn't ask you because your particular servers were leaving the ship at the end of your first leg.

We were asked also and we so happy to have Egi again. He was wonderful. He entertained the kids and served whatever we asked for. I also asked if our seat in Animators restaurant could be moved closer to screens and we were give a great seat on second cruise where we had 2 nights in Animators restaurant. Luckily for us we had absolutely no issues weatherwise or service. Traveling with an elderly person in a wheelchair can bring on its own issues as I know firsthand.

It's pretty standard for B2B cruisers to be asked if they wish to continue with the same servers on the second leg of the B2B. Possibly they didn't ask you because your particular servers were leaving the ship at the end of your first leg.

No they were not. We saw our servers in the dining room.

• 3 months later...

I've done a back/to back on Disney Cruise Lines. Not on the "Disney Dream," but on the "Disney Magic" or the "Disney Wonder" and no problems.

It was one of the first times, or the first time, Disney cruised to Alaska. So the first trip was from L.A. to Vancouver, B.C. Then from Vancouver, B.C. to Alaska and back to Vacouver, B.C.

Of course, I was able to keep the same cabin for both back/to backs. So I didn't have to move my stuff from cabin to cabin, but I do believe they would have moved my stuff, if I had to change cabins.

As for having to get off the ship, I just took one of the shore tours offered by the ship.

And there are enough entrees on the menu that I don't try that first time, that I don't mind eating in the same restaurant off of the same menu more than once.

We did a B2B on the Dream in December. We did the MDR full rotation on the first leg (3 day) and then did Palo and Remy's on the second. Like others have said, I took it as an opportunity to try a couple of different things although I ate some of the same things that I really liked.

We didn't end up going to any shows, just a couple of movies. Mostly we spent the time of the early show (we had late dining) out by the adults only pool which was really deserted during that time.

Off at 9:30 am and back on by 10:30. Our head server asked if we wanted to be with the same servers (we did) so he had us moved from our original location and managed to seat us with a couple we'd shared a table with the previous year. Had great fun. If I'd known that they were going to be there and seated with us, I might not have done Palo's and Remy's (although Remy's was awesome!). Or I might have done it the first leg. Although I really enjoyed the company of our dining companions on the first leg too.

Because there is a lot of repetition on the shorter cruises and fewer activities, it gave us more opportunity to just chill out, not worry about missing something, sit around and relax more. Usually our cruises are more active and we're running around to stuff or on excursions. This was a really lovely relaxing 7 days, something we really needed just then.

Our next one will be more of the rushing about kind (Jun Med 12 day). I'd do a B2B again.

I don't think the question is whether a B2B is "bad," It is not. The question is whether a 7 night is "better" than a 4/3 B2B.

Sorry, on this one, I have to vote for the 7 night cruise (and I've don't both). One time when the B2B option is great is when the ship is going to different places....for instance Baltic/repo to Barcelona, TA/Med..

Any compelling reason to do a 3/4 day back to back on the Dream vs. just doing a 7 day on the Fantasy? We sailed on the Fantasy last month and just started looking at options for next year. Toying with the idea of doing back to back sailings on the Dream just to say we have been on a different ship, but sounds like it is probably more hassle than it is worth. I suppose if it was significantly less expensive it might be worth considering over the 7 day.

Any compelling reason to do a 3/4 day back to back on the Dream vs. just doing a 7 day on the Fantasy? We sailed on the Fantasy last month and just started looking at options for next year. Toying with the idea of doing back to back sailings on the Dream just to say we have been on a different ship, but sounds like it is probably more hassle than it is worth. I suppose if it was significantly less expensive it might be worth considering over the 7 day.

When we did our 4/3 the reason was that we could not make it to Port Canaveral for a Saturday departure. Doing the 4/3 B2B allowed us to depart on Sunday.

The only advantage I can see is that you have done 2 cruises....so if you are worried about increasing your Castaway Club status, you have done that. You also get 2 stops at Castaway. Otherwise, we've done lots of 7 night cruises. There is a lot more to do (more entertainers, etc) on the 7 night as well as better ports (personal opinion, I know).

Actually our B2B on the Dream ended up being 3 stops at Nassau with no debarking the first day and 1 stop at CC due to Hurricane Irene. Not the best B2B experience to say the least! Both islands suffered major damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We did a B2B aboard the Fantasy in Sept/Oct last year ... Western Caribbean then the Eastern ... would do it again in a heart beat ... love B2B :D

This is totally different from the OP question.

B2B on Fantasy is different ports and a 2 week vacation - no complaints.

B2B on Dream is 2 stops in Nassau in 7 days. Fine if you like it but rarely do you hear folks clamoring for "more stops in Nassau please".

I don't see the point of a 4/3 b2b. Essentially you lose a day in the middle of your cruise with the disembark/embark/muster drill. The regular activities aren't being offered on the second embarcation day, and who wants to go to a gym open house twice? I would much prefer a 7 night, unless there was some huge reason to consider the 4/3. Honestly, we would likely do the 4 night and spend 3 days at WDW over a b2b.

Jmho.

I don't see the point of a 4/3 b2b. Essentially you lose a day in the middle of your cruise with the disembark/embark/muster drill. The regular activities aren't being offered on the second embarcation day' date=' and who wants to go to a gym open house twice? I would much prefer a 7 night, unless there was some huge reason to consider the 4/3. Honestly, we would likely do the 4 night and spend 3 days at WDW over a b2b.

Jmho.[/quote']

In general, I agree with you--7 nights is better. However, there are those circumstances when it works for a given family situation...like when we couldn't get to PC for a Saturday departure or the above example of the Magic not doing 7 nights.

In general' date=' I agree with you--7 nights is better. However, there are those circumstances when it works for a given family situation...like when we couldn't get to PC for a Saturday departure or the above example of the Magic not doing 7 nights.[/quote']

I'd just pick another cruiseline that did a 7 day that fit my schedule! Disney doesn't wow me that much, but I know others will make concessions to get on their ships.

We are all different :)

Archived