beer tasting

MsJ

Hello, We will be on the Jewel 2/17. I have been to wine tasting but never a beer tasting. Has anyone here ever done one? What was it like? What kind of beer? Did you think it was worth the money?

Thanks.

Marianne

Where are you from?

I may get flamed for this - but - if you are from US then *maybe* it is worthwhile. If you are from Europe and a beer aficionado then no - it is a joke.

Martini tastings are usually a much better deal. (I speak as a beer monster).

Hello, We will be on the Jewel 2/17. I have been to wine tasting but never a beer tasting. Has anyone here ever done one? What was it like? What kind of beer? Did you think it was worth the money?

Thanks.

Marianne

I found it more fun than the wine tasting session on the same ship. It was 90 percent attended by males while the wine tasting was 50 50 male and female attendees. I found the beer tasting more informal and more humorous. The moderator had us taste five different imported beers and ales and because we were "good" group, he added another beer to taste. We got about six ounces of each beer to taste. Then at the end, he had a contest with questions about what he had said. The first one with the correct answer got either a free bottle of imported beer, a NCL t shirt or a glass beer mug. I would definitely attend another. There was more camaraderie and jokes between the beer attendees than between the wine participants.

If you like American Light Lager, the beer tasting is a good deal.

The ships have an extensive list of boring/awful beer.

I was in the room with a fellow giving a beer class. He neglected to mention that the company he worked for owned all of the brands in his class. Lots of swill.

Where are you from?

I may get flamed for this - but - if you are from US then *maybe* it is worthwhile. If you are from Europe and a beer aficionado then no - it is a joke.

Hey..hey...hey...times have changed. We (US) are just loaded with hundreds, no thousands, of craft and micro breweries now. Ummmmm...good. However....they are not aboard NCL ships unfortunately. I can't imagine a beer tasting on the ships.

Hey..hey...hey...times have changed. We (US) are just loaded with hundreds, no thousands, of craft and micro breweries now. Ummmmm...good. However....they are not aboard NCL ships unfortunately. I can't imagine a beer tasting on the ships.

Indeed, the US has the broadest beer variety of any country in the world.

Unfortunately, it isn't represented on cruise ships nor in gas stations.

Beer tasting on the ship.......it's a good price if you can stomach the swill. Martini clinic is more fun.------more, uh, hmmmmm, well, .....chicks there.

I gather that US is (finally) getting things together re craft beers (well done - it took long enough!)

When the offerings on board for UK beer are the likes of Boddingtons (ugh); Bass (OK when live - dull when pasteurized) etc. I'll pass thanks. At least there are a few reasonable German bottled beers...

Did the beer tasting on the Spirit a couple of years ago (made the mistake of booking a cruise during March Break). Enjoyed it a lot - the pub was the only place on the ship not overrun with drunken college kids, and the beer discussion was fun. Not for serious connoisseurs though - the beers were premium brands but not microbrews.

Got to try 6 as I recall, and a good variety of origins and types.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I gather that US is (finally) getting things together re craft beers (well done - it took long enough!)

When the offerings on board for UK beer are the likes of Boddingtons (ugh); Bass (OK when live - dull when pasteurized) etc. I'll pass thanks. At least there are a few reasonable German bottled beers...

Had some friends from Australia visit us about ten years ago. All the beer I had to offer him back then was Miller Lite and Coors Lite (were my beer choices at the time). He whined and whined about my sorry selection of beers. He wanted a "good" beer like they have in Australia. He finally settled on Coors out of my sorry selection for the visit. They then visited again this past fall for a couple of weeks. I was so excited, knowing that I would have a super selection of excellent beers now available for him. I stocked up with fine Stouts, Porters, Ales, IPAs, and such. He hated them all and settled on Budweiser this time. Maybe NCL figures most of their guests are just going to be happy with Bud and Coors. Go figure.......

Hi, Thanks for everyones input. I am not much of an expert on beer but I do like to try different kinds. I like brands that are mainstream and also like microbrews too. In my younger years I could drink things like martinis but the older I get the more mixed drinks and wine give me a hangover even after one or two. Not so with beer. The beer tasting does sound like fun.

I am going to be on the Sky in march. I am hoping for a beer tasting.. Not for the beer, but for a good time.

Being 23, whenever I go to wine tasting I usually get treated like crap, "Older" people usually think that kids have no appreciation for good wine.. Or that they can't tell the difference between any wines.. The beer tastings are usually more friendly towards the younger crowd! I am hoping this will change when I approach 30.

I just brewed my first beer! I called it "Twisted Red Head" I love twisted teas.. and it was an amber beer :) It actually came out perfect..

About to do a batch of wine next.. I hope that turns out alright..

Where are you from?

The only flame from me? There are beer aficionados in the US as well. My husband, for instance, wouldn't do the beer tasting on a bet. Shrug.

DML

The only flame from me? There are beer aficionados in the US as well. My husband, for instance, wouldn't do the beer tasting on a bet. Shrug.

DML

I appreciate that there are beer aficionados in the US (I've had a few interesting conversations with Luddite amongst others). My point was that the US has had a lousy reputation for beer over the years and that some of the beers on offer at the tasting from other countries are actually pretty poor. They are not good examples to educate people as to the true glories of bitter, IPA etc..

As a Brit real ale monster I accept that when I cruise I cannot enjoy some of my favourite brews (cask-conditioned ales and cruise ships do not mix).

The cruise lines could do a lot better with their selections of bottled beer however.

I am going to be on the Sky in march. I am hoping for a beer tasting.. Not for the beer, but for a good time.

Being 23, whenever I go to wine tasting I usually get treated like crap, "Older" people usually think that kids have no appreciation for good wine.. Or that they can't tell the difference between any wines.. The beer tastings are usually more friendly towards the younger crowd! I am hoping this will change when I approach 30.

I just brewed my first beer! I called it "Twisted Red Head" I love twisted teas.. and it was an amber beer :) It actually came out perfect..

I should pair you up with my kids. They have been both going to Napa and other wine areas around the world with us since the youngest was 2. He is now 15. After the first trip, he went to his Baptist preschool and starting swirling his cup of grape juice during snack time, saying "it smells like wine." They definitely know their way around wine terminology etc. because they have been around their wine snob parents. Maybe you can teach the older people a few things.

I should pair you up with my kids. They have been both going to Napa and other wine areas around the world with us since the youngest was 2. He is now 15. After the first trip, he went to his Baptist preschool and starting swirling his cup of grape juice during snack time, saying "it smells like wine." They definitely know their way around wine terminology etc. because they have been around their wine snob parents. Maybe you can teach the older people a few things.

Do you know what happens when you try to tell a know it all something.. Especially a know it all that is older than you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know what happens when you try to tell a know it all something.. Especially a know it all that is older than you..

No, what happens?

I would welcome your knowledge at a wine tasting.

No, what happens?

I would welcome your knowledge at a wine tasting.

Oh, I figure that everyone has come across a know it all wine snob. However, they will stop talking, listen, then continue talking about something else without acknowledgement

the best wine I have ever had was years ago in the North end of Boston during one of the festivals held there. It was homemade....sold in small cups from a card table set out on the side walk......I have drunk a lot of wine since then but that remains my favorite

Marianne

When I did the beer tasting (I am a woman, btw) on POA in January, most of the beers were locally brewed in Hawaii. Also, all participants received a POA beer stein. It was a lot of beer for the price and I would definitely recommend it for that ship in particular.

I am also a woman who likes beer. We travel around the country in the summer in our travel trailer and we like to try the local brews wherever we are. One time we ended up in Vermont at the Harpoon Ale..store/brewery/beer garden......has some great beer there.May be mainstream but it still tasted good:)

I am also a woman who likes beer. We travel around the country in the summer in our travel trailer and we like to try the local brews wherever we are. One time we ended up in Vermont at the Harpoon Ale..store/brewery/beer garden......has some great beer there.May be mainstream but it still tasted good:)

My brother lives across the street from the Harpoon factory in Boston. I love their IPA and their fall seasonal.

• 3 weeks later...
Indeed, the US has the broadest beer variety of any country in the world.

Unfortunately, it isn't represented on cruise ships nor in gas stations.

Beer tasting on the ship.......it's a good price if you can stomach the swill. Martini clinic is more fun.------more, uh, hmmmmm, well, .....chicks there.

Not sure if you're subscribed to this....and this has been available for an hour already, but thought of you when I read it:

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2013/02/28/115_bottle_of_beer_expected_to_sell_out_in_hours.html

Stephen

While it's true that the majority of beer consumed in the US is horrid (Bud, Coors, Michelob, Miller, etc.), we've actually had good beer for a long time. It's just become much more widespread in the last 10 years and a lot more people are starting to enjoy good beer.

I grew up in Oregon and turned 21 in the early 90's. Even at that time, there was a wide variety of quality beer to choose from, mostly produced locally and regionally.

The difference is that back then, the distribution was much more localized.

We now live in North Carolina, and our local grocery stores have a decent variety of good beer, including quite a few produced in various states all around the country.

In my opinion the beer tasting on the Jewel in December was not worth the money. They didn't get a full bottle - just a small cup - and it was 5 beers you could buy full sizes of for $6 or $7 each - we priced it out. I think it was Grolsch, Newcastle, Red Stripe, Fosters & Amstel Light. Not positive. Now Martini Tasting is a do not miss...but share with a friend because 4 or 5 full martinis in an hour will make you miss dinner.

I grew up in Oregon and turned 21 in the early 90's. Even at that time, there was a wide variety of quality beer to choose from, mostly produced locally and regionally.

The difference is that back then, the distribution was much more localized.

We now live in North Carolina, and our local grocery stores have a decent variety of good beer, including quite a few produced in various states all around the country.

I got excited when I read this, hoping you were still in Oregon. I was going to ask for you to pick me up a case of "Cherry Adam from the Wood" from Hair of the Dog when it comes out later this year. ;)

Archived