Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Finally got in. As of 11:25 AM EST per Carnival's official release'

"Currently, public and cabin toilets are operational in certain sections of the ship"

The word toilet was in fact specifically used.

Which is what I said earlier that got that firestorm started. Just because some toilets are not working, does not mean others are not. Thanks for the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Currently, public and cabin toilets are operational in certain sections of the ship"

What they failed to say was that it's probably something like only toilets in a 2 foot "window" that are working - for a grand total of 10. I can see how they would never be clean if they're the only ones working. Wouldn't take much to back a toilet up again if it was being used constantly for 10 hours.

Either that, or it's only toilets in inside cabins that are working - where it's so hot and stuffy no one can stand to use them!

Thanks to everyone who has been relays the messages from their friends and family. In some cases it seems to be just fueling the fire around here, but it's appreciated by me! :). I hope that all of your loved ones can get home soon with nothing but a really crazy story to tell!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Im stuck here under 3 feet of snow and would gladly trade places with them in a minute!:cool: LOL when life hands you lemons---make lemonade!

You haven't read the thread, have you, lol?:p

I'm stuck under 3 feet of snow too, didn't see a plow until 3:30 this morning and they plowed the driveway back in, and I certainly wouldn't trade places with anyone on that ship, passenger OR crew. I feel terrible for them. This cannot be fun in any stretch. Maybe okay for the first hour or a day, but not anymore. Conditions are deteriorating rapidly, and that can easily be seen as almost inevitable and unavoidable. :(

Exactly!

While some toilets were working, it's obvious many were not. So those posters who posted having non-working toilets were totally correct.

So sorry to hear that. You are now the fourth different person who has reported this. When the first one did, they were flamed by numerous people saying they were lying - that Carnival said bathrooms were wroking so it must be so.

One poster even said - why would Carnival lie. As I responded then - public relations spin

Now that we have four different independent reports from people actually on the ship contacting loved ones that the bathrooms are still not working, it is clear you can not believe the Carnival PR

The PR spin doctors know how to tell the truth, but stretch it. I still believe both sides are telling the truth, but I also fully believe that when Carnival is saying some toilets are working, we're only talking about a handful. Their "stretch" of the truth would no doubt go from the ship to Progreso at this point!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

guess if i was ever put in the situation of a boat without sanitary facilities stalled on the open seas i would be among the few who would be able to deal with primitive bathroom facilities. i've been to a few places where an outhouse was a real luxury and squatting was the norm.

not to make light of the situation but without much food people will be drying up pretty fast and as long as they can piss at an open drain things will be ok. pleasant, hardly, but doable.

and i do find it interesting that probably half the posts in this thread are about the bathroom issues. we sure have come a long way when elimination is more an issue than in-take.

Me too....and I also find it very strange how many adult people refer to the restrooms/toilets as "potty".

Our daughter-in-law just called her husband about 15 minutes ago. She said thee are no bathrooms working. She said they are using plastic bags and giving them to the crew. If there are some working she doesn't know about it.

Thank you for the update. That is same thing my wife and her friends have been saying.

The smell must aleady be getting intense! :eek:

My daughter, who is on her honeymoon on the Legend, just called. She said they went really fast last night and have been beside the Triumph most of the day. They are still loading supplies onto the Triumph but have been assured they will be in Cozumel on time. Great to hear from her! And am glad the Legend came to the aid of her sister ship. God speed to those on the Triumph.

Its also likely that some passengers are not aware of working facilities. Making a PA announcement that X toilets were operation might result in A> a stampede and B> overloading limited capacity. I suspect they are allowing word to filter out more organically to keep things under control until/if they can get more online.

Exactly!

While some toilets were working, it's obvious many were not. So those posters who posted having non-working toilets were totally correct.

I received a similar message from my parents earlier this afternoon (we were texting back and forth quickly) but got flamed for saying the US Coast Guard and Carnival are lying. Be prepared for the flame.

Nice to have you back Okiecruzer. All we really know is what those aboard are relaying to us. It is possible a few toilets were working for a bit and aren't again. When passengers tell loved ones that toilets aren't working then obviously not enough are working to make an impact. Thanks for keeping us all informed Okiecruzer.

You haven't read the thread, have you, lol?:p

I'm stuck under 3 feet of snow too, didn't see a plow until 3:30 this morning and they plowed the driveway back in, and I certainly wouldn't trade places with anyone on that ship, passenger OR crew. I feel terrible for them. This cannot be fun in any stretch. Maybe okay for the first hour or a day, but not anymore. Conditions are deteriorating rapidly, and that can easily be seen as almost inevitable and unavoidable. :(

yes Ive been reading for hours and a bad day aboard ship is better then a good day at work.

I asked Kelli what was on the menu- She said they are eating vegtable sandwiches.

If sombody was evacuated due to a broken leg, it was probably a crew member that met up with this bunch of P.O.ed Texas womenfolk! :D

I asked her if they are being towed yet. Waiting for reply. It takes a long time from when she sends and I receive the text.

Thanks for the updates

I feel sorry for the passengers without a passport, but weren't they warned this is the very reason to GET ONE in the first place? We have always had them for everybody in the family just for this very purpose when cruisng, although air flight was not involved. Same as always, those that don't live by the rules will be the ones yelling most to have them broken FOR THEM.

Carnival needs to make this a cruis requirement, to protect idiots from themselves, as this DOES happen.

just finished reading a couple of gossip rags that were talking about the ship. and this quote struck me as extremely funny:

'She said that that would be the last phone call I was going to get. They have no power, there's no way to charge cell phones or anything.

its kind of amazing how one's priorities in an emergency situation can become so absolutely mundane. i could think of a thousand other things i would want power for before i would even think about charging my phone. it isn't like anybody on the other end of the line is going to resolve the situation. YMMV

Archived