Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

My mom said "it's been a cluster****". She said that she has "a feeling the cruise from hell will be a nightmare when they get to Mexico. It's going to take a long time to get 3200 passengers home (either via Cancun or Merida)."

It doesn't sound like they're giving the passengers a lot of info. We were able to text back and forth when the most recent ship was there giving supplies. (It was about an hour ago).

As a family member, I'm disappointed in Carnival's PR. The last update on the website was at 11:30 am. I'm finding more info on this thread than through "official" sources. And the information on the phone line from Carnival has either been partially incorrect or just flat out WRONG (like when they told me the tugs were there and they were moving when that was NOT the case).

I'm so sorry. I'm guessing you were listed as her contact on the funpass info?

My mom said "it's been a cluster****". She said that she has "a feeling the cruise from hell will be a nightmare when they get to Mexico. It's going to take a long time to get 3200 passengers home (either via Cancun or Merida)."

It doesn't sound like they're giving the passengers a lot of info. We were able to text back and forth when the most recent ship was there giving supplies. (It was about an hour ago).

Thanks for the update. I'm sure that Carnival doesn't have at lot of info to give just yet. It must be a headache trying to get enough flights and deal with passport issues too. Carnival would know who and who do not have passports and are probably trying to deal with that as well.

Wow, how judgmental. Apparently you missed the part about them returning on chartered aircraft - not commercial. This could be used to fill the "closed loop" requirement, and passport regulations can be waived very easily.

But, since this is your first post, and rather inflammatory at that, I'll just assume that you're a troll passing through....

People flying into the US on charters have the same CPB regulations as those on commercial airlines.

If the ship is over 100 miles off shore, how are people getting texts from friends and family members onboard? I assume the cellular at sea isn't working and that's too far out of range to pick up towers from land.

I agree. I think there are some "stories" being told here.

I had a laugh with your quote from your mom. The cluster one.

As a family member, I'm disappointed in Carnival's PR. The last update on the website was at 11:30 am. I'm finding more info on this thread than through "official" sources. And the information on the phone line from Carnival has either been partially incorrect or just flat out WRONG (like when they told me the tugs were there and they were moving when that was NOT the case).

Agree. I hope you can get more information for her/from her/to her.

I'm so sorry. I'm guessing you were listed as her contact on the funpass info?

My dad is but he's going out of town tomorrow (and I'm the one picking her up in Galveston since I live close). He calls me after their calls but he's getting frustrated too. Then he calls the number and I call and we get two different stories. He called the coast guard yesterday and so we knew the ship was going to be towed before Carnival released that info.

If the ship is over 100 miles off shore, how are people getting texts from friends and family members onboard? I assume the cellular at sea isn't working and that's too far out of range to pick up towers from land.

I think the messages were sent while the other two Carnival ships were nearby offloading supplies.... using the Cellular at Sea from those ships. Notice that now that the other ships have left there have been no more messages.

The USCG has every right to board the ship for any reason or no reason at all.

Some reasons would be to assure that the fire is out and to assist in any damage assessments and preliminary investigation, passenger evaluations, etc.

Dude, you need to put some thought into your posts. The USCG nor any other branch of the US armed forces can just board any foreign flagged ship they want, while it is in international or another country's waters. Some may consider that an act of war.

Originally Posted by dwjoe

Possible ... they might also decide to deal with everyone en masse ... but I have no definite info. Does anyone have examples from prior incidents? I thought of the Splendor, but can't really use that as an example, since it was towed to San Diego.

Yes, Star Princess. I don't recall any special treatment. It basicly was deturmined by where home was and was a plane going in that direction. That was in 2005 and things may have changed. The biggest problem was that all ID was lost in the luggage. Customs put us on the "watch list" so they stopped just short of a full body inspection.

Yes, Star Princess here as well.

I can tell you that there was not going to be any special treatment and since we had nothing but the sooty clothes and on our backs I took matters into my own hands.

I booked the 5 of us on an American Airlines flight coming into Miami and had a rental car waiting to take us back to Fort Lauderdale. I got in touch with a friend who called a hotel in Jamaica that I have stayed in and a chain that I use frequently and booked two rooms. I paid for it and slowly waited to be reimbursed.

(I was thankful to be home the next day, especially when I woke up the following day with a 104 fever and coughing up black soot with smoke inhalation infection.)

Our friends who got to stay on the ship as their room wasn't effected did not get sent home until Monday.

As far as passports, I had grabbed 4 out of the 5 and we had no issues getting back into the US. They were aware of the situation and after checking us out, we were allowed back in.

If anyone has family onboard, once you know have more definitive answer you can always try booking them home and get reimbursed.

To those on board, I hope that you all get home safely. Your vacation was ruined, life was horrible for a few days but you will have a story to tell for years.

I agree. I think there are some "stories" being told here.

My mom was able to text by using the Wifi when the Legend was restocking supplies. It was for just a few minutes. She said she'd try to get in touch with me when they were in Mexico.

Once they do reach Mexico who is going to prioritize who gets on the plane first? You know everyone will want on that first flight.

I would think it would be the same as airlines, Priority passengers first and then those with mobility issues and those with children. I would hope that priority was taken out of the mix though but that would be unlikely because those are loyal customers.

I had a laugh with your quote from your mom. The cluster one.

Agree. I hope you can get more information for her/from her/to her.

Thank you! I was laughing too. My mom is probably the LAST person I'd ever expect to use that phrase. She seems to be in as good spirits as she could be given the situation.

I think the messages were sent while the other two Carnival ships were nearby offloading supplies.... using the Cellular at Sea from those ships. Notice that now that the other ships have left there have been no more messages.

I thought about that, and that is a valid point. That is the only thing that can make sense. Although, not sure on the distance that cellular at sea has and I bet the ships still maintained a safe distance between them and used the lifeboats to ferry supplies over.

Definitely something to think about for sure. I guess the best thing will be to wait and hear the stories from the passengers once they actually get back to land.

Once they do reach Mexico who is going to prioritize who gets on the plane first? You know everyone will want on that first flight.

:eek::eek::eek: You're right...

after seeing some crazy stuff on you tube just over pax going crazy and organizing protests in the atriums over something as expected as missing a port because the Captain wouldn't sail into a hurricane, what in the world is going to happen when you actually have 3,000 plus people who all have a legitimate interest and right to get home and want to be first!:eek: However they decide will just have to be accepted, bc in this situation, CCL will not be able to tolerate even the least amt of civil unrest. Everyone's gonna have to keep it in check -- no matter how frustrated they may be at whatever method CCL decides to implement.

My dad is but he's going out of town tomorrow (and I'm the one picking her up in Galveston since I live close). He calls me after their calls but he's getting frustrated too. Then he calls the number and I call and we get two different stories. He called the coast guard yesterday and so we knew the ship was going to be towed before Carnival released that info.

Oh boy, well, by then she should be in progresso and will hopefully be able to contact you directly by cell. I thought your dad was on that cruise, but now I realize i mixed that up with another poster. sorry. Hope you hear from her.

Dude, you need to put some thought into your posts. The USCG nor any other branch of the US armed forces can just board any foreign flagged ship they want, while it is in international or another country's waters. Some may consider that an act of war.

The USCG is there to help and will board any ship to make sure US citizens are okay.. Inless its a russian or chines ship I dont think US cares about pissing off little smaller countries..

I think you are over simplifying it. Some people won't be US citizens. Others will have passports. Even if they don't force everyone to get a passport through the Embassy before they leave Mexico, there will be extensive delays as they positively verify everyone without a passport via any number of extra screening procedures. Anyone without a passport should expect to spend hours at CBP on their way back into the US.

I could be wrong, but I'd expect CCL will give priority to those with passports--possibly sending them home via commercial flights where seats are available. Just like an airline does in an irr ops situation, re-book the easy ones first and then move on to the rest.

The ones that are not US citizens should be easy to spot - they'll be the ones carrying the foreign passports. Only US citizens are allowed to cruise with the government issued picture ID and BC on the closed loop cruise.

To keep the "closed loop", they'll use chartered aircraft. It will be treated the same as if they closed the last leg of the closed loop by tendering ashore.

As noted, its not about pure power, but how that power is applied. The actual amount of force the tug can bring to bear is actually a lot (I didn't say more than the Triumph, but definitely more than coast guard cutters, etc.)

Not sure where you got your information but I'm finding that the Triumph has approx 85,000 HP while ocean going tugs develop 27,200 HP.

My mom was able to text by using the Wifi when the Legend was restocking supplies. It was for just a few minutes. She said she'd try to get in touch with me when they were in Mexico.

Sorry you are even having to defend that. Best of luck with your mom's safe return and keep us posted with updates.

Archived