Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

But, as long as the seas are calm, what would be the difference between transferring to a different ship, then it is when tendering into a port?

If the ship were sinking, I wonder if that would be a concern? :confused:

And those who don't want to leave could stay. OPTIONS. Right now, they have NONE.

I wouldn't want to be vacationing in a public rest room. In a pool of every excretion imaginable.

I'm sure the 3,000 people whose vacations would be cancelled by this action would send nice thank you notes.

And that in return would be 3000 Triumph passengers sending 3000 thank you notes to the ones whose vacation was "ruined".

Now, think about it. Whose vacation was actually ruined?

Again, I'd have no problem postponing my vacation to "save" someone out there. I'd like to actually meet the person that would complain that their cruise was cancelled or delayed due to a humanitarian effort.

They did divert 2 ships to NOLA in 1985 for shelter. I'm sure that resulted in some cancelled cruises long term.

Here is the video of the press conference.

http://carnival-news.com/2013/02/12/carnival-cruise-lines-president-and-ceo-gerry-cahills-press-conference-comment-regarding-carnival-triumph/

Just an FYI. At least for me it took a while to load. There must be a lot of people trying to view it.

They should check their PR media machine and communication channels.

Until seeing this, it seemed the focus on the message gettijng out was to make sure everyone knew the passengers were getting a full refund, and a credit to a future cruise.

Always fill your bathtub up before a big storm like that. We did, didn't need it, but better safe than sorry.

Keeping this on topic, it is too bad that dumping a bucket of water down the toilet wouldn't work to flush the toilets on the ship now that there is cold water. Hopefully, they can get more services restored to more areas of the ship.

LOL.

I was talking to my mother recently, either before the hurricane or the blizzard, who told me she always fills her bathtub with water, but never knew why.

I did tell her, but also told her water works on gravity, so it's that big tank in her neighborhood she has to worry about. No pump, no water, once it runs out.

"Oh".

I just saw a piece out of Indianapolis from a woman who's sister is on board. She waited 3 hours for an onion sandwich! The people in front of her were hoarding food. She also reported people were sleeping in the deck chairs and had brought mattresses on deck as they have no AC. NBC reported tonight that only 5 toilets on the entire ship were working. We'll hear everything, I"m sure. One can NOT imagine what they and the crew are going through. Just pray people keep their cool and people don't get too ugly. It could turn into a riot over food, water, bathroom, sleeping areas, etc.

NBC propbably counted 5 posts on this message board that mentioned a working toilet and came up with that number.

Nobody is pooping in bags and buckets and no one is starving.

. I mean come on, the bars are free and flowing and they get a few extra days on their cruise, beats any day at work!:rolleyes:

Where did you hear that, and sorry, I'd rather be working.

They have cut off bar service. However - if people actually remained 'calm' and kept their head about them it might not be as bad a situation as folks are making it. The people hoarding food and acting like 'this is it' is rather ridiculous. It reminds me of folks in the DC area buying up all the bread and milk when they hear word of snow.

It also reminds me of when I was at a Cirque Du Soleil show last summer. We were in the tent waiting for the start of the show when the workers up in the tent all came down from their posts and walked out....the wind was obviously picking up and started howling (there was a tornado warning out). Someone....someone must have started panicking and all of a sudden people started yelling and running towards the exits....the Cirque employees were trying to keep folks calm and inside the tent but the crowd was so large and big that they just started pouring out, trying to cram one another to get out of the tent (that can withstand a monsoon). My husband and I couldn't believe it. We had a family next to us and the little girl was crying telling her mom she wanted to go... We were able to calm her down and told her my husband volunteered with the fire department and that everything was going to be fine. We were actually the last ones out of the tent.

I guess the whole point of the story is that people tend to create and make situations worse than they really are. The Cirque show was cancelled because of the incident.... By the time we got outside, the quick storm had finished rolling through and it was calm with light rain.

John Arthur Eaves, a Jackson, Miss.-based attorney isn't surprised the same ship seized by the district court in Galveston, Texas, nearly a year ago based on Carnival Cruise Lines' lack of compliance to standards regarding on-board safety and procedures aimed at preserving the lives of passengers and crew is now adrift in the Gulf of Mexico.

"How much longer are we going to allow this to happen?," asked Attorney John Arthur Eaves, Jr. "Once again, Carnival's desire to increase profits at the risk of passenger safety has resulted in putting passengers at risk."

On request of the Law Offices of John Arthur Eaves, police seized Carnival Cruise Lines' ship, the Carnival Triumph, in the port of Galveston, Texas, on March 29, 2012.

"We seized this exact ship to make Americans aware the same inadequate standards that caused the sinking of the Costa Concordia are the same problems on every Carnival cruise vessel," Eaves said. "How ironic is it the Triumph is the ship we seized to make this point?"

Eaves maintains Carnival continues to put profits over passenger safety and "has set the safety standards for the international cruise industry."

"Carnival has had billion-dollar profits yet consistently cuts costs in hiring and training of its crew, in the discipline of its officers, in the design of its vessels and, as we know now, in the maintenance in its mechanical operations," said Eaves. "It's sad but true that when a company like Carnival is able to avoid responsibility because of outdated laws they always cut safety costs to increase their profits.

"We call this greed, and the only way to remedy this is to close the loopholes in the law and hold the company accountable" says John Arthur Eaves, Jr. For this reason, Eaves Law Firm continues its actions aiming to change the rules on safety at sea for the entire cruise-industry in all the world. Hence the law firm is addressing all social, economical and industrial entities aiming to enact measures to avoid tragedies like the grounding of the Costa Concordia, a tragedy which could easily have been repeated with the Carnival Triumph.

During WWII... my dad was in the Coast Guard and of course there was no Homeland Security agency at that time.

His ship served proudly during the Guadalcanal Offensive as a troop transport ship, even taking fire from the enemy. And as far as I know, they are recognized as one of the five armed services. He had a military burial this past May at the National Cemetery in Riverside, CA.

Your story really hit home. My Dad was also in the USCG during WWII on a troop transport ship. He just passed away Nov 1 2012 and will have a military burial at Arlington National Cemetary on May 6th 2013 in which I'm really looking forward to. It feels a bit strange to say that I'm looking forward to my Dad's burial but if there is one word to describe my Dad and the whole event its.....PRIDE.

So many people have lived a sheltered life. I grew up a country boy. We lost power every major storm that went through. We melted snow on the wood stove. We set out buckets and dishes to collect rain water. We would eat what we could.

In the army we could go a week to a month without a shower or toilet. We slept under a poncho in rain storms. Our motto was " Adapt and Overcome"!

I've camped in a tent in the Canadian wilderness. No shower, no toilets, limited food.

Has nobody used a porta potty at a NASCAR race or state fair in August?You hold your breath and hover.

This isn't the end of the world. They are on a warm, dry ship. It could be a hell of a lot worst! It is what you make of it. You can be a "victim" and succumb or a "survivor" and get stronger. What does getting pissed off do to help out your situation? It adds additional stress to an already stressful situation.

How in the world did the settlers survive when they crossed the country in covered wagons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Well said.

Carnival was also paid by FEMA to do it. So it was not completely altruistic.

To add, they were paid more than the revenue they were earning while the ships were sailing, and frankly, Carnival didn't have a choice in the matter. Under the decades old Defense Protection Act, the US Government had the right to use those ships whether Carnival wanted to let them do so or not due to the declared emergency.

OMG! NBC just ended the Triumph story, followed by a "SO MUCH BETTR THAN LAST YEAR" commercial, with people stuck on a roller coaster in an unside down position!

:eek:

Commercials are pre-slotted to run at specific times days in advance by network traffic controllers. The news people have no idea which commercials will run when any more than the traffic controllers know which news segments will be shown when. If you were watching a local NBC affiliate it's even more random, as the network controls a certain percentage of the advertising traffic and the local affiliate has zero knowledge of what commercial will be played when. That's why every now and then you'll have identical ads run back-to-back. The advertiser has done both a national and regional or local buy and the traffic controllers for the network and affiliate never talk to each other about what is running when. Every now and then they coincidentally appear in the same break. The same thing can happen between a cable company and a network.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Disclosure--I never worked in television but I did a brief stint in radio marketing and both forms of broadcast media work the same when it comes to traffic control.

John Arthur Eaves, a Jackson, Miss.-based attorney isn't surprised the same ship seized by the district court in Galveston, Texas, nearly a year ago based on Carnival Cruise Lines' lack of compliance to standards regarding on-board safety and procedures aimed at preserving the lives of passengers and crew is now adrift in the Gulf of Mexico.

"How much longer are we going to allow this to happen?," asked Attorney John Arthur Eaves, Jr. "Once again, Carnival's desire to increase profits at the risk of passenger safety has resulted in putting passengers at risk."

On request of the Law Offices of John Arthur Eaves, police seized Carnival Cruise Lines' ship, the Carnival Triumph, in the port of Galveston, Texas, on March 29, 2012.

"We seized this exact ship to make Americans aware the same inadequate standards that caused the sinking of the Costa Concordia are the same problems on every Carnival cruise vessel," Eaves said. "How ironic is it the Triumph is the ship we seized to make this point?"

Eaves maintains Carnival continues to put profits over passenger safety and "has set the safety standards for the international cruise industry."

"Carnival has had billion-dollar profits yet consistently cuts costs in hiring and training of its crew, in the discipline of its officers, in the design of its vessels and, as we know now, in the maintenance in its mechanical operations," said Eaves. "It's sad but true that when a company like Carnival is able to avoid responsibility because of outdated laws they always cut safety costs to increase their profits.

"We call this greed, and the only way to remedy this is to close the loopholes in the law and hold the company accountable" says John Arthur Eaves, Jr. For this reason, Eaves Law Firm continues its actions aiming to change the rules on safety at sea for the entire cruise-industry in all the world. Hence the law firm is addressing all social, economical and industrial entities aiming to enact measures to avoid tragedies like the grounding of the Costa Concordia, a tragedy which could easily have been repeated with the Carnival Triumph.

First post. Check.

Nice spin. Check.

Triumph could have grounded due to a gash in the side of the ship while 150 miles from land in the Gulf of Mexico? Uh, how about a little "fact" check.

Anyone who can't read the class action greed in this post has a bigger problem than Carnival does.

And I'm far from a carnival cheerleader.

I am kinda of new here and have been trying to keep up. I am wondering what the contingency plan would be if this happened in the middle of the Atlantic during a Tranatlantic cruise? Or anywhere 1000 miles from land?

You'd be screwed until the US Navy could come pick you up.

I have been reading as much of this thread as I can... just trying to keep up on the news of this terrible situation.. I have this image now of 3000+ passengers running off the ship in Mobile... toward the bathrooms in the terminal only to find signs on the first couple restrooms "for platinum members only".......... :D

That being said I am praying for the safe return of all unboard.

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel on a Royal Caribbean ship. The Carnival Triumph docked shortly after we did in Cozumel and everyone in our group commented on how rough the ship looked from the outside. Like it needed painting/cleaning and had a very dated appearance. Especially in comparison to the Royal Caribbean ship we were on , which was the Jewel of the Seas.

How ironic that a few weeks later this happened to that ship. I always thought that they took better care of the engine areas than this.

One thing is for certain though. I will never cruise Carnival after reading about the horrendous conditions that these poor folks are having to deal with. I don't know if Royal Caribbean would do anything different. If they would not, then I doubt I will ever cruise them again either.

Kinda sucks too, cause we had a great time. But the idea of having to poop in sacks, being unable to shower and eating cold sandwiches would be a deal breaker for me ever going on another cruise.

I have been reading as much of this thread as I can... just trying to keep up on the news of this terrible situation.. I have this image now of 3000+ passengers running off the ship in Mobile... toward the bathrooms in the terminal only to find signs on the first couple restrooms "for platinum members only".......... :D

That being said I am praying for the safe return of all unboard.

Funny you say that. At times reading through this epic, I have imagined many doing the "pee pee" run as soon as they debarked.

No flaming from me:) I grew up in the country. Had no running water, lugged it from a well in the field. Had an outhouse, but also the luxury of a thunder jug for inside.

I know the life on this ship right now must be horrifying to many, they've led a sheltered life. Having led my childhood life of simplicity, learning to make do, I'd survive that ship and treat it as another challenge in life. I wouldn't want to do it on purpose, but the compensation has proved worthy. And what an adventure.

Let's see, they are out a week's pay plus additional expenses and are getting a cruise credit that will cost them additional fund to use. I've not sure how you call that worthy.

Commercials are pre-slotted to run at specific times days in advance by network traffic controllers. The news people have no idea which commercials will run when any more than the traffic controllers know which news segments will be shown when. If you were watching a local NBC affiliate it's even more random, as the network controls a certain percentage of the advertising traffic and the local affiliate has zero knowledge of what commercial will be played when. That's why every now and then you'll have identical ads run back-to-back. The advertiser has done both a national and regional or local buy and the traffic controllers for the network and affiliate never talk to each other about what is running when. Every now and then they coincidentally appear in the same break. The same thing can happen between a cable company and a network.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Disclosure--I never worked in television but I did a brief stint in radio marketing and both forms of broadcast media work the same when it comes to traffic control.

Yes, but you hear all the time where ads are pulled.

I guess no one thinks it's needed. I believe all cruise ads were pulled last year after January 13th.

This just in.....these people paid for a cruise vacation.

Yes they did and I feel for each and every passenger on this ship. But they should feel very very THANKFUL that the fire was put out very fast. Carnival did a great job putting that fire out fast. This could have been much worse than it was. It has happened now and it needs to be dealt with and it is beening dealt with the best way it can in the situation they are in. As we all know the news media never really tells the whole story or the whole truth. And if you do not know this then you need to wake up and smell the roses. :cool:

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel on a Royal Caribbean ship. The Carnival Triumph docked shortly after we did in Cozumel and everyone in our group commented on how rough the ship looked from the outside. Like it needed painting/cleaning and had a very dated appearance. Especially in comparison to the Royal Caribbean ship we were on , which was the Jewel of the Seas.

How ironic that a few weeks later this happened to that ship. I always thought that they took better care of the engine areas than this.

One thing is for certain though. I will never cruise Carnival after reading about the horrendous conditions that these poor folks are having to deal with. I don't know if Royal Caribbean would do anything different. If they would not, then I doubt I will ever cruise them again either.

Kinda sucks too, cause we had a great time. But the idea of having to poop in sacks, being unable to shower and eating cold sandwiches would be a deal breaker for me ever going on another cruise.

You're kidding yourself if you thing RCCL would do anything different. Historically they would do even less.

First post. Check.

Nice spin. Check.

Triumph could have grounded due to a gash in the side of the ship while 150 miles from land in the Gulf of Mexico? Uh, how about a little "fact" check.

Anyone who can't read the class action greed in this post has a bigger problem than Carnival does.

And I'm far from a carnival cheerleader.

Not sure what this attorney is releasing to the press now (in connection with the Triumph debacle), but the post insofar as it relates to seizing the ship last year is true.

The property (Triumph) was initially attached as security in connection with a then pending suit (wrongful death, concordia). It was the tangible, physical, reachable asset in the states. Don't remember if it was simply released, or if they were required to post bond before setting sail with the next group of pax who were onboard to leave on their cruise.

It is a bad situation. Hopefully the passengers are hanging in there and will soon be home. I don't think this is a deliberate act of Carnival against the passengers. While the situation is bad, and possibly could have been avoided by handling thruster problems proactively, it is what it is. Now they are trying to get the passengers home safely. And doing what they can. i hope the passengers realize that urinating on the floors, or arguing with the crew that are doing eveything they can to help (it is not the crews fault0, or hoarding food, instead of sharing so it lasts until they get home) is not in their best interests. They need to try and stay calm. And try and take care of themselves and their family, until they are on dry land. It kind of reminds me of the Superdome. And how it was destroyed by people that had it bad, but tore up the very place that was trying to take care of them.

Archived