Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Got a question for ya......in your signature, you have this:

"RCI: 1 (Diamond) "....... does that mean you went on Royal Caribbean and bought 1 diamond on that cruise? :o

If so, then we've bought way too many on Carnival! :eek:

Seriously though, it means thus far we've only sailed once with Royal (Sovereign of the Seas), but we are Diamond with Royal thanks to their arrangement with Celebrity. Because we're "Elite" with Celebrity, we are automatically Diamond with Royal.

Carnival could learn a thing or two in that regard... (IMO)

Tom

Goodmornig fellow CC computer cruisers!!

I guess I'm fortunate that our local Pensacola and Mobile media will be covering the story. It will be interesting to see the difference between them and the drama queens and kings from the networks, specially CNN.

I tend to agree that there will be many stories about people helping people, but sadly, they may never get any press. I also think the elderly generation, who lived thru WWII will have the least amount of complainers. They know real hardships and tend to just roll with the punches and probably realize that the situation could have been alot worse. That age group for sure, doesn't want to get in a frigging lifeboat, period!!

I know if put in the same situation that my family would adapt to the surroundings and make the best outta a less than favorable situation as would alot of other families. You will always have the me me me crowd. I would just find a way to distance my self from them.

BTW...I guess you can add me to the CC Coastie board...1972-1995 (retired)(and loving it):D:D

WW2 ended in 1945, don't think many survivors will be on a Carnival ship.

just curious where people think that anyone is getting accurate information about existing conditions. the limited amount of power available for communication equipment is not about to be spent with someone keeping someone updated on living conditions or passenger comfort. there is a CG ship to monitor the situation in case of a more drastic problem, ie sinking. i am sure the captain and crew is busy communicating with the tugs and the coast guard while making arrangements with the port of entry. carnival is busy making sure 3000 pax plus crew will be assisted once the boat debarks. they need to line up dock workers, baggage handlers, customs, lodging, land transportation, air transportation. they need to make sure that people onshore are familiar with how people are to get home and direct passengers to the right areas.

i just don't understand the entitlement of families on shore that feel they need to know everything that is going on on the ship. you would think they are the ones involved in this event and that they are the ones having to experience the unthinkable. so, what if people have a few restless nights worrying about their loved ones, doesn't make them the victim. yes its hard to be the one left at home, but they know the ship is being towed and that their loved ones are safe and that they will be home by tomorrow. now what else do they HAVE TO KNOW.

I keep seeing all these posts about how the fire was caused by a known problem, there is extensive damage, and Carnival knew the ship wasn't seaworthy, etc etc etc

Do you guys have any PROOF of this? You're speculating. Show us some proof or stop saying stuff like that until you get the facts.

Again I'll reiterate I am NOT a Carnival cheerleader; I've been on one cruise with them. Yeah, it was wonderful. After this I'm wary of using them again. However until we get all of the FACTS people need to stop making baseless accusations because you have NO idea what caused the fire, how much damage there is or what Carnival knew and didn't know! PLEASE! Let's keep this thread to facts!

In Jerry Cahill's news conference yesterday it was stated specifically that the problem WAS NOT related to the problem with an alternator a couple of weeks ago. He said that alternator was repaired and recertified by factory technicians that were flown in, and it was not related to the current problem.

But, lets not let facts get in the way of drama and speculation... after all this is Cruise Critic!

What clean ship is available

ANd I was on the triumph in Feb and the life boats were working:confused:

As for what clean ship was available, ANY SHIP in the area that was changing passengers on Sunday, they could have delayed the start of a sailing and got the passengers off the troubled ship.

As far as when you were on the Triumph in Feb, you saw them move each life boat, and they all released and came back up to the storage location? I thought not.

Just so everyone knows, if I and my family are on a crusie, and there is a problem, and they call for passengers to go to their muster stations, we will start heading toward our station,

BUT if they sound the signal to start loading and releasing the life boats,

The closest station is now my station, I would fight to the death (of others) to get my family on the nearest boat, because in that situation, the only ones that matter to me is MY family.

Flame me if you want, but if you do you are lieing to your self.

The resulting investigation determined that the wrong clamps had been used on the hydraulic hose connections during the recent repair and they had "wiggled" loose over time, spraying highly flammable hydraulic fluid all over the hot engine and starting the fire. It was human error and entirely preventable.

Just a point of clarification, unless it is an odd version of hydraulic oil, which I don't believe that to be the case, hydraulic oil is considered combustible, not highly flammable. The flash points are in the 350 to 450 degree range.

Out of interest and because so many have wondered why Mobile instead of Galveston, I did up a quick map based on my reading https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=213696368617390101258.0004d5939e253a35dfa80&msa=0&ll=26.450902,-88.967285&spn=17.067219,18.391113 I'm sure it's not accurate but it does provide some idea of the geometry.

what about tampa? are they not closer to tampa, or are they too far west?

I keep seeing all these posts about how the fire was caused by a known problem, there is extensive damage, and Carnival knew the ship wasn't seaworthy, etc etc etc

Do you guys have any PROOF of this? You're speculating. Show us some proof or stop saying stuff like that until you get the facts.

Again I'll reiterate I am NOT a Carnival cheerleader; I've been on one cruise with them. Yeah, it was wonderful. After this I'm wary of using them again. However until we get all of the FACTS people need to stop making baseless accusations because you have NO idea what caused the fire, how much damage there is or what Carnival knew and didn't know! PLEASE! Let's keep this thread to facts!

If anyone thinks this will happen - I've got some swamp land in Florida I can sell you!:eek::D:p

And a slightly used, smelly cruise ship!;)

Just a point of clarification, unless it is an odd version of hydraulic oil, which I don't believe that to be the case, hydraulic oil is considered combustible, not highly flammable. The flash points are in the 350 to 450 degree range.

I stand corrected. Bottom line, it still caused a fire which did half a million dollars in damage.

I am kinda of new here and have been trying to keep up. I am wondering what the contingency plan would be if this happened in the middle of the Atlantic during a Tranatlantic cruise? Or anywhere 1000 miles from land?

From what people are saying here,

Have you seen the movie Titanic?

As for what clean ship was available, ANY SHIP in the area that was changing passengers on Sunday, they could have delayed the start of a sailing and got the passengers off the troubled ship.

As far as when you were on the Triumph in Feb, you saw them move each life boat, and they all released and came back up to the storage location? I thought not.

Just so everyone knows, if I and my family are on a crusie, and there is a problem, and they call for passengers to go to their muster stations, we will start heading toward our station,

BUT if they sound the signal to start loading and releasing the life boats,

The closest station is now my station, I would fight to the death (of others) to get my family on the nearest boat, because in that situation, the only ones that matter to me is MY family.

Flame me if you want, but if you do you are lieing to your self.

There would be too many problems to deal with if they did that. I dont think they could get 3000 more passengers on an already full ship and take them back to port. There is probably a maximum limit of passengers on the ship. Then you would have the problem of not enough supplies, compensating 6000 people for the trouble, getting people back to their home towns..the list goes on!

Not buying this.

The Triumph was seized on 3/30/12 as security in connection with claims related to the Costa Concordia, not safety issues. It was released a day later. Oh, and welcome to cruise critic.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4793

We sailed on her last January I believe it was the 28th in 2012 and she was seized just before our sailing.......I remember talikg to carnival and being told not to worry worst case was they were going to post a bond to release ship ans we will be sailing.

Maybe you work for minimum wage, but the mean income for a working adult in the US works out to more than the cost of a suite on a four day cruise on the Triumph. So for most people on that cruise, they are out more in wages/vacation pay then what the cruise credit is worth. quote]

US Median Houshold Income: $50,502

$50,502/ 52 weeks = $971 per week BEFORE taxes. Take out another 20% (A very low ball estimate, depending on where you live) for Federal Income, FICA, State Income, Local taxes = $777

The cheapest suite on Carnival Triumph is $789 per person, plus port fees, taxes, and gratuities, so its really more than that.

Also that income figure is based on HOUSEHOLD income, not individual, so really you should count 2 cruise fares for comparisons in most cases, but either way what Carnival is offering is worth more than a week's pay for the average American worker.

Not sure how that is going to go over (rubbing your pets nose in its excrement)... :eek:

Tom

Well in 9 pets over 25 years it has only happened one or two times per pet,

Rub their nose in it and say "bad dog/cat" and it is over,

Can you picture a big security guard holding down a passneger saying "bad passenger, Bad"

I was just trying to make a joke, but it really does work, with the tone of voice for the pets,

[quote name='ruskatab']There would be too many problems to deal with if they did that. I dont think they could get 3000 more passengers on an already full ship and take them back to port. There is probably a maximum limit of passengers on the ship. Then you would have the problem of not enough supplies, compensating 6000 people for the trouble, getting people back to their home towns..the list goes on![/QUOTE]

I'm going by what I understand here, so I'm not saying to take this as gospel word.

All cruise ships have a definite number of "souls" that they can accommodate. That number is determined by the seats on the life boats. I believe that they need to have 125% of the seats that they need in order to take into account the possibility of some not working, families not splitting up, some boats leaving not 100% full, etc.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

"[B]We call this greed, and the only way to remedy this is to close the loopholes in the law and hold the company accountable" says John Arthur Eaves, Jr. For this reason, Eaves Law Firm continues its actions aiming to change the rules on safety at sea for the entire cruise-industry in all the world. Hence the law firm is addressing all social, economical and industrial entities aiming to enact measures to avoid tragedies like the grounding of the Costa Concordia, a tragedy which could easily have been repeated with the Carnival Triumph. [/B]
I agree. It may be those that see the lawyer services as a primary here but it wouldn't be the case if the Cruise line made sure that they would have nothing to be sued about. It boggles my brain that we all commemorate every year the Titantic and the souls who were lost due to countless mistakes and yet we spend so much time arguing about what is factual about the conditions many people are dealing with on this current disaster instead of asking why do we continue to put the potential for new Titantic disasters to occur. I hope that in the future when we read of ships not being able to keep their itineraries due to poor response of the ship, we change our minds and choose another ship, or Cruise line before they get a chance to put ours or our family lives at risk. We seem to be the only ones that can allow them to continue to operate with such low expectations.

[quote name='waldocruiser1'].
I was just trying to make a joke...[/QUOTE]

I make that attempt with some frequency. Usually those on the receiving end "get it", but some are left wondering what in the world I was talking about or worse... they start gathering feathers and heating up the tar. :eek:

He shoots, he scores - sometimes.

Tom

Archived