Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

They could be but they are all still speculation. Anyone can post on an anonymous message board saying they have a family member abouard the ship and they sent them a message saying XYZ. Just look at all the new people who have shown up on this thread.

Personally I prefer to get the hard facts before making a decision one way or another.

CC isn't quite "anonymous". Many of the posters aren't new to CC. And the CC admin posted that they do validation with posters before including it to the news article. The alternative - that multiple CC members decided to fabricate similar things out of whole cloth - just is not credible.

Exactly! The Triumph has no stabilizers and was floating free. There was no safe way to do that. People on board are safe, conditions are terrible I am sure, but they are SAFE! If Carnival had tried this, it could have been a disaster. Numerous people with nautical experience have said that it would have been way too dangerous to try and transfer passengers that way, not to mention their luggage, etc.

My point was that Repo-Cruiser has been on several threads about Triumph and keeps saying Carnival has not handled it correctly, but then he/she never responds when someone asks what they could have done differently.

Repo-Cruiser seems to take a curious delight in Carnivals problems. Many of the poor souls on the Triumph right now would probably like a piece of those that would delight in their misery for this oppertunity to bash Carnival, as I am sure there is many of them that would also like a piece of anyone defending Carnival right now.

Another thought as I am like many on here overly occupied with this story....We have heard the compensation for the passengers....there is 1000 crew members sharing the misery and working through this...gonna be a lot of disgruntled employees

No I'm saying hey are second-hand information that hasn't been confirmed. There is a difference.

1 second-hand report is likely to contain errors, lots (10+) similar reports tend to be accurate... The only reason I would say to not only use these reports is they are old, so we have no idea of the current conditions (only those from Monday). Could be much worse, similar, or better

I havent read through the past 150something pages of posts - I did get through the 1st 53 however - I found this on Carnival and wasnt sure if its been updated here:

I know that they had cancled at least 2 cruises but now there are more...And I had almost booked the Triumph for April 8th but went with the Magic instead!

Upcoming Voyages

Carnival Cruise Lines has also announced the cancellations of 12 additional voyages of the Carnival Triumph. The 12 cancelled cruises, which encompass sailings from Feb. 21 through April 13, 2013, are in addition to two previously cancelled voyages scheduled to depart Feb. 11 and Feb. 16.

Guests on the affected sailings will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, as well as non-refundable transportation costs, pre-paid shore excursions, gratuities, and government fees and taxes. Guests will also receive a 25 percent discount on a future three- to five-day Carnival cruise or a 15 percent discount on a six- to seven-day cruise. Travel agent commissions will be protected.

Carnival sincerely apologizes for this disruption in our guests’ vacation plans

From what I've seen, the "onion and cucumber sandwich" originates from one report in a news story as does the "sewage flowing down the walls". Not enough to draw any factual conclusions from, IMHO.

Points of detail cited in only 1 or 2 posts may be considered "unconfirmed" or anecdotal. But the general point about defecating into bags has been mentioned so many times it's hard to imagine it not being true.

And does it really matter if people hate on carnival? Such is their right. People take it so personally.

You sure did...

How so? I couldn't care less if people hate one line or another. People act like its a direct dig at them or a comment about their mother.

WOW I just went back and re read it

I was wrong:o

As soon as I got off the ship, I would try to make my own plans to get home. If what Carnival is providing is the quickest, I would go with them. If not, I would be happy to spend my own bucks to get home in my clean bed ASAP.

They are getting a long bus ride and a hotel then a flight, or a longer bus ride then a hotel, then a flight if needed or another bus ride to their car at the port.

They have no rooms in Alabama, the rooms are in New Orleans. After they get off they won't even have the opportunity to shower before getting on a bus for a minimum 2.5 hour drive to New Orleans.

Ridiculous.

I agree. When I first read that post (that contained the latest (4th) update), i did a double take and read it again.

First thought: Why the heck are they making these people go on a 2.5 hour bus ride minimum after they get off that ship??? These people need food, a shower, a bed, much needed rest... To load everyone's stuff into the bus is gonna take at least an hour itself, so get them to the hotel asap!

and then get them going to the airport in the morning when they're a little bit rested. If you have to have the buses do 2 runs (from port to mobile hotels, then mobile hotel to airport the next day, so what? Pay for it! That's the least you could do. :rolleyes:

Area Hotels (Mobile) include Marriott, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc....these are not 30 room "motels."

Edit: AHHHHHH, Maybe they're taking them out of there to get them away from the media....

No I'm saying hey are second-hand information that hasn't been confirmed. There is a difference.

Nope - you are being dismissive of those reports and the people who posted them when even Carnival has admitted in their press releases the conditions on-board are very challenging and rapidly deteriorating - which jives exactly with those reports people have made

So in your world all those reports are lies??? there have been multiple people reporting in this thread and in various news reports on texts/calls received from loved ones about conditions aboard. When you have multiple reports saying the same thing, that is credible.

Only if the reports originate from different sources. The onion sandwich is a good example. There are dozens of different reports of this but near as I can determine all of them are based on a single second hand account.

I think it also important to recognize that firsthand accounts (which appear to be as rare as hens' teeth) are from a very narrow perspectives and often colored by misery and concern. Secondhand accounts (only slightly more abundant than firsthand ones) tend to suffer from the natural concern for a loved one and the filter of anothers interpretation.

Actually, cucumber sandwiches are served at Tea Time on sea days. They are quite good :)

From reading accounts from the Splendor fire, the chef's and galley workers had to be a bit creative with food so I can see people getting Onion & Cucumber Sandwiches.

That aside, I have read every post on this thread (yes I do like to torture myself sometimes) really I had nothing else to do after my chemo treatment but take meds and sleep, so I read in between times.

CC seems to have a couple of people that have done every possible job in the world, traveled the entire world and know better than anyone else what is happening on the Triumph and what the passenger and crew are feeling. Must be nice :)

When the passengers make it to shore, we will still not know the whole truth and nothing but the truth because no one sees the same event the same way. I hope that if they decide to post their experience on CC that the rest of CC will read with open minds and not flame them for what they say.

Yes, Carnival can do no wrong; yes, Carnival does everything wrong. No, I don't know what the people on the Triumph are going through and if by chance something like this were to happen while I am on my next cruise, none of you will know what I am going through unless I tell you and even then, what I am going through will be completely different from another passenger.

It's all prospective, things in my life will effect how I view certain situations, just as things in your life effect how you view them.

Many people say they wish they were on that ship, "a bad day on a ship is better than a good day at work". Maybe not so much for some, me I would have much rather been dealing with the ship than with chemo :)

Thoughts and prayers are with the passengers and crew that tomorrow will bring the much needed relief that they all deserve after this ordeal.

Is it possible that something is going on in Mobile this weekend? Anyone know of any conventions or anything?

Just trying to be devils advocate in case we are missing something.

I can imagine the outrage if only 500 rooms were available in the city and they gave only suite passengers access and made everyone else drive to New Orleans. That would be an even larger PR disaster than making everyone make the trip to NOLA.

As soon as I got off the ship, I would try to make my own plans to get home. If what Carnival is providing is the quickest, I would go with them. If not, I would be happy to spend my own bucks to get home in my clean bed ASAP.

I agree I might even do a one way car rental

So I wonder does everyone put there luggage outside the cabins tonight.

Is it possible that something is going on in Mobile this weekend? Anyone know of any conventions or anything?

Just trying to be devils advocate in case we are missing something.

I can imagine the outrage if only 500 rooms were available in the city and they gave only suite passengers access and made everyone else drive to New Orleans. That would be an even larger PR disaster than making everyone make the trip to NOLA.

From Feb 7th until today Mobile has been celebrating Mardi Gras. DOn't know if that has any effect on rooms for tomorrow or not.

I agree. When I first read that post (that contained the latest (4th) update), i did a double take and read it again.

First thought: Why the heck are they making these people go on a 2.5 hour bus ride minimum after they get off that ship??? These people need food, a shower, a bed, much needed rest... To load everyone's stuff into the bus is gonna take at least an hour itself, so get them to the hotel asap!

and then get them going to the airport in the morning when they're a little bit rested. If you have to have the buses do 2 runs (from port to mobile hotels, then mobile hotel to airport the next day, so what? Pay for it! That's the least you could do. :rolleyes:

Area Hotels (Mobile) include Marriott, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc....these are not 30 room "motels."

Edit: AHHHHHH, Maybe they're taking them out of there to get them away from the media....

OMG do the two of you try to find the worst in everything. Every post so negative and doom and gloom. There are not over 1500 rooms in Mobile. Even if there were, most hotels have pricing models with goals to have rooms full during the week. Most hotels will be full with business travelers. They are not going go kick people out of hotels and distress more people just as they are not going to kick passengers off one ship to move them dangerously across the ocean to another. New Orleans is the closest city with accomedations. Even Galveston would not have 1500 open rooms. Its time to think before posting.

This is why ships have table for two.

Sorry for the rant

Maybe all the hotel rooms in Mobile are booked by family members who want this nightmare to end sooner than later. I know I would be in Mobile if I had loved ones on this ship.

No it's not. The ship is beautiful, it just needs a repair. Maybe it will even get upgraded. Accidents happen, some more fatal than others. The ship will resume service on April 16th, 2013. The Splendor caught on fire when it was 2. The Triumph is 14, but is up to par with the Conquest class, the newest ship of that kind being 6 years old. The SPlendor is a tad better. It's an amazing ship.

Mobile is not exactly a tourist destination so I am sure that their are limited beds available and that many of the hotels/motels with it being a Thursday night are still filled with business travelers. And, like others have said, I think the choice to bus them to New Orleans was made so that everyone who wants one can have a room for the night before heading to Houston and their flights home.

Also, this being a 4 day cruise I would be that the majority of the passengers drove to Galveston unless they were more than 8 hours outside of the city. These people will probably be very happy to just sleep on the bus Thursday night, pick up their car, and then head home for a long weekend of endless showers and eating all their favorite foods.

I also bet that lots of clothes will be trashed this weekend. I don't think I would be excited about washing the lot and wearing them again. I'll also bet that many passengers will be met by loved ones in Mobile who have probably already picked up the car in Galveston and driven over, booking rooms for the night for everyone. I'm sure that is what our families would have done without thought of compensation for the effort.

Only if the reports originate from different sources. The onion sandwich is a good example. There are dozens of different reports of this but near as I can determine all of them are based on a single second hand account.

There were at least 8 independent reports of people having to defecate in bags, urinate in the shower, and the ship stinking to high heaven

Doesn't look like any tents set up. Also the decks seem pretty empty considering the conditions reported inside the ship.

Honestly, this was my first thought too. Not saying anyone is right or wrong, but the decks are awfully clear if it's that bad below decks.

Archived