Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

My recollection is that on the 11th a Carnival said that power had been restored to the forward part of the ship, the forward elevators were operational, all forward cabins had power and water, all public toilets were working, and some midship cabins had power and water.

I don't recall them ever saying power was back on anywhere on the ship other than what had been on all along.

Originally Posted by berryberry View Post

So in your world all those reports are lies??? there have been multiple people reporting in this thread and in various news reports on texts/calls received from loved ones about conditions aboard. When you have multiple reports saying the same thing, that is credible.

Lie" / Lies" / Liar"; Seams to be a frequent accusation on many of your post's. Whats up wit dat?

ooooo weeee.

Just an observation and Opinion.

:rolleyes::eek:

If you read correctly, you would see I am refuting other people's posts who claim the reports from the news media and passengers on board are false and exaggerated. They are in essence claiming these folks are lieing. I am questioning how they can do that

I wouldn't use any showers unless it was my own and I knew who had been in there. People have a hard time following simple instructions, and once you tell someone to do something in the showers, it's quite possible they do something else.

Yes, I agree and let's hope that is what All Cruise Lines do, learn a lesson where people were inconvenienced, no one died, no one injured...a cheap lesson to learn if they ALL just will......

This isnt gonna be cheap for Carnival ... and obviously they didn't change much after the Splendor situation back in 2010 ... maybe a little too cocky after all the good will John Heald publicity stardom crap that came out of that.

Well, here we are again ... another engine room fire, a ship they knew had propulsion problems -- another 3500 pax adrift at sea for days.

Now what, Carnival?

My recollection is that on the 11th a Carnival said that power had been restored to the forward part of the ship, the forward elevators were operational, all forward cabins had power and water, all public toilets were working, and some midship cabins had power and water.

No, on Monday they said some toilets were working and the forward sewage system was operational. Tuesday evening at the press conference Gary Cahill said most of the 23 public bathrooms were working, as well as a large block of cabin bathrooms forward and some midship. I did hear separate reports of cold running water available, but nothing about electricity in the cabins.

Nope, I am not kidding....I am Dead Serious!!!!

CCL has been worse than useless, 1 call a day from a pre-recorded msg, that only reveals what I have allready leaarned through the media, or here on this site. When you call ther "number" the persons answereing the phones are clueless!!!!!

But we weren't talking about Carnival reps in Miami.

You made an allegation that Carnival purposely kept the Triumph out of cell phone range (although people have been able to call and text at times).

Do you really believe that the captain of the Triumph gave explicit instructions to the tug boats to keep the ship out of cell phone range ?

I wouldn't use any showers unless it was my own and I knew who had been in there. People have a hard time following simple instructions, and once you tell someone to do something in the showers, it's quite possible they do something else.

You have a point, especially when the bathrooms are not working.

I don't recall them ever saying power was back on anywhere on the ship other than what had been on all along.

Gerry said it in his press conference yesterday. He noted that as of Monday power had been restored to forward and some midship cabins, all public restrooms aboard were functional, and that (cold) running water was available shipwide. If he lied we'll all know very soon.

My thought was that they spent the money because they were getting killed by the media.

They spent the money ($500 per passenger) because they are trying to avoid lawsuits. I'm sure, before Carnival gives the passengers full refunds and the $500 check, they will have to sign a waiver stating they won't sue. Carnival isn't looking out for the passengers. Carnival is looking out for itself.

Another issue will be the extra time missed from school for any kids aboard. Mandatory attendance rules can frequently start to kick in after 5 absences in some districts. So a child who would be fine missing two days of school (with some leeway for getting sick) now is in trouble because of 6 days missed. Unlike me who can work a Saturday to make up for a missed day of work, thats usually not an option for kids.

The initial comment on power restoration: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37082905&postcount=1440 The date is wrong on the statement, it was actually issued Feb 11.

I recall a later statement but it may have been a news conference, can't find the reference just now.

They spent the money ($500 per passenger) because they are trying to avoid lawsuits. I'm sure, before Carnival gives the passengers full refunds and the $500 check, they will have to sign a waiver stating they won't sue. Carnival isn't looking out for the passengers. Carnival is looking out for itself.

Carnival is already protected from lawsuits by the contract of carriage. It's a PR move (wise or unwise, to be determined later I suppose!), plain and simple.

Gerry said it in his press conference yesterday. He noted that as of Monday power had been restored to forward and some midship cabins, all public restrooms aboard were functional, and that (cold) running water was available shipwide. If he lied we'll all know very soon.

He 100% did not say "all" of the 23 public restrooms functional. He said "most". I personally heard it on the live internet feed and again on the youtube video. He was questioned on that by a member of the press - asked "does most mean more than half", he answered yes.

He 100% did not say "all" of the 23 public restrooms functional. He said "most". I personally heard it on the live internet feed and again on the youtube video. He was questioned on that by a member of the press - asked "does most mean more than half", he answered yes.

In that case I defer to your better memory. :)

The initial comment on power restoration: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37082905&postcount=1440 The date is wrong on the statement, it was actually issued Feb 11.

I recall a later statement but it may have been a news conference, can't find the reference just now.

Look closely - it says power to some basic hotel functions - elevators and coffee and such - not power to cabins.

EDITED:

I originally said "power to some basic hotel bathrooms" which does not make sense

I should have said "power to some basic hotel functions"

sorry for error

"We are currently finalizing travel arrangements for guests from Mobile. Carnival Triumph guests were given the option of boarding buses directly to Galveston or Houston, Texas, or to spend the night in a hotel in New Orleans, where they could rest before flying out on private charters the next day. Carnival will cover all travel-related and incidental expenses," the cruise line said.

Carnival said it has reserved and arranged approximately 100 motor coaches, more than 1,500 New Orleans hotel rooms, multiple charter flights from New Orleans to Houston on Friday and transportation from Houston to the Port of Galveston so that guests may retrieve their cars if they drove to the port."

from the Orlando news 2/13/13

"We are currently finalizing travel arrangements for guests from Mobile. Carnival Triumph guests were given the option of boarding buses directly to Galveston or Houston, Texas, or to spend the night in a hotel in New Orleans, where they could rest before flying out on private charters the next day. Carnival will cover all travel-related and incidental expenses," the cruise line said.

Carnival said it has reserved and arranged approximately 100 motor coaches, more than 1,500 New Orleans hotel rooms, multiple charter flights from New Orleans to Houston on Friday and transportation from Houston to the Port of Galveston so that guests may retrieve their cars if they drove to the port."

from the Orlando news 2/13/13

That is impressive, if accurate.

Carnival has stated that the forward cabins and some midship cabins have power. Stubborn insistence that this is not so is puzzling.

The ship has maintained emergency generator power since the fire occurred and the technical team on board has been successful in gradually restoring auxiliary power to operate some basic hotel functions. Currently, public and cabin toilets are operational in certain sections of the ship, power has been restored to a limited number of elevators, and some power in the Lido dining area is providing for hot coffee and limited hot food service.

I'm not sure where you see that power has been restored to any cabins.

Look closely - it says power to some basic hotel functions - elevators and coffee and such - not power to cabins.

EDITED: originally said power to some basic hotel bathrooms

should have said power to some basic hotel functions

sorry for error

As I said, there was a later statement that mentioned cabins. Others have noted that in recent posts.

Archived