Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Carnival is just lucky that the LA cop killer decided to make news, as well as the State of the Union Address. Any other day, their ship would be the top story.

Lol. I think yesterday's TV-watching priorties were:

1. News on the cop killer (burning cabin)

2. Westminster Kennel Club dog show (final night !)

3. Checking FOX and CNN for Triumph updates

CCritic lurker here and this might actually be my first post. :eek:

Regarding going to NOLA for airport choice as opposed to Mobile. I was looking up the difference between the two airports.

MOBILE

regional airport, only handles about 60 flights a day and 700,000 passengers per year

NOLA

international airport, handles approx 9 million passengers a year

Based on that info it would seem that people would get out of NOLA much quicker for flights than in Mobile. This is just my thought I'm voicing out loud and forgive me if this has already been posted by someone. I have been trying to read each post in this thread. Also it's taken me approx 15 minutes to type this and get the nerve to actually post on cruise critic. :eek:

Just want to say I love Cruise Critic. There are days when I laugh, I yell at the screen, my husband and I have great conversations together based on threads and it helps me plan my cruise.

Okay...i'm going to sneak back into lurking mode now. :)

They spent the money ($500 per passenger) because they are trying to avoid lawsuits. I'm sure, before Carnival gives the passengers full refunds and the $500 check, they will have to sign a waiver stating they won't sue. Carnival isn't looking out for the passengers. Carnival is looking out for itself.

I would hope Carnival doesn't have strings attached after having a separate press release about it.

That would be well deserving pre meditated murder by the press on them.

billd

Gerry said it in his press conference yesterday. He noted that as of Monday power had been restored to forward and some midship cabins, all public restrooms aboard were functional, and that (cold) running water was available shipwide. If he lied we'll all know very soon.

I just went back and listened to the press conference twice and there is no mention of power in any cabins.

The affects of this are far reaching. There are 60 employees in my work place and they are all talking about how they never want to cruise. Its not going to be much longer before all the cell phone videos start hitting the air waves for all to see and hear. I can only assume 99% of the pax electronics are dead by now so maybe we wont see the worst of it. In the past these things have never been pretty and the media is going into over drive on this one. This brand has survived these disasters in the past so I am sure time will heal this wound as well.

I have seen only a few small issues while at sea 347 days. I would not want to be on that ship for any amount of money. I am sure the crew wishes they were elsewhere too. I wish everyone aboard well and a safe trip home.

As I said, there was a later statement that mentioned cabins. Others have noted that in recent posts.

No CCL statement has mentioned cabin power, and I just searched the thread for "cabin" and "power" and the only posts that come up are yours.

How would somebody know there are 500 McDonald's employees on this cruise??

I'm beginning to think that 95% of the information on this thread is a bunch of CRAP!

I think I recall reading something about McDonald's employees winning an upcoming cruise based on performance. I think it is one that has been cancelled.

The initial comment on power restoration: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37082905&postcount=1440 The date is wrong on the statement, it was actually issued Feb 11.

I recall a later statement but it may have been a news conference, can't find the reference just now.

Where does it say power in cabins was restored?

Another issue will be the extra time missed from school for any kids aboard. Mandatory attendance rules can frequently start to kick in after 5 absences in some districts. So a child who would be fine missing two days of school (with some leeway for getting sick) now is in trouble because of 6 days missed. Unlike me who can work a Saturday to make up for a missed day of work, thats usually not an option for kids.

I'm pretty sure its 10 days, and most schools will accommodate things like this, my nephews were out a total of 10 days this past fall for funerals out of town of both their paternal grandparents , they had lots of make up work, including 3 Saturdays where they came In During the typical "Saturday morning detention" time, but the school made an exception due to extenuating circumstances,

I would hope Carnival doesn't have strings attached after having a separate press release about it.

That would be well deserving pre meditated murder by the press on them.

billd

That is standard operating procedure for a corporation when they give a payout for your troubles.

A customer always retains the right to refuse the payout and thereby have the right to sue if they believe they will get greater compensation after lawyers fees are paid.

You don't think there are plenty of very angry passengers aboard?

I'm sure there are some angry passengers aboard. (Some of them likely would have boarded angry.) Although I expect most are simply too tired to be feeling angry or much of anything else.

I don't think throwing a red bag at someone would be terribly productive or stress relieving. It would certainly result in more stress at a local PD facility.

Mostly though I expect passengers have far higher priorities than throwing something at someone who most of them wouldn't know or recognize.

Nope, I am not kidding....I am Dead Serious!!!!

CCL has been worse than useless, 1 call a day from a pre-recorded msg, that only reveals what I have allready leaarned through the media, or here on this site. When you call ther "number" the persons answereing the phones are clueless!!!!!

Thanks for your input.

CCL needs to revamp their communication strategy. Manning the phones with people who don't have any info may give the appearance of communicating, but it won't fool the people calling in.

Better for them to post regular, detailed, and accurate info online.

Maybe they think they are better off "keeping a lid on things" by using the phone, but that's a mistake. In the age of social media, the story will get out in a matter of hours anyway. Better for them to take their message to the Net themselves, IMO.

As I said, there was a later statement that mentioned cabins. Others have noted that in recent posts.

I have read every press release from Carnival and listened to Cahills conference at least four times now. There was never mention of power being restored to cabins.

CCritic lurker here and this might actually be my first post. :eek:

Regarding going to NOLA for airport choice as opposed to Mobile. I was looking up the difference between the two airports.

MOBILE

regional airport, only handles about 60 flights a day and 700,000 passengers per year

NOLA

international airport, handles approx 9 million passengers a year

Based on that info it would seem that people would get out of NOLA much quicker for flights than in Mobile. This is just my thought I'm voicing out loud and forgive me if this has already been posted by someone. I have been trying to read each post in this thread. Also it's taken me approx 15 minutes to type this and get the nerve to actually post on cruise critic. :eek:

Just want to say I love Cruise Critic. There are days when I laugh, I yell at the screen, my husband and I have great conversations together based on threads and it helps me plan my cruise.

Okay...i'm going to sneak back into lurking mode now. :)

Welcome lurker no longer. Don't be too shy.

Thanks for your input.

CCL needs to revamp their communication strategy. Manning the phones with people who don't have any info may give the appearance of communicating, but it won't fool the people calling in.

Better for them to post regular, detailed, and accurate info online.

Maybe they think they are better off "keeping a lid on things" by using the phone, but that's a mistake. In the age of social media, the story will get out in a matter of hours anyway. Better for them to take their message to the Net themselves, IMO.

Agreed. If they are intentionally stifling the story and think that will help, they're in for a rude awakening tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure its 10 days, and most schools will accommodate things like this, my nephews were out a total of 10 days this past fall for funerals out of town of both their paternal grandparents , they had lots of make up work, including 3 Saturdays where they came In During the typical "Saturday morning detention" time, but the school made an exception due to extenuating circumstances,

As I said, it depends on the district. A friend got a letter requiring a mandatory court appearance a few years ago after her child missed 5 days in a quarter. Yes, once they got to the judge it was fine, but she had to miss work to take care of this - definitely adds fuel to the irritation when it isn't your fault.

Lol. I think yesterday's TV-watching priorties were:

1. News on the cop killer (burning cabin)

2. Westminster Kennel Club dog show (final night !)

3. Checking FOX and CNN for Triumph updates

You forgot North Korea having a nuke and Grammy fashions.

My husband has taken the national test, he does not use "NR" in front of EMT.

Yeah, I think pretty much all EMTs take the national exams on the computer for the written and with all of those grids for the practical! :) The National Registry includes all levels but if you're not planning to work in a different state from where you took the test I'm not sure if it's worth it to join...and may not be worth it even if you DO go elsewhere, since not all states accept it and even those that do often don't have reciprocity. I didn't get it for my basic but did for medic. Not going to renew the NR part, though.

Anyhoo...as for kids missing too much school, even though this isn't a force majeure situation I would hope the schools would give the kids some kind of an attendance break...they certainly will have stories to tell!

Archived