Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Even if it's for show, it would be great PR. And nothing says they're not planning to. At best, I'm hoping UG is there. He actually looked like he was going to cry in that last news conference.

They should keep Funship Freddy in hiding.

He probably is about to cry. His stock options and job are at risk.

To be fair, JH has posted many updates on his page and has not talked about much else except Triumph for a couple days. In fact, check his latest post-he is refraining from sharing pics, discussing other topics and instead used the FB page to praise the crew.

From the NY Times link ..." By Tuesday, fruit, water and sandwiches were distributed, supplied by other Carnival ships that passed by and sent provisions. But reports from passengers who managed to catch a cellphone connection say that supplies are dwindling and lines to get what little food remains are long.

At first, people were allowed to take as much as they wanted, which led to discord on the ship, passengers said.

“A lot of people were complaining that people were hoarding their food,” Ms. Alderete said. “But it’s not because they were being greedy. It was because, like us, there were 30 of us and we all couldn’t walk up the stairs and wait to get the food. We sent people to try to bring things back to us.” Sounds like fun ,Whoo Hooo!

I have followed this thread, certain correct information, and much misinformation has been posted here.

There are a few, with extremely knowledgeable information (aquahound is an example, along with a few others)

Rick

When the same trouble happened to the Carnival Splendour a few years ago, many here on CC said that a big problem for the passengers was going to be the lack of A/C. I was one of the few here who said that it was actually going to be the lack of HEAT in the cabins that was going to be the problem, as the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Mexico/California can get quite cold. it turns out it was indeed a lack of heat that was a big problem.

A few here will be right, most will be wrong in their speculation.

I still remember back when CEO gave press conference that passengers were given hourly updates. I would REALLY like to know if this really happened. And I am still confused about one thing. Is it true that passengers are now expected to get on a bus immediately after this debacle and travel MORE to a hotel farther away? I would be royally P.O.'d. I would want a hotel room already assigned to me so that all I have to do is arrive, be given a room #, handed the key and vouchers for free meals the rest of the day and a bus to airport tomorrow if I want one.

This is what Carnival hopefully has done. If not, shame on them.

DW and I were just discussing this.

First place we would want to go is directly to a hotel, shower, eat, and nap/sleep.

Then it's off to get my car, the fastest way possible.

And if my kid were on that ship, I would have been standing on the shoreline since as fast as I could have gotten there. Even though that is as irrational as it sounds, and would do nothing to help the situation.

One would hope they are doing it for the passengers.

Local commerce should get a bump the span of these days as well.

Oh definitely, I'm sure they are. I'm sure that they will be as helpful to passengers as possible, even though it seems that Carnivals goal is to keep passengers feet on the ground in Mobile for as short a time as possible for some ridiculous reason.

DW and I were just discussing this.

First place we would want to go is directly to a hotel, shower, eat, and nap/sleep.

Then it's off to get my car, the fastest way possible.

And if my kid were on that ship, I would have been standing on the shoreline since as fast as I could have gotten there. Even though that is ineffective and would do nothing to help the situation.

Wonder how long the "processing" (Imigration, customs, etc.) will take?

Mobile is in the deep south. Southern people are among the friendliest, most accommodating people in the world. They won't spite Carnival, especially if it means making things tougher on the people stuck on board the Triumph.

It probably helps that this gives them a chance to show what they can do for the cruise industry. perhaps Carnival or another line will consider moving a ship to Mobile after this.

As I previously clarified, I'm sure Mobile will do anything possible for the passengers, but for the corporation? Not so much.

Is that really true??? I dont think so!!!!

JH's post about Guys Burgers was before all of this happened. Again, inaccurate reporting!!

Guys Burgers may have been before the Triumph situation happened, but there has been plenty of other nonsense on his page after it happened. It's easy enough to check...

There were a total of three tugboats dispatched to the cruise ship. Did Carnival Corp send anyone from their home office (or the CEO, or someone from his office) to be onboard and over see the handling of the conditions on the ship?

Why? They would just get in the way. The captain and crew are trained for these type of situations, not the corporate office.

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Enough of your "knowledge" My point was why wait a day and a half on a dock while the ship is at sea.[/QUOTE]

As pointed out in a previous post, at one time it was reported that the ship may make it in Wed evening. And they have to wait somewhere, why not at the port?

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']I don't dispute being concerned, but why be on the dock a day before the ship will be there.
Anxious to see her child, yes, but is this the child on board with her father?[/QUOTE]

I agree. I've been watching the news and reading as many of the posts on cc as I can. If I had a child on this ship I would be concerned, but for goodness sake the child is with her father. I think this mom is getting carried away with talking to the news media.

Shouldn't be thinking this way, I know, but I have final payment coming up on a cruise and I'm not sure if I really want to go anymore. I probably will anyway just because I have been planning for it for so long, but I know I will feel nervous about it. These things are happening too often and it is just killing the buzz of cruising for me. I think I am going to start considering other types of vacationing after this.

[quote name='ducklite']As I previously clarified, I'm sure Mobile will do anything possible for the passengers, but for the corporation? Not so much.[/QUOTE]

Meh. They also have a business to run. Let's not pretend that they wouldn't fall all over themselves with gratitude if carnival decided to bring a ship back to Mobile.

[quote name='jpurdy']I still remember back when CEO gave press conference that passengers were given hourly updates. I would REALLY like to know if this really happened. And I am still confused about one thing. Is it true that passengers are now expected to get on a bus immediately after this debacle and travel MORE to a hotel farther away? I would be royally P.O.'d. I would want a hotel room already assigned to me so that all I have to do is arrive, be given a room #, handed the key and vouchers for free meals the rest of the day and a bus to airport tomorrow if I want one.
This is what Carnival hopefully has done. If not, shame on them.[/QUOTE]

Unless someone is there to pick them up or they have made their own arrangements, passengers will have two choices. Get off the ship and onto a bus for a 2.5 hour ride to NOLA or a 7.5 hour ride to Galveston. No showers first.

I'd be making my own arrangements, submitting the costs to the travel insurance, and let them subrogate against CCL.

[quote name='chi-esq']Written by someone with access to a toilet,food, a bed, and not breathing the stench of human waste. Some of these type comments are cheerleading, of course, which is a most puzzling phenomena to watch. Walk a mile in the shoes of those whose problems you so casually dismiss. What can there be about loyalty to a corporation that moves you to value it more than people? This thread is really a study in human nature.

I certainly hope these people sue, and if given the chance, I would compensate them generously. I do think there is a strange "jealously" about anyone getting anything "free" that permeates these type of comments. "I pay for my cruises, why should anyone get anything that I don't!"

There is an obscene lack of empathy in these posts. What gives any of us NOT enduring this ugliness the right to judge anything about how these passengers feel...or their families?

What would be the reason for the Mayor of Mobile to lie? Let the cruise line call his bluff, if thatis the case. NOTHING should be more important than these customers who have suffered intolerable conditions. . Let the CORPORATE folks stay an hour or two away and put these customers FIRST over the CORPORATION! Let THEM get up early for a day or two and make a long commute, so these passengers have the quickest access to rest, food and showers.

No one who is not experiencing RIGHT NOW the exact same conditions as these passengers has any right to make light of their situation. Personally, I wish we could charter a ship, put the Carnival executives making these decisions, and all these callous, sarcastic cheerleaders on it...and REPLICATE the exact conditions these folks are suffering. After YOU live it for as long as they have, then you may be as snide and dismissive as you please.[/quote]

Like, Like, Like !!!!!

[quote name='SeaUs']Many don't know what 45 degrees is.[/quote]

There are FREE bubble apps available for your phone....I use one to level my travel trailer. Used it the other day to level home plate at a softball game....the coach was impressed cause no one could find a level!!

billd

[quote name='gtalum']I will be surprised if he's not there. I thought I remember him saying he'd be there to meet the ship.

If he doesn't show up it will be yet another stupid PR blunder.[/QUOTE]

He did say he'd be there. Good photo op for his PR team. Kind of like when a politician shows up after a natural disaster. Cory Booker excepted.

Archived