Princess Should Offer An App for SmartPhones with Deck Plans, etc.

OptionAnon

Crusin' Chick,

I understand there are some who do not currently have the tecchnology (or want to use it while on vacation) required to utilize the app that I envision. The presence of such an app would not require its use to accomplish the same tasks. You could contiune to use the paper version of The Patter, continue to walk to a dining room to see the menu, walk to the kiosk/Purser's desk and then wait in line to get the info you request, walk to the excursion desk to book, etc. Or you could use such an app to save time and reduce the amount of wasted paper. Many people do already have the technology and have no problem using it for cruise related activities. On every cruise we take we seem to see more and more individuals using tablets for reading, games etc.

As to the idea of being able to access this info on your inroom TV, that is not going to happen any time soon on the current Princess fleet. It would require rewiring every cabin on each ship (at a very large expense). The current Princess TV system of is not capable of 2-way interactive communications. A smartphone/tablet app could be deployed with very little investment and NO additional equipment on the ships. They would just need to install some new software on existing equipment.

I am impressed with your technology knowledge (this is sincere). It would be very convenient to have such capabilities. Are you retired? I can see this being a pet project of yours. I know that hours and hours go into developing an APP. And that you really can't do anything without the support of Princess. But someone has to start somewhere. Good luck in approaching Princess with such an idea. Who knows what may come of it.

Renee

Thanks Renee,

Unfortunately I am not yet retired, a few more years to go. I just thought of this on our last cruise and thought it would be very useful. While I do work in the IT field, I have no experience in app development. Due to the nature of information required to complete this type of app, it would require (I think) that it be developed in-house by Princess, or at least with a great deal of Princess collaboration/cooperation.

Maybe, if Princess was monitoring these forums, somebody could get the ball rolling.

I'm glad I started this post...and got so much interesting conversation started about the possibilities of a mobile App that could be used onboard.

I knew there would be those who would resist it...but, to any of us who live nearly paper-free lives and have worked tablets or smartphones into places usually occupied by tons of dead trees and toxic inks...allow us to dream of a world that is just a little more organized (WiFi Reservations Onboard), simple (No walking to the front desk because you lost your Patter)...and green (less printing supplies).

:-)

Archived