super duper important question!!!!!!!!

:eek: reading about the fire on one of carnival's ships and in the article it stated that the ship will be pulled to mexico in order to get the passengers home. heres the question:

MY SISTER NEVER HAS A PASSPORT. WHAT IF THIS HAPPENED, HOW WOULD SHE GET HOME? SHOULD I MAKE HER GET ONE THIS TIME???

i think its crazy that carnival doesnt make you have one. what if this happened? would you be able to fly home? what in the world would you do???? :eek:

I'm sure they'll all be able to get home, but honest opinion? Yes, she should absolutely get a passport. If she travels to another country, even if one set of transportation is planned (ie, the cruise ship), you still never know what could happen. Excursions go awry, things get delayed. I'd never want to risk being stuck. You say "never," as though she travels frequently. What's the harm in getting one, just in case?

yea, i knew you guys would agree with me, and its common sense i supposse, thats why i have one. not worth the sweat for me to worry. but... cant help but wonder what could be happening with people who dont have a passport :confused:
they'll get a temporary passport thru the 'country' where the passengers are disembarked.. :)

Everyone should have one tho'.. Just makes sense, especially when cruising..:D;)

To answer your question:

The US Embassy will help everyone that doesn’t have a passport get an emergency passport to fly home. Seeing as the ship won’t be getting to Mexico until Wednesday. Carnival knows who has a passport and who doesn’t I wouldn’t be surprised if the consulate doesn’t start the paperwork before the ship even arrives.

I would also guess that Carnival will be picking up the tab, not only for the passport but the motel and meal expenses that may be incurred as well if there is a delay in getting the passport issued.

Definitely point out to your sister about the importance of having a passport.

Emergencies can happen -- just like the fire on the Carnival ship and people do need a passport to fly.

What if something happened to your sister and she had to go to a hospital in a foreign country? She would need a passport to get home.

What if something happened at home and she to fly from a foreign port? She needs a passport.

Sure the American Embassy can help her get one -- but she won't be getting home as quickly as others will. And if the emergency is for hospital or at home -- she is going to have to pick up the bill for the hotels and food.

Do a search on the boards for "passport" and you will find many, many answers to your question.

Answers, opinions and guesses. Every time I read those postings I can't help but wonder if they actually know for sure or are they going by what their hairdressers cousin's pool boy's mother said happened to her.

Unless they have actually had it happen to them, I wouldn't go by what I read on here.

As others have said, for no more than what it costs, the safest route is to get that passport.

i think its crazy that carnival doesn't make you have one.

The cruise lines are the ones who have fought to prevent the requirement of a passport, the thinking being they would lose a good deal of business from those who would not be willing to take on the additional expense.

Passports are required for air travel, but not land or sea. Those with alternate forms of ID might get a long bus ride to Brownsville TX. They could then fly from there. That or wait on the emergency passports to be processed, which I am not sure Carnival has the authority to apply for on their passengers' behalf. I've always heard it takes longer to get them processed than 3 days. I can't imagine with government red-tape involved that it will be a quick hassel-free process.

But that's just my Negative-Ned take on it, and I've been wrong on rare occasions in the past. :D

Doug

:eek: reading about the fire on one of carnival's ships and in the article it stated that the ship will be pulled to mexico in order to get the passengers home. heres the question:

MY SISTER NEVER HAS A PASSPORT. WHAT IF THIS HAPPENED, HOW WOULD SHE GET HOME? SHOULD I MAKE HER GET ONE THIS TIME???

You probably won't be able to make her get one but you can surely point out the advantage to having one in a case like this.

i think its crazy that carnival doesnt make you have one. what if this happened? would you be able to fly home? what in the world would you do???? :eek:

Nope, not a cruise line's job. People need to take responsivility for themselves.

To answer your question:

The US Embassy will help everyone that doesn’t have a passport get an emergency passport to fly home. Seeing as the ship won’t be getting to Mexico until Wednesday. Carnival knows who has a passport and who doesn’t I wouldn’t be surprised if the consulate doesn’t start the paperwork before the ship even arrives.

I would also guess that Carnival will be picking up the tab, not only for the passport but the motel and meal expenses that may be incurred as well if there is a delay in getting the passport issued.

Carnival will be paying lots of expenses in these circumstances....... or their insurance will.

You have obviously not been on cruise to some places where you cannot even leave the ship without a valid passport and VIsa - eg China, Russia, Turkey , Egypt - Get one now unless you are going to Bermuda and the Bahammas every time

Passports are required for air travel, but not land or sea. Those with alternate forms of ID might get a long bus ride to Brownsville TX. They could then fly from there. That or wait on the emergency passports to be processed, which I am not sure Carnival has the authority to apply for on their passengers' behalf. I've always heard it takes longer to get them processed than 3 days. I can't imagine with government red-tape involved that it will be a quick hassel-free process.

But that's just my Negative-Ned take on it, and I've been wrong on rare occasions in the past. :D

Doug

Passports aren't necessarily required for air travel. In emergencies, they can accept as much or as little ID as they need. When the Concordia sank, there must have been hundreds of people without passports, but they all got home.

Passports aren't necessarily required for air travel. In emergencies, they can accept as much or as little ID as they need. When the Concordia sank, there must have been hundreds of people without passports, but they all got home.

Concordia was in EU - for EU members don't need passports for cruise that go EU - having said that I've yet to come across any nationality that doesn't travel with a passport - except US - a bit like Americans cruising their coast line - Lucky though that she didn't go down off Libya, Tunisia, Turkey, Lebannon, Egypt, Morrocco - QUESTION -cruising the West Indies - Cuba got a US Embassy there?

US Embassy in Cuba? No. But..."The United States Government, which does not maintain full diplomatic relations with Cuba, is represented by the U.S. Interests Section (USINT) in Havana, which provides a range of consular and other services. " Plus USINT personnel are not allowed to leave Havana and there is no access to Gitmo.

Archived