Having a hard time choosing a barcelona hotel

My wife and I are cruising the mediterranean in late October this year and spending 2 days pre-cruise in Barcelona (one day after as well). I have done a good bit of reading and research and decided we want to be in either the Gothic quarter, placa catalunya, las ramblas or eixample areas. There seem to be a ton of good options that fit our budget (we are young and trying to take this trip relatively inexpensively). If anyone has stayed at any of these hotels or has any information to help out it'd be a great help!

So after lots of research and price comparing I have narrowed it down to a few:

The H10 universitat: We would be booking the standard double room over the basic interior. The booking site includes breakfast buffet for this room and the basic interior room's description said it is extremely small. The package for this hotel 2 nights bundled with our roundtrip price is about $2,175 for two. which is reasonable, but actually the most expensive of the hotels I have narrowed down to.

The Europark hotel in eixample: This hotel seems nice and from the description a standard double room would work for us. This hotel bundled with the flight would be $2,055 for the two of us ($40 more if we include breakfast each day, worth it??)

The NH podium: This hotel has good reviews and is close to Las Ramblas but still a little walk away. a standard room here 2 nights would be $2,060 bundled with our flights. A superior room would add about $50 and including breakfast with the room just seems like a foolish idea as it's listed at an additional $140 total for two nights.

Finally the last hotel that jumped out at us at first was the Axel in eixample: Upon further research we discovered that this was primarily a gay hotel (we are a straight couple) but is Hetero friendly according their website. The hotel looks very nice and has excellent reviews and even the standard rooms come with balconies in this hotel. I don't have a problem staying amongst gay individuals (I have gay family members). There were some straight reviewers who practically claimed there were orgies in the swimming pool and others who claimed it was not a bad experience and that the hotel was fine for straight travelers. LOL I just don't know where we stand on staying here. The location seems great and the price is right for certain at $1,958 packaged with our flights. Has anyone stayed here that can offer insight?

Bottom line I'd rather not spend anymore than necessary but would like to stay somewhere nice. If you were choosing what would be your choice? Are there any hotels I am probably overlooking? (before you say it, hotel Jazz is already unavailable on the site I'm using). Is one of these hotels easier than the others to get to from the airport using public transportation? How easy is it to get to the ship?

Anyone that has travelled to Barcelona and can offer advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have you read through the many threads on this board about hotels in Barcelona? There are 7 threads on page 1 alone.

Also, see the link in my signature for a complete list of hotels.

It is difficult to comment on the pricings as you have quoted in USD including the flight but looking at the hotels you have listed I would say these others may be in your price range

Husa Oriente

Flor Parks

Regencia Colón

I can't comment on the Axel. I know it is 'Gay Friendly' but I do not know how suitable it would be for you.

Also, in general, unless you get a very good deal on breakfast, you would be better off getting breakfast in a nearby cafe of which there are lots everywhere in the city. Breakfast in Spain is usually a very simple affair and not the kind of breakfast you get in US or UK.

I've had a quick look for a hotel we stayed in a year or so back but sorry, can't seem to find it.

When we visited Barcelona this is what we found -

When doing some research I found unless you stay in one of the really old, expensive ones the rooms are quite small.

Our hotel had restaurant, bar and pool, never used them, there are so many cafe, bars, and fantastic restaurants, why would you want to stay in the hotel, and I noticed you are going in October, we went in March, I think the weather is quite similar, it is perfect for sightseeing but unless heated a bit cold for swimming. Plus you will only be there for a few days and all these things make hotels more expensive.

As for location we stayed near las Ramblas, I think more the gothic quarter, we found this great for sightseeing most of the main attractions, plus close to the beach, port Vell and all the seafood restaurants, in fact we didn't use any public transport, walked everywhere.

One thing I wish we had done is bought a ticket for the hop on hop off bus as Barcelona is massive and we didn't get to see La Sagrada Familia as its not within walking distance of La Ramblas plus a few other attractions, it really is a big place so take some comfortable walking shoes.

Make sure you go to the Boqueria market it's fantastic.

Hope this helps in some way.

Janec16

I can't say enough good things about Hotel 1898, but I don't know if it fits within your price range - it's hard to tell since you've bundled it in with airfare. It has reasonably sized rooms and wonderful beds, a lovely decor (well, to my tastes - lots of dark wood, wicker, and marble), and a fabulous location right no La Rambla within 2 blocks of Placa Catalunya and several metro stations. I loved the rooftop lounge and went there every night for sangria while I looked through the photos I'd taken that day.

I agree not to bother paying for breakfast at the hotel - there are so many interesting and tasty options, and I think it's part of the fun of traveling to find new and different places to eat.

I can't say enough good things about Hotel 1898, but I don't know if it fits within your price range - it's hard to tell since you've bundled it in with airfare. It has reasonably sized rooms and wonderful beds, a lovely decor (well, to my tastes - lots of dark wood, wicker, and marble), and a fabulous location right no La Rambla within 2 blocks of Placa Catalunya and several metro stations. I loved the rooftop lounge and went there every night for sangria while I looked through the photos I'd taken that day.

I agree not to bother paying for breakfast at the hotel - there are so many interesting and tasty options, and I think it's part of the fun of traveling to find new and different places to eat.

Hotel 1898 is much more expensive than the hotels the OP is looking at. For example, at the end of October, it is nearly twice as much as Axel and NH Podium.

Having said that I am not sure where he is getting air fare + hotel quotes. Maybe a special deal with the airline in which case anything is possible.

The only reason I am so stuck on the package price is that it's literally cheaper than airfare alone. Cheapest flights I could find were $1,100 per person for just the fliight. All of the hotels I have quoted are actually less expensive as part of the package than even a flight by itself (crazy right??!) Its a popular US travel site that advertises to bundle hotel and flight and save because they can then use unpublishable fares. I have never seen it work this well, but with international travel, there must be a difference.

I didn't want to write down the prices of the hotels, because honestly...I don't know what they are? Technically they are all subtracting off of what just my flight would cost.

I have read great things about hotel 1898, Ohla, Olivia Plaza and Alma. all of these hotels however are $200+ more for the two nights and we'd rather save that money out of our limited budget for other things. All the hotels I listed seem nice and to be in good areas. I should probably just eliminate Axel. It was just tempting due to the price.

I am thinking the NH podium and H10 universitat are the front runners right now.

My wife and I are cruising the mediterranean in late October this year and spending 2 days pre-cruise in Barcelona (one day after as well). I have done a good bit of reading and research and decided we want to be in either the Gothic quarter, placa catalunya, las ramblas or eixample areas. There seem to be a ton of good options that fit our budget (we are young and trying to take this trip relatively inexpensively). If anyone has stayed at any of these hotels or has any information to help out it'd be a great help!

So after lots of research and price comparing I have narrowed it down to a few:

The H10 universitat: We would be booking the standard double room over the basic interior. The booking site includes breakfast buffet for this room and the basic interior room's description said it is extremely small. The package for this hotel 2 nights bundled with our roundtrip price is about $2,175 for two. which is reasonable, but actually the most expensive of the hotels I have narrowed down to.

The Europark hotel in eixample: This hotel seems nice and from the description a standard double room would work for us. This hotel bundled with the flight would be $2,055 for the two of us ($40 more if we include breakfast each day, worth it??)

The NH podium: This hotel has good reviews and is close to Las Ramblas but still a little walk away. a standard room here 2 nights would be $2,060 bundled with our flights. A superior room would add about $50 and including breakfast with the room just seems like a foolish idea as it's listed at an additional $140 total for two nights.

Finally the last hotel that jumped out at us at first was the Axel in eixample: Upon further research we discovered that this was primarily a gay hotel (we are a straight couple) but is Hetero friendly according their website. The hotel looks very nice and has excellent reviews and even the standard rooms come with balconies in this hotel. I don't have a problem staying amongst gay individuals (I have gay family members). There were some straight reviewers who practically claimed there were orgies in the swimming pool and others who claimed it was not a bad experience and that the hotel was fine for straight travelers. LOL I just don't know where we stand on staying here. The location seems great and the price is right for certain at $1,958 packaged with our flights. Has anyone stayed here that can offer insight?

Bottom line I'd rather not spend anymore than necessary but would like to stay somewhere nice. If you were choosing what would be your choice? Are there any hotels I am probably overlooking? (before you say it, hotel Jazz is already unavailable on the site I'm using). Is one of these hotels easier than the others to get to from the airport using public transportation? How easy is it to get to the ship?

Anyone that has travelled to Barcelona and can offer advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Can you unbundle the flight and hotel? In which case, try the MarinaView B&B http://www.marinaviewbcn.com/ Right on Passeig Colom (a couple of blocks from La Rambla/Drasannes Metro/Columbus statue/port shuttle bus). From the airport you could take the train to Franca (not Sants) station, and it would be about an 800m walk.

Can you unbundle the flight and hotel? In which case, try the MarinaView B&B http://www.marinaviewbcn.com/ Right on Passeig Colom (a couple of blocks from La Rambla/Drasannes Metro/Columbus statue/port shuttle bus). From the airport you could take the train to Franca (not Sants) station, and it would be about an 800m walk.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I have to keep the bundle. As I said before the bundle is saving me more than the cost of the hotel all together which I know sounds strange but it's absolutely true.

I appreciate the help and suggestions by all. I am thinking we will likely book the H10 universitat or NH podium. If I decide I can swing it, I may also look at booking the Olivia Plaza

we wound up booking the Olivia Plaza hotel. I hope this was a good choice. It was just about $2200 total for flights and hotel. Which means it was still cheaper than just the flight alone.

Although this hotel was about $150 more than some of the others we were looking at. It looks like a safe bet and a great location. I hope it was the right decision.

Looking for a hotel for one night after our cruise. We'd like to be able to drop off luggage in the morning and then tour the city the rest of the day. We have a fairly early flight the next am, and need to be AT the airport around 7am, so we don't want to stay TOO far away. Suggestions for hotel and touring appreciated!!

There are so many threads on Barcelona hotels on this board (6 on page one alone) I am sure the answer to your questions are already here.

I think I must have answered questions about nearly every hotel in Barcelona :rolleyes:

Just reading this thread alone will give you some idea.

Also, have a look at my hotel list (link in my signature)

Your hotel is a wonderful resource, many here have said so. Thank you so much for it.

But people still was reviews or recommendations, so forgive us if we ask these questions.

I was looking at the EuroPark and getting very good rates for a stay in November. Yet your list had the price rating quite high. Perhaps that's a change in the economy since Spain's financial woes?

I will indeed google this and other hotels and see what sounds good. Eixample sounds great to me--don't want to stay in the heart of Las Ramblas--not my style.

Your hotel is a wonderful resource, many here have said so. Thank you so much for it.

But people still was reviews or recommendations, so forgive us if we ask these questions.

I was looking at the EuroPark and getting very good rates for a stay in November. Yet your list had the price rating quite high. Perhaps that's a change in the economy since Spain's financial woes?

I will indeed google this and other hotels and see what sounds good. Eixample sounds great to me--don't want to stay in the heart of Las Ramblas--not my style.

In my list Europark has 4 euro symbols which means it is fairly expensive for its class. That means with normal pricing it is a bit above average for a 3 star hotel.

Obviously these price levels are meant as a guide. There are always special offers to be found.

The reason for my previous comment is that people keep asking the same questions that have already been answered for the hotel they are looking at.

I am always happy to answer any questions (where I can) about Barcelona but not the same questions over and over again.

I hope you understand

In my list Europark has 4 euro symbols which means it is fairly expensive for its class. That means with normal pricing it is a bit above average for a 3 star hotel.

I am always happy to answer any questions (where I can) about Barcelona but not the same questions over and over again.

I hope you understand

Of course. You're free to advise or not advise to whatever extent you like.

Your comment about EuroPark--does this mean it's not good value for a 3-star? I'm seeing a Superior room for around $100.

Of course. You're free to advise or not advise to whatever extent you like.

Your comment about EuroPark--does this mean it's not good value for a 3-star? I'm seeing a Superior room for around $100.

I am not saying it is poor value for money. What I am saying is that it is above average price for a 3 star hotel.

A hotel with a good location is bound to be higher in price than a hotel further from the centre.

You have got a good deal on a superior room. I am sure you will enjoy your stay there.

Thanks. I'm going to go over the list of possibles and see prices.

We also want to divide our stay up, so we'll see how that works out.

We're planning on renting a car and spending two nights in Girona, to see that town plus as many of the Dali sites as we can. Then drive back to Barcelona and enjoy the city for a few days before our crossing.

Carol:

Thank you for your input and your list. It was extremely helpful! My head is spinning with all the information and I am still struggling... Through all the digging, I discovered the Airport bus and now am trying to find something near the Placa Catalunya!

I did get a good laugh over trying to figure out what a HOHO bus was!!

Carol:

Thank you for your input and your list. It was extremely helpful! My head is spinning with all the information and I am still struggling... Through all the digging, I discovered the Airport bus and now am trying to find something near the Placa Catalunya!

I did get a good laugh over trying to figure out what a HOHO bus was!!

I may not be the best source for advice in picking a barcelona hotel. In fact, I was just asking for advice myself at the beginning of this thread. However, we came to the same conclusion and wanted to stay close to Placa Catalunya and chose the Olivia Plaza. The price was reasonable considering it's prime location (at least in October when we are traveling). I think the location seems like its hard to beat. I read the the Aerobus practically stops at the front door to the hotel as well which makes getting from the airport much less complicated. I'd check it out and see what you think.

Archived