Would you sue if you were on Triumph?

paulgraff

Would you sue CCL if you were on the Triumph?

I would.

PG

Care to tell us WHY you would sue them?

In answer to your question, NO I would not. I wouldn't even THINK about doing that. And if you weren't physically hurt by what happened on the Triumph then I can't even fathom WHY you would want to sue them. Accidents happen, that's why they're called accidents. The fire was put out quickly, no one was hurt, they're giving the passengers food and water, gave them full refunds, etc. etc. What more are they supposed to do?

Kind of reminds me about the woman who sued McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee in her lap. Good grief. :rolleyes:

NO. neither would i sue if i spilled hot coffee on myself, nor would i sue that mcdonalds made me fat, nor would i sue that an emergency happened and no one was injured and the situation was handled well and i was treated with respect.

now... if the fire was proven to be started on purpose or by negligence of the crew, and i was injured or someone died...yes, i might consider that. but the problem with sueing is that most of the time, the person suing done really deserve the amount they get, its greed and ends up hurting the company, and sky rocketing costs for everyone else.

wheres the good in that???

Carnival is making a strong good faith effort--free cruise, free transportation after they get to a port and a future cruise credit. What more can anyone expect. Mechanical failure will eventually happen. It happens often at my house and there is no one to reimburse me.

I wouldn't sue. I'd take as many hi-res photos as I could and sell them to the wire service/stock agency/etc. as soon as I got back. That would make me enough to pay for a three week luxury cruise every year for the rest of my life.

Emotional distress is a reason to sue...

Just wait till the posts start on CC from people that were on this ship start, can't wait till to you tell them to calm down it was not that bad.

And read the other posts about this ship on CC, it had problems before this trip that caused it to miss ports on the sailing previous to this cruise.... that is called negligence which put put people at great risk.... fire at sea very very bad, CCL made (and I cruise CCL and love them) a decision to put off needed repairs to stay on schedule which put people at great risk.

PG

At the risk of getting flammed for adding a little levity.

Should the people not get credit for an 8 day cruise since the total length of the cruise will be 8 days?

Should the passangers be charged for tips on an 8 day trip instead of 4 days?

It's a terrible accident, but the important thing is that no one was hurt.

Many people were upset that escargot was taken off of the menus because of a shortage.

Wonder how many lawsuits were filed for "emotional distress" after that?:p

Money grubbers will sue over most anything these days..if people sue over this they will probably get something in a settlement. That is the way things go.Companies settle to get rid of the lawsuits.

If I were CCL if anyone sues them and wins they should never be allowed to sail on a Carnival product again.

Care to tell us WHY you would sue them?

In answer to your question, NO I would not. I wouldn't even THINK about doing that. And if you weren't physically hurt by what happened on the Triumph then I can't even fathom WHY you would want to sue them. Accidents happen, that's why they're called accidents. The fire was put out quickly, no one was hurt, they're giving the passengers food and water, gave them full refunds, etc. etc. What more are they supposed to do?

Kind of reminds me about the woman who sued McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee in her lap. Good grief. :rolleyes:

She didn't sue because she spilled hot coffee in her lap, she sued because McDonald's was negligent by keeping their coffee at to high of a temperature and that as a result she suffered 3rd degree burns to her legs, and was hospitalized for 8 days and required skin grafts.

Definitely a Carnival hater, and/or possibly an attorney trying to drum up business.

Nope, definitely would not sue.

No I am not an Attorney or a CCL hater, if fact, I've cruise on them for many years including this ship as I live in NO.

And I am cruising on the Conquest again this summer.

Any doubts check my history, I have been a member here since 2000 and have sailed on about 25 cruises, about 10 on CCL.

PG

Things I am looking forward to when the Triumph docks...

I can't wait to hear the reviews on this cruise and just how long it takes for the class action law suit to hit the courts... and yes I would sue too.

And if I was on board I would be so pissed that they cut off the booze.

PG

Paul would you rather be on a airplane at 35,000 feet when they have a engine fire or a cruise ship setting in the Gluf of Mexico? I think most would pick the ship.

No I wouldn't sue, I've only been on 1 cruise so far and I'm ready to go on another one. Mechanical problems happen. The ships engines are running 24/7, 365 days a year and parts wear out which will either cause parts to fail or in this case catch fire.

Emotional distress is a reason to sue...

Just wait till the posts start on CC from people that were on this ship start, can't wait till to you tell them to calm down it was not that bad.

And read the other posts about this ship on CC, it had problems before this trip that caused it to miss ports on the sailing previous to this cruise.... that is called negligence which put put people at great risk.... fire at sea very very bad, CCL made (and I cruise CCL and love them) a decision to put off needed repairs to stay on schedule which put people at great risk.

PG

Emotional distress is not enough in and of itself to sustain a suit, at least as I understand it.

I am sure someone will try but Maritime law is complicated. It would be expensive to engage in litigation of an act of God. As someone said on this board, if you could prove poor maintenance was the cause of the fire you may have a basis for an action.

Here is a little story (coffee temp. related).

Daughter , gramma at a store (replaced by a walmart) when walmart first came to canada. The restaurant had those slider bars for trays.

Now, daughter was small and still in diaper, she reached for tray and the coffee dropped on floor and she slipped in it. Was so hot,burned right through clothes and diaper. They took her to the back and applied the burn spray.

She came home and off I go to walk in (by taxi) and left the other kids with gramma. So in short I had to take her twice a day to soak her little butt (taking taxi's) cause dad was working, for a week. For at least 3 yrs after, every time she had a bath the mark still showed up. Did I sue... No... I just was more concerned about her. So if people say they want to sue because of this cruise..... really, really.

What were your injuries and what damages did you sustain? CCL is making everyone whole by refunding their entire cruise fare. They are going over and above that by providing a credit toward another cruise. They are going over and above that by covering traveling expenses back to the states. What more do you think you would get in a court of law?

As I thought this you had written it!!

Embarrassing isn't it? I need to find me another country to call home! This "me, me, me" society we have become is really bad!

Canadian here...I am disgusted that thought turns to suing someone every single time something happens. What a mindset

I am sure someone will try but Maritime law is complicated. It would be expensive to engage in litigation of an act of God. As someone said on this board, if you could prove poor maintenance was the cause of the fire you may have a basis for an action.

A lack of maintenance (the cruise before this missed ports due to engine problems, see previous posts on CC) and you are calling this an act of God???

I am done with this thread, this is whats wrong with society, people never never holding those in charge with any type of accountability. This is why our country is in such a mess.

Enjoy being a sheep.

PG

Archived