What currency to take on Asian cruise

canary1902

We going on the celebrity Millenium on 3rd March and we are trying to arrange what currency to take. We start in Singapore and then visit Bangkok Thailand, various places in Vietnam and then to Hong Kong. Will we need the local currency for each port, or will some of them accept US dollar?

Thanks Susan

I did bring Singapore $ as well as US $ - then did the exchange locally when ashore.

In the ports you might be able to pay with US$ - but normally you will getter prices in shops using local currency - for public transportation, museums etc you normally will need local currency - but do the exchange locally

We going on the celebrity Millenium on 3rd March and we are trying to arrange what currency to take. We start in Singapore and then visit Bangkok Thailand, various places in Vietnam and then to Hong Kong. Will we need the local currency for each port, or will some of them accept US dollar?

Thanks Susan

Hi Susan. We did a Middle to Far East cruise on Solstice in November. We bought currency before we left the UK for places we were staying pre and post cruise and bought currency for the ports onboard ship.

As we were only needing around £50/£75 for drinks and taxis and a few souvenirs, the exchange rate was fine for such small amounts. We used our credit card for more expensive purchases. Taxi drivers almost always quoted the price in US dollars, but it was always far more than the local currency value, so better to have local if possible. We could easily change the unspent currency back onboard.

If I remember correctly, the only currency unavailable onboard was the Indian Rupee. The tuktuk driver took us to a cash machine. For your itinerary, if you can't buy the currency here you probably can't onboard.

Have a fantastic cruise and enjoy amazing Singapore. Go up the Marina Bay Sands hotel tower for a truly memorable view. http://www.marinabaysands.com/

Hi Susan,

We did this itinerary a few years ago and simply got local currency at ATM machines. It's the best rate of exchange and if you have a smart phone you can get a currency converter app that will help with how much currency to get.

You can us dollars in Vietnam but they must be in good shape, not wrinkled or cut or missing parts. We used dollars there so I don't know about the availability of ATM's in Vietnam, but in Sinagapor, Bangkok and Hong Kong they are everywhere.

Cheers, Rod

In Singapore, you can easily change your £ into Singapore dollars and Thai Baht. Many money changers everywhere. No need to change first to US$ to avoid double charges.

However, get some US$ in UK ready for use in Vietnam. There, some small shops only accept Vietnamese Dong, but otherwise most will welcome US$.

For major purchases you may want just to swipe your card.

Enjoy your cruise!

we've just about completed b2b cruises on the Millenium and I've used my credit cards at atm's to get a little local currency in each country. All have ATM's....and all ATM's seem to charge $5 to exchange currency. Most shops take Visa or $'s. Unless you are buying something expensive, just consider the lost cost as a trip expense. When we leave a country, I exchange the currency I have left to $'s on the ship.

I wouldn't do it this way if I were visiting Europe where the Euro is taken most everywhere...but for asia where you are in port for a day, it is the easiest way.

Hi Susan

We took some sterling and US dollars and changed up small amounts into the various currencies at guest relation. There is also a small bank at the marina bay cruise terminal where you can change money, can't remember if they had currencies for Vietnam, but they did have the Thai Baht and Singapore dollar.

In Singapore there are a number of kiosks that change currency. I am on your cruise and I plan to carry my home currency and will change some in Singapore as i need it.

In BKK should be similar, alot of asian countries have FX converters who are competing out of franchised kiosks. so should be fine but also in Sing, BKK and HK there are ATMs everywhere that will allow you to withdraw from visa card.

Vietnam I have heard you can convert at a bank easily, but if your worried the BKK ones or Sing ones will have Dongs i would think.

Archived