Oceania or Celebrity

deise17311

Thanks to both Orv and Steve for the reassuring words. I admit to being a bit nervous about trying something other than Oceania (or American Queen, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but which is a totally different product). However, I fully expect to enjoy the cruise no matter what small obstacles may present.

Orv, unfortunately, Century has only one specialty restaurant, Murano, which has what is to me a high price when one has already paid for food -- $80 for a couple! We don't spend that much at shoreside restaurants. Because that's the only one, and because it's so expensive, it's my understanding that the suite amenity of a specialty restaurant on Century is included only for Penthouse and Royal suite guests. So, I guess we won't be trying Murano.

I am sure you have an OBC from your TA (usually quite generous on Celebrity). The specialties are fabulous (both food and service) on Celebrity -- well worth the money IMO. Given the much lower price point on Celebrity compared to Oceania, the fee does not bother me. I liken the formal speciality restaurants (like Murano) on Celebrity to a NY restaurant where the same meal would cost several hundred dollars. I think it's a bargain.

Sorry to get off topic, but Don, you piqued my interest about the American Queen. We've been looking at that particular cruise experience and would value your opinion. Thanks! Our best to you and Betsy. Kay

Sorry to get off topic, but Don, you piqued my interest about the American Queen. We've been looking at that particular cruise experience and would value your opinion. Thanks! Our best to you and Betsy. Kay

Speaking of Celebrity, are you still taking that Pacific coastal cruise, Kay? You'll be sailing right past us! We almost booked that ourselves but ...

When you're back let us know how it was knowing your fondness for O. I know you can consider apples as apples & oranges as oranges.

Yes, Mark, we're still taking the Pacific Costal Cruise. We will be in Victoria May 15 and Seattle on May 16/17. Our Panama Canal friend Pete will be along, and we're also lucky enough to have our friends Ken and Tami along too. We'd LOVE to see you guys - onboard would be GREAT, but if not onboard, if we could shared lunch or dinner in Victoria or Seattle we'd be glad to buy!

If you're tempted, e-mail me. Last I checked the room next to Pete was still available.

Give my regards to your sweet Alison.

We are Oceania fans but our best ever dining experience was in Celebrity Millennium's Olympic Grill. Waiters in full evening dress and flambé dishes at the table, meat brought for you to inspect and approve before it was cooked. Of course, that was four years ago and things may have changed for the worse - it couldn't get better!

I am sure you have an OBC from your TA (usually quite generous on Celebrity).

Nothing at all from my TA -- no OBC, no gratuities, no discount, no rebate. Not sure why -- only my second Celebrity booking -- assume they don't have enough Celebrity bookings to offer anything. We did get free pre-paid gratuities directly from Celebrity on their 1-2-3-Choose promotion that was offered to everyone, regardless of TA.

Thanks to both Orv and Steve for the reassuring words. I admit to being a bit nervous about trying something other than Oceania (or American Queen, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but which is a totally different product). However, I fully expect to enjoy the cruise no matter what small obstacles may present.

Orv, unfortunately, Century has only one specialty restaurant, Murano, which has what is to me a high price when one has already paid for food -- $80 for a couple! We don't spend that much at shoreside restaurants. Because that's the only one, and because it's so expensive, it's my understanding that the suite amenity of a specialty restaurant on Century is included only for Penthouse and Royal suite guests. So, I guess we won't be trying Murano.

Completely understand your reticence given the expense. If the opportunity does arise, or your will power weakens, I recommend Murano on Century. In my view it was as good as the specialty restaurants on Marina (well maybe not Red Ginger), and much better than the main dining room. It has been a year however since I was on Century.

Nothing at all from my TA -- no OBC, no gratuities, no discount, no rebate. Not sure why -- only my second Celebrity booking -- assume they don't have enough Celebrity bookings to offer anything. We did get free pre-paid gratuities directly from Celebrity on their 1-2-3-Choose promotion that was offered to everyone, regardless of TA.

Sorry - but you need a new TA

I get OBCS on every Celebrity sailing that are HUGE (I've done 4 and have one more booked) and rebates -- often in addition to pre paid gratuities. Your TA is making way TOO much on this deal. You cruise a lot. I would call back and INSIST or tell the person you will take your future business elsewhere. NO OBC on Celebrity is ridiculous.

I am Elite on Celebrity, I love Celebrity and have sailed in a Celebrity Suite which is extremely roomy and its pretty great having a separate bedroom/living area and walk in closet.

The food is good on Celebrity I would before going on Oceania say the food was amazing, but after sailing on Oceania Riviera there is really no comparison at all. Its apples and oranges.

I had a Concierge level room on the Riviera. The room was small but it had a very lovely bathroom which made up for the size of the room.

I also gained weight on the Oceania cruise because the food is just that good, and we both gained weight even though we worked out for 2 hours a day!

I would say in terms of service and friendliness Celebrity would win in that category. I felt the staff didn't warm up til the end of the trip on the Riviera.

I would vote for Riviera in terms of nickel and dimeing. There were no extra charges aside from alcohol and the spa on board the ship

There was no one offering orange juice in the dining room then giving you the $5 dollar bill for it. There were no photographers constantly looking to take your photo so you could buy a package for $200 at the end of the cruise. There was no charge for bottled water, soda, ginger ale etc. It was nice not to have to take your card out constantly.

Even in the spa after the first treatment you didn't have to keep showing your card again. Also in the gym it was nice to just help yourself to vitamin water when you wanted too at no additional cost.

[quote

I would vote for Riviera in terms of nickel and dimeing. There were no extra charges aside from alcohol and the spa on board the ship

Actually, the shore excursions are extra too on Riviera, but then there aren't too many cruise lines that throw those in!

We're going on our first cruise on Celebrity in a couple weeks, after being die-hard Oceania fans. I was trying to save a little money, but after seeing how every little thing on Celebrity will set us back money, I'm thinking that Oceania is not as expensive as I've always considered it to be. Given that the price on their website includes port charges and taxes, air fare, plenty of bottled water when you leave the ship (important in the Caribbean!), free Cappucino's (how I love those), no $40 to eat in a specialty restaurant, and free irons and cheap DIY laundry, it's a great deal for what you get. I'm not sure I want to pay $3 or whatever for a bottle of water, or to have a crinkled pair of pants ironed, but such is life. There will also be almost a thousand more people than I'm used to, a thousand or more pairs of hands handling the serving utensils in the bufffet, not getting the best and closest docking locations due to size, and things like that.

However, the ship (Summit) looks beautiful, at least in the public areas, the shore excursions aren't as expensive as Oceania's, and their Caribbean itineraries are port-intensive, which I like. I think they also let you use the thassotherapy spa (spelling?) which Oceania charges for. In any case, the food may not be as good as Oceania's, and the places to eat fewer, but in the end, I really cruise to see the world, so as long as the food is better than my own (not hard!!) and someone cleans the bathroom every day, I'll be happy!

Like an above poster, I also found that my TA didn't offer much on the Celebrity trip, especially compared to the great deal he gave me on Oceania. Yes, he added onboard credit, but it wasn't much. Of course, we're in an inside cabin, so we're not spending a fortune, which may be part of the problem. I went on one of those cruise compete sites and almost every TA did the same thing - offered a little OBC but nothing else. My TA told me that Celebrity, unlike Oceania, does not allow TAs to buy up a small block of cabins when the cruises are first announced, and cheapest. Therefore, there is less flexibility in giving clients a break.

Yes, the options are myriad......

One of them being to book a cabin that includes the breakfast option that one desires. A great strength of the Oceania system, if you ask me.

To many passengers, the affordability of entry level cabins, trumps breakfast of any kind; yet those of us who want a more opulent experience have Concierge or Suites to choose from.

It's quite possible to have affordable entry-level cabins and offer hot breakfasts.

It's quite possible to have affordable entry-level cabins and offer hot breakfasts.

Yes, but judging by the the large numbers of passengers thronging from those "Hot Breakfast Clubs" to Oceania, I would venture to say that there isn't much need to make Oceania's entry level cabins any more desirable than they already are.....

Yes, but judging by the the large numbers of passengers thronging from those "Hot Breakfast Clubs" to Oceania, I would venture to say that there isn't much need to make Oceania's entry level cabins any more desirable than they already are.....

Getting serious here, I believe this is just another part of Oceania's marketing...

The first thing one notices in booking any cruise is that the pricing takes some pretty hefty jumps from Inside to Ocean View to Balcony to Concierge...even more so on Oceania than on many other lines...There's a typically low, very affordable entry level rate for an inside cabin...All cruise lines need this to advertise "Starting at..." to attract customers...From there, the sales pitch is to entice those customers to think "But look what more I get for just a little bit more"...

For many, the jump from an inside to an ocean view becomes easy...A lot of folks just don't like the idea of a room without a window...Then the jump from window to balcony is another easy one..."But, if I spend just a little more, I get extra space, private sun tanning and lounging space, fresh air and a lot more light..." The jumps from Concierge class to a Penthouse to a Suite also have great enticements--lots more space, butler service, etc.

But, and this actually holds true on all cruise lines with a "Concierge Class", what does one get to make that jump from an "ordinary" balcony to a "concierge class" balcony? The cabins are typically virtually identical...

So, this is where cruise lines have to get creative...

My last Celebrity cruise, I was in a Concierge class cabin...and I made the jump mostly for a specific cabin location--a Deck 12 "hump" with oversized balcony...but, most of the Concierce cabins were the same layout as other standard balconies...I kept thinking, what does one get for an additional $400 per person (what most were paying for this jump)? On Celebrity, it's a bottle of cheap champagne in the room, "special" allegedly better shampoos and other toiletries, appetizers delivered to the cabin nightly, a supposedly better shower head, plusher robes, an extra "point" toward Captains Club and a few other minor extras...I hardly ever ate any of the appetizers--it's not like food is hard to find, the extra Captains Club point means nothing as I am already at their highest level, shower heads, toiletries and an upgraded robe means little to me...So, what it comes down to is an $800 bottle of champagne! It is really hard to justify...

Getting back to Oceania, they are faced with the exact same problem...What can they do to justify that marketing jump up to the higher level? Well, on Oceania, they have tried various things to justify jumps in category--like different boarding times, extra specialty restaurant reservations...and different room service breakfast menus...

They are all somewhat artificial incentives...They easily COULD give out the same rights and privileges to all cabin category customers--BUT that would pretty much wipe out those incentives to move up in category from balcony to concierge...and lessen the desirability of the price jumps from one category to the next...

People tend to ask that question..."What do I get for paying a few hundred dollars more per person?...Without these incentives, they would be forced to "flatten" the price structure, raise the minimum inside price--hurting overall marketing, and probably eliminate the balcony/concierge distinction--which would likely result in raising the prices on he standard balconies, not dropping the price on concierge...

So, the answer is you have choices: Pay more money for the hot room service breakfast, get used to a simpler breakfast...or get accustomed to leaving the cabin for a hot breakfast (not like it's hard to finfd)...

I can tell you that, after traveling in inside cabins on both-sized ships on Oceania, I have been quite satisfied with the experience, especially when I think about how much money I saved. However, I am not claustrophobic, not rich, don't need hot breakfast every morning (only some) and don't need a personal concierge or butler. Therefore, my decision is easier than some people's! I've also had really good luck with the upgrade/upsell fairy on guaranteed inside cabins, so that helps - and I have to admit, I've always liked the verandas I got with the fairy!

But I agree - mostly Oceania's inside cabins are there mostly for marketing purposes! On most cruises I've looked at, they are the first to go, and if you don't get one right away, or can't find one through a TA, you may be out of luck!

I was surprised to hear that Celebrity Summit apparently has hot breakfast items on their room service menu. Of course, I may need a microwave to heat up the eggs by the time they reach me!

On our cruise to go from a B1 to an A4 is $100.

The A & B cabins go up in $100 increments so if you wanted to go from a B4 to an A 4 it is $400

Then if you want to go to a PH for a larger space & more perks then yes it does increase more

A1 to PH1 =$1300...but you get more bang for your buck

Pick a cabin Cat & price that works for you

If Oceania does not meet your requirements there are other cruise lines that might

We all have choices in life

Lyn

Oceania is entitled to make decisions about what amenities it offers to its various categories of staterooms and each cruiser is entitled to determine whether that sytem works for them. If you want a particular amenity, you have to book that cabin level.

The "solution" is not to complain about Oceania's business model, but to find a cruise line that gives you what is priority for YOU. Obviously, if a hot breakfast is essential at a particular price point then Oceania is not for you. If sailing Oceania is more important than any other consideration then you have to be satisfied with a cold breakfast or go to the resstaurants.

Oceania is entitled to make decisions about what amenities it offers to its various categories of staterooms and each cruiser is entitled to determine whether that sytem works for them. If you want a particular amenity, you have to book that cabin level.

The "solution" is not to complain about Oceania's business model, but to find a cruise line that gives you what is priority for YOU. Obviously, if a hot breakfast is essential at a particular price point then Oceania is not for you. If sailing Oceania is more important than any other consideration then you have to be satisfied with a cold breakfast or go to the resstaurants.

Perfectly stated! How I wish that I had written this! :D

We booked concierge level but never once ordered room service because we enjoy the breakfast buffet. Never used the spa pool for that matter. Did use the concierge lounge for coffee, but that was no big deal either. Probably would not book concierge again but being able to book specialty restaurants 45 days out was nice.

Archived