Very Poor Response and Customer Service From Carnival. Please read..

Arcticcat

Do you think that once they are ashore we will hear how they ate nothing but Spam?

Point is when Splendor had a similar incident there were all kinds of horror stories and speculation from the media based on a few of disgruntled passengers cell phone interviews.

After the passengers were disembarked there were many more stories of how hard the crew worked to make sure passengers were well cared for, than negative stories from passengers who planned to sue.

If I remember correctly CCL even gave the crew a paid vacation as well as compensation for tips they lost on that cruise.

And turned out, no passengers were fed Spam!

So Arcticcat, maybe you should hold off on passing judgement ahead of hearing the whole story.

OP is on a totally different ship and wants a full refund. If he us never sailing with them adding why would they care?

He is using customer service as an excuse. As others pointed out if it was fear and all he would have never sailed after the splendor.

For all we know he has been looking fur a reason to cancel for weeks.

I doubt he cares about the passengers anyways.

Also he keeps pursuing false information.

I love the people who would push others aside to run to the aid of a corporation

"Its not a customer service issue, its policy"

Uh........policy IS a customer service issue.

If I had a restaurant where it was POLICY to not provide clean napkins, youd agree that the customer service was terrible.

Sent from the awesome Gailerina using my iPhone!

Something that I haven't seen brought up on here-- let's say for the sake of arguement that you could in fact transfer while at sea (I don't believe it is safe at all, but just for this instance) can you imagine the chaos that would be going on for everyone trying to be the first? It is bad enough when you dock (or tender for a port) with people pushing and shoving to get to the front of the line, but if you add the circumstances that are currently happening, I could see many more injuries from that alone!

I am not a Carnival cheerleader, and I feel so very sorry for those currently on the Triumph, but I am sure Carniva worked with the Coast Guard to make the best decision for thier passengers safety- and as for wanting to be able to cancel and get a full refund on another ship, that is what "cancel for any reason" insurance is for.

;) I, for one, do sympathize for you and can understand your concerns and frustration. Do I think that Carnival, under current circumstances, should work a solution for ANY of their customers that are booked on pending cruises? Absolutely. I am with you on that. I say this as I do not believe that there are large numbers of customers that will begin cancelling their plans as a result. It’s my belief that most cruisers like me, understand that this is a fluke and very unfortunate situation. Again I say “under the current circumstances”, I think that Carnival could make adjustments to those cruisers that don’t share that level of confidence. It is about providing customer relations/service at all costs.

Arcticat: I know that what we each have to offer by way of comment is of little consolation, but I truly believe that in part the “news” stories that we are all probably plugged into take a toll on our emotions. I am watching the stories in disbelief. I too am booked on a cruise; RCCL- April. I’m not concerned. Not because it’s a different cruise line, just as I think that this was just a fluke accident. The day that we had scheduled to book last year’s cruise – on Carnival – we got up that morning to the news of the Costa Concordia accident. Yes, we did go book that Carnival cruise that day still (Have to say my wife was much more concerned about doing so than what I was!). And yes, I understand that we had a choice in doing so. If I had a Med. Cruise booked on similar ship I still would not have changed my plans.

“News” is about hype and storyline. Do I believe that the cruisers on the line have had a really rough week? Absolutely. Do I think their lives were/are at stake or that they were in danger? Not at all. I truly think that the cruise line is doing everything within their means to accommodate and protect the passengers. Just because passengers are uncomfortable does not mean either that the line is not acting appropriately or that they are not taking the passengers wellbeing and concerns to heart. It’s because of the fact that this IS NOT a regular occurrence (thankfully) that there is no real protocol or procedure. Maybe it’s because of my background and having had to rough it out myself at times, but I see this more as an inconvenience; one that I’m certain that my wife and kids would not enjoy, but they would come out of as stronger individuals for having experienced.

Again, I do feel for you and understand your concerns. Having read through the threads, I am a shocked at some of the responses and their lack of empathy. I’m certain if it were directly affecting their family, they would view your concerns differently. I would bet my cruise (if you knew me, that is something that I wouldn’t do lightly!) that if you relax, let time pass and just get on your first boat, you’re going to have a great and stress-free vacation.

All of my best!

Another poster put it quite nicely - the op booked his back to back AFTER the Splendor incident. If that didn't scare him away from CCL.... We had an unfortunate situation with Hurricane Sandy. We were "held hostage" by LIPA for 12 days with no power. No heat, hot water, etc.- we were freezing! It was an adventure for the first few days - then it quickly got old. At least we could drive to an area that had power, and get something hot to eat, warm up, charge out cells. While it was no way as despicable as what the Triumph people are going through, at least CCL is trying to compensate the passengers for their inconvenience. LIPA did nothing for us - in fact, I think they raised their rates!!:eek:

Good for the poster - we all act differently when faced with uncomfortable situations. I missed that post, was it his first cruise?

I live in asouthern coastal state and have been through my share of power outages from storms - summer and back in VA - winter storms. DS went through a week long power outage in VA last winter. I don't recall them saying they were held hostage by the local power company. :confused: With the snow storm (I've heard folks up north get them rather frequently) you knew it was coming and could make some preparations to make your difficult time less stressful. With that said, what does it have to do with my post or the OP?

To transfer to another ship at sea, the most important thing you need is:

- - Another Ship Full of Food But With No Passengers - -

Ignore the safety issues, there are no other cruise ships available to transfer the passengers to.

And don't forget, there are no Porters to transfer the baggage.

While this was happening to the people on the Triumph ( not to take away from their proplems) NEMO a large northeastern was dumping lots of snow (as in feet) on some of the people who had not recovered from Hurricane Sandy.

Some of those people did not have heat, water, electric or regular toilets for days. And the temp was a hell of alot colder.

I need a like button

While this was happening to the people on the Triumph ( not to take away from their proplems) NEMO a large northeastern was dumping lots of snow (as in feet) on some of the people who had not recovered from Hurricane Sandy.

Some of those people did not have heat, water, electric or regular toilets for days. And the temp was a hell of alot colder.

Sent from the awesome Gailerina using my iPhone!

I think what is driving people crazy on this thread is the absurd belief that there was more that Carnival could have done to get people ashore.

The lifeboats, empty ships magically appearing, and so forth are just beyond ridicules and are frustrating the logical thinkers among us.

If OP doesn't want to go because they're afraid of cruising, that's one thing. But to think there was a safe way to get those people ashore and corporate greed was the reason Carnival didn't do it is just insane. :)

I guess you believe EVERTHING you HEAR, huh?

Ok, has no one turned on the TV? Carnival has left a boat stranded in the Gulf, being pulled by tugboats with no power (very limited) no A/C, people are crapping in bags, puking, floors are covered in sewage and urine, fist fights over food and hoarding. There is also a tent city on the deck.

Guess this is acceptable, enjoy your cruise.

They are in the gulf buddy not the open ocean.. And the waves are low..

Oh my, you should have been on Independence of the Seas last month leaving from Costa Maya across the Gulf to Ft Lauderdale! It was rough. I've been on about 9 cruises before and 1st time to see the barf bags out.

I'm wondering just which cruise ship they should have just abandon their next trip so they can meet the one in trouble in the Gulf. I don't think they have empty ships just parked everywhere in anticipation of problems. I doubt many would give up their vaca so they can zoom out to help. Please, get real. I'm sure there doing all they can, and wasn't Splendor in the same trouble? Did they have sewage everywhere? I'm thinking large containers where you can dump your "goodie" bag several times a day would be easy enough to arrange. p.s. you can put plastic bags into the toilet and then when full remove and toss. Think port-a-potty. I'm sure there having a ton of issues, and I sure wouldn't want to be out there, but there was no one hurt, and in a few days they will have recovered from this horrible situation.

Its not the point about the fire.... Who cares about that. If the ship is stranded at sea, in this day of age they could of brought another ship and a transfer boat. I do not buy this crap that its to dangerous to transfer from one ship to another. They do it all the time! Ports that need a tender! You don't buy insurance for these reasons.... I have insurance (private) for sickness or death in the family.. I am insured.. Just not insured against a cruise line that operates poorly.

You are not the first person to say that Carnival should send a ship out to "rescue" these people. Are you aware that CCL ships DO NOT sit in a port waiting for the opportunity to "rescue" someone stranded at sea. The ships are constantly underway.

Let's say if CCL did in fact send a ship to rescue these "stranded at sea". What would you do with the 3000 passengers that are now without a vacation that would have been on the "rescue" boat?

The US Coast Guard is in charge of this situation, not CCL. Tendering in open waters is very dangerous. Yes, tendering is done while a ship is in port, but the ship is in a cove or harbor and are in protected waters... not the open seas. It's very risky and dangerous... no one has lost a life, let's keep it that way!

As for CCL not wanting to waive your penalties because you're scared, is ludicrous. Your cabin confirmation has your cancellation guidelines printed right on it. And, Carnival does offer Vacation Protection insurance for travel delays and interruptions. Maybe you should educate yourself before you come on here and post ridiculous comments. http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-protection.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_91

I am thinking about cancelling my next three Carnival Cruises because of everything I have heard on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News. Fortunately I haven't booked them yet, so I don't think I will lose any money on the trips. And it is still GW's fault, not just the last five years. I am sorry, I just couldn't resist.

This may have been mentioned already, I apologize for not reading 9 pages of the OP rants and nonsense, but where do you expect them to pull a completely empty ship the same size as Triumph that just happens to be sitting in a very close port nearby to run out to the Gulf and take on all the passengers and crew? Do you visualize this magical empty ship to be manned by just a single lone skipper who drives up, yells "get in y'all" and has all the space, food, and accomodations? Just wondering.

How CCL is handling this can be debated for the ages, what really needs to be addressed is how the peopel on board ( NOT ALL OF THEM I KNOW ) have behaved in the face of crisis. Reports of pouring urine and feces in the halls, smearing feces on the walls, being beligerant, etc is simply a sad state of affairs that alleged adults have taken party too.

Shaking my head ........

Wow! Just hope I don't cruise with the OP! Have cruised many times with a few minor problems but "stuff happens" and not always good. Does not matter what Carnival does for the passengers many will feel it is not enough.... Bet the lawyers are lined up in Mobile and that's a sad comment on our society.

The passengers have my best wishes for a safe return home from a very difficult time.

Cruising is still the best vacation out there.... No, am not a CCL employee or TA.

To the OP - I do agree that after the recent incidents that people are nervous and would be afraid to cruise on their ships. I would be. They should have a plan in place to work with (especially new) passengers who are leary of their product, have bought and paid for it and are now scared to get on their ships.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I've paid $$$ for a vacation and now I am terrified of going and there is no recourse.

Excellent point and one that seems to have been missed entirely in this thread. All the OP bashers seem to have concentrated on why the OP's concerns/fears are unfounded, unreasonable, or even worse silly or stupid.

The point is the OP has concerns, and others likely have similar concerns. It doesn't matter if those concerns are reasonable or not. They are out there and CCL will need to deal with them. Why - because they are the concerns of Carnival's customers. And lots of those customers are not seasoned cruisers and don't hang out on CC.

If CCL sticks by the letter on the contracts, which it has every right to do, it will save the additional costs of refunding cancelled cruise fares, but CCL runs the risk of alienating these customers.

For an industry which needs repeat customers, that is not a good thing for the long term bottom line.

Customer service (like beauty), is in the eye of the beholder. And in the eyes of many beholders, Carnival is not looking too good these days. After what's happened with the Concordia, Splendor, and now Triumph, it might be time for Carnival to gussy herself up a fair bit, put on a nice customer service smile, and shelve her lawyerly persona for a while.

Archived