Sorry, but S@@@ happens...Triumph

PatnJudy

Several years ago , my wife and mother-in-law was on a Carnival ship out of New Orleans when Katrina hit. Now, I will admit this was a NATURAL disaster and not an internal problem, but Carnival bent over backwards to make things right.

I am sure that Carnival is no happier with this situation than it's MOST pissed-off passenger. They are losing mega-bucks.

Would I go on an a Carnival cruise in the near future? Heck yeah. If I had the time off work, I'd go next week if given the the chance. :):):)

i have to think what happens with engine fire and failure on airplanes, cars or even trains -you most of the time have a catasphoric situation. at least everyone will come home alive and will continue on with life. human nature is to survive and make do...i bet we hear more stories of passengers helping each othe and support.

Stuff happens....Life's not always fair.....Make lemons out of lemonade....think of the cool story you have to tell your friends and family.....you get a free cruise and $500.....you can raid the mini bar in your room for free.....pee off the side of the ship and see who gets the most distance

Did you all feel this way about the BP disaster in the Gulf, too? "Sh!t happens"?

Shouldn't cruise lines make sure passenger safety is a top priority? I am not cancelling my upcoming cruise, but I have lost some confidence in Carnival. The fact that that ship had some prior issues and was just sent out again and again seems a very big risk to take.

And, "Oh well if you don't like it go somewhere else" isn't really cutting it as an argument. Just FYI.

Did you all feel this way about the BP disaster in the Gulf, too? "Sh!t happens"?

Shouldn't cruise lines make sure passenger safety is a top priority? I am not cancelling my upcoming cruise, but I have lost some confidence in Carnival. The fact that that ship had some prior issues and was just sent out again and again seems a very big risk to take.

And, "Oh well if you don't like it go somewhere else" isn't really cutting it as an argument. Just FYI.

What do you think they should be doing to make the passengers any safer? Honestly, what more can they do? They have had a Coast Guard cutter along side the whole time, they had two other ships stop by with supplies, they've had helicopters dropping supplies. They have explained that it would be too dangerous to try and move passengers to another vessel. They made the decision to go to Mobile because that is the direction the current is flowing. What more can they do to keep the passengers safe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just booked the Breeze last night, for April. This could happen, and HAS happened on MANY other cruise lines. You could incur these same dangers flying, driving, etc. It is what it is. I feel awful for the people aboard the Triumph right now, but stuff happens. I hope they all get off safely, get some food, get a good HOT shower, and move on. It won't detur me from cruising. 57 days, and we're on the Breeze!!!!!:D

What do you think they should be doing to make the passengers any safer? Honestly, what more can they do?

By the sounds of things, they are doing what they can while people are on the ship, and I hope the crew on that ship gets a very, very hefty bonus. Many kudos to the crew.

That's not what I take issue with -- it's the prior issues that the Triumph had. Problems on recent voyages, propulsion problems, etc, and that is what concerns me. I think it would have been prudent to take this troubled ship out of service to make the necessary inspections and subsequent repairs before this happened. In general, I'd like to see a more proactive approach to safety and not such a reactive one.

By the sounds of things, they are doing what they can while people are on the ship, and I hope the crew on that ship gets a very, very hefty bonus. Many kudos to the crew.

That's not what I take issue with -- it's the prior issues that the Triumph had. Problems on recent voyages, propulsion problems, etc, and that is what concerns me. I think it would have been prudent to take this troubled ship out of service to make the necessary inspections and subsequent repairs before this happened. In general, I'd like to see a more proactive approach to safety and not such a reactive one.

Engine room fire does not neccesarily mean it is related to the propulsion problem last month, kind of like you fix your alternator on your car and the next week your water pump fails... both are in under the hood ( engine room) but not related to each others function. I will withhold judgement until we hear the relationship of the problems, or if it was due to worn condition that should have been dealt with. Who knows it may just be a fluke, or could be result of corporate policy, or just bad management practices on this particular ship, to say it could not be any of those things and defend CCL... or to immediately blame CCL is premature.

Imagine the threads on here if they had taken Triumph out of service for a couple months.........and cancelled thousands of long awaited vacations.

I don't think they could win either way.

Hats off to the crew and staff who worked under horrific conditions to do what they could for the passengers who had to endure great difficulty and ruined vacations.

Imagine the threads on here if they had taken Triumph out of service for a couple months.........and cancelled thousands of long awaited vacations.

Hats off to the crew and staff who worked under horrific conditions to do what they could for the passengers who had to endure great difficulty and ruined vacations.

FINALLY!! Someone said what I was thinking!!! Carnival was playing odds that they could impact the least amount of people and fix things. Damned if you do/dont!!!

Contrary to what another poster told me regarding BP, that it was about oil, the forgotten reality is 11 people lost their lives due to that tragedy. Hardly reported compared to the great visual images of black oil, birds, fish, turtles, clean up, etc...Very few remember those 11 but by golly they remember the oil. I find that very odd.

No one lost their life in this, specific to the fire and resulting power outage. People had to live in very poor conditions but that's far from losing a life.

We also don't know what exactly happened. It could be Carnival's maintenance program is deficient. It could be they knew of a problem and rolled the dice. It could be a part that failed never should have based on past performance and manufactured supplied information?

Prior issues? Maybe related, maybe not. It's a complex system that has many different pieces that could fail.

i have to think what happens with engine fire and failure on airplanes, cars or even trains -you most of the time have a catasphoric situation. at least everyone will come home alive and will continue on with life. human nature is to survive and make do...i bet we hear more stories of passengers helping each othe and support.

Exactly to both of you.

While I do empathize with those currently on board, I was one of the first to tear into JH when he said in his blog during the swine flu cruise issues (minor in comparison) were handled "brilliantly",that without being on the ship at a time of crisis, you can not and should not speculate on what is/was going on.

Yes it's not an ideal situation. The majority of this forum is not on board the Triumph right now. I find most of the threads about this situation laughable.

Yes, there is nothing worse than a ruined vacation that you've looked forward to for a very long time. Yes people will lose wages, and everything else people are arguing about. In the end, they will eventually get home. As ticka1... Points out, it was not catostrophic in terms of lives lost.

I can't even read the huge b1tchf3st threads. People just don't get it unless they have been in that situation. And most haven't. That's just the way I see it,

I applaud Carnival for placing the safety of the passengers first, and specifically the Captain or whomever gave the order to deploy the CO2 system to extinguish the fire knowing full well the impact that would have on the engine room and everything to come as he knew what happened on Splendor. Depending on the system, the chemicals in them in addition can be very corrosive if not cleaned up quickly. Safety does come ahead of "comfort". While I do feel for the sick and the elderly on board, I am sure they were taken care of and at least they had their medicine somewhere on board as anyone who takes any kind of a "maintenance medication" knows to take plenty extra when taking a trip of any length by any method.

I am by no means a Carnival Cheerleader. The thing I would be most happy about on this cruise is the loss of power killing that annoying big screen. I am just sick and tired of people in general who have gotten soft over the last two generations and whine about every ineqity in life and all the Crises Television networks and news organizations. They had much better conditions on that ship than exist many places in this world or after real disasters like the one in Hati a few years ago.......

I have no doubt there would have been many "venting" threads about this, but that doesn't really amount to all that much. People could have rebooked their cruises or got their money back. Definitely an inconvenience, for sure some disappointed and unhappy people, but no one stuck out at sea. I think that would have been a better way to go.

If you're concerned about CCL as a company, then I think you would agree that while the venting threads may have been a technical "no win", it would have been far less damaging to the company that this situation. I don't think "People complaining about a cancelled cruise on Cruise Critic" would be headline news. ;)

But for me, this isn't about CCL and its bottom line, and whether people like them or don't. It's a safety issue and seeming corporate attitude, what I see as a willingness to take risks with passenger safety beyond a level that I am really comfortable with. Do I think CCL has a total disregard for passenger safety? No, not at all, but I do think CCL has a higher tolerance for risk that I do, or I would have if I were running that company.

I get that people love this company, and I understand people who want to focus on the positive. But you can't really do that at the expense of safety. If you really do like CCL and care about the company, then I respectfully suggest taking an honest look at this situation. It's true that no lives were lost, thank God, and yes it could have been much worse. But do you really want that to be the bar at which you set your expectations?

Several years ago , my wife and mother-in-law was on a Carnival ship out of New Orleans when Katrina hit. Now, I will admit this was a NATURAL disaster and not an internal problem, but Carnival bent over backwards to make things right.

I am sure that Carnival is no happier with this situation than it's MOST pissed-off passenger. They are losing mega-bucks.

Would I go on an a Carnival cruise in the near future? Heck yeah. If I had the time off work, I'd go next week if given the the chance. :):):)

I agree AND I booked a cruise last night for 4/7. I can't wait!!! :D Only 50 days to go!

The only thing that would skeeve me out about ever cruising on this particular ship would be the images of all of that raw sewage in the hallways and coming down the walls from the upper decks:eek::eek: I am really sorry to say this, but I am a hyprochondriac (sp?) I just hope nobody catches any diseases from this cruise. I just don't know how they can sanitize and clean all of that up. I know they will rip the carpets up, and I am hoping rip walls down and re sheetrock, etc. I guess the CDC, or whoever, will give it their blessing before she sails again, but this is probably one ship I wouldn't be able to step foot on.

Carnival could have have speed up the rescue of the passengers if they spent some extra money. Are you trying to tell me if the entire ship went on fire that the pax would sit in lifeboats for six days? Total b.s. If the cruiseline is under the Carnival umbrella I won't cruise them, first the Costa fiasco and now this. Something is wrong with the management.

Archived