With the Carnival disaster, maybe we pack

Richpontone

Funny you're saying this because my wife just booked us for a week camping in Yosemite. By camping, I mean real camping. I'm trying to figure out where the closest hotel is so I can sneak out of the tent during the night and go get some sleep in a bed. :)

We booked a cabin in Yosemite in June. :D You may have a problem, since most of the lodges are booked more than a year out, and cabins are close behind!

I used to always bring a small flashlight...now I have my smartphone with a flashlight app which I can't believe how handy it is.

Yeeeahhhh, great until you can't charge your cellphone. I have a flashlight app, and use it sometimes, but still pack at least one small LED flashlight.

Live in area where we get urricanes. I done the days without power and waiting in long line for ice and MRE's. We have things on hand at home now that will get us through a week.

Ill take a flashlight, some snacks, bottles of water, extra meds and first aid kit but those were all on my list ahead of time.

I just wish I had booked a Balcony.

It crosses everyone's mind that they may need to get on a lifeboat if things go bad. I'm pretty sure most people didn't contemplate defecating in a plastic bag for a week and sleeping in tents on the lido deck.

I think none of us would like what those poor souls went through for sure...but I have to say, as much as I love cruising, things that can go wrong on a ship, does cross my mind....and now that I'm 58 yrs old, I finally can appreciate why my mother always said to take extra underwear:eek:

I'm sure some of them had it harder than others. People with small children... sick.. people on scooters... I'm glad that many of the people have said that the Carnival workers were great. I am going to take more meds with me on the next cruise. I always take a flashlight. Perhaps more snacks... there's always been so much food. Hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, I know that I could make some kind of lemonade.

Nancy

Definitely packing flashlights small enough to carry all the time in the evening. Always extra meds and first aid kit. Solar blanket would be good. Now I'm thinking a jar of peanut butter!:D

Hope the Breakaway has a very large capacity back-up generator system.:cool:

I find it funny that every time there is a cruise ship incident people immediately start talking about taking extra food, water and such. Then the incident fades into the past, people forget, and discussions turn back to how to smuggle alcohol and whether to bring an over the door shoe rack.

Personally, the odds of one of these catastrophes happening on my cruise are so low, I don't even think about it. Yes, we bring snacks, drinks for the kids and an emergency kit, but I go everywhere with these items, so it is nothing new for us.

I sincerely hope those returning from the Carnival cruise from he!! that they have safe travels home and no long lasting effects from this adventure.

Definitely packing flashlights small enough to carry all the time in the evening. Always extra meds and first aid kit. Solar blanket would be good. Now I'm thinking a jar of peanut butter!:D

Hope the Breakaway has a very large capacity back-up generator system.:cool:

Hey, a jar of peanut butter is the perfect emergency food, and will keep you alive for a long time:D I do the extra meds, and a flashlight wherever I go. I bought a hunting friend of mine a small first aid kit as a Christmas present, and he said it has a ton of stuff in a box not much bigger than a pack of cards. Might buy one for myself.

Anti-diarrhea medicine' date=' just in case! :eek:[/quote']

That's the most important! :o

I find it funny that every time there is a cruise ship incident people immediately start talking about taking extra food' date=' water and such. Then the incident fades into the past, people forget, and discussions turn back to how to smuggle alcohol and whether to bring an over the door shoe rack.

Personally, the odds of one of these catastrophes happening on my cruise are so low, I don't even think about it. Yes, we bring snacks, drinks for the kids and an emergency kit, but I go everywhere with these items, so it is nothing new for us.

I sincerely hope those returning from the Carnival cruise from he!! that they have safe travels home and no long lasting effects from this adventure.[/quote']

Yeah..you're so right, like bringing a case of wine:D

Camp bed. Groundsheet. Water flask. Water purifying tablets. Wading boots. Peanut butter. (You can live on that and water alone). Flare. One live canary which will drop dead in the presence of carbon monoxide. Gas mask. Thick marker for writing messages on sheets. Rope. (You never know). Solar charger. Dry shampoo (have to look good for the press).

Honestly, I will probably stop cruising long before it gets to be so risky that you need to bring a case of MRE's just in case a disaster happens. Being prepared and proactive is one thing, but spending money on a 'vacation' that you're not confident about is just plain stupid.

We don't intend to stop cruising because of this incident, but we won't cruise on CCL. Accidents happen - but we avoid companies with bad safety track records. Next cruise will be RCCL in May, then back to NCL sometime next winter (haven't booked yet!).

That said, we always bring the following on ANY vacation. Heck, we have these things in our cars on a daily basis!

1) A couple granola bars, or similar non-perishable snacks. Not an entire case, and we don't expect to live on them - but a couple.

2) A flashlight. The flashlight app is handy, but phone batteries die quickly. We always bring a good flashlight.

3) Extra batteries. Enough said.

4) First-aid kit. Just a small one - just in case.

5) We don't take prescription meds, but I'd pack extra if we did. The only meds we pack are ibuprofen and allergy meds, and we bring extra.

6) Underwear. I guess my mom was successful at indoctrinating me, because I pack about twice as much underwear as I think I'll need.

The only things we'll change as a result of the Triumph incident:

1) Extra sunscreen. I've always packed what I thought we'd need and bought more if necessary. I'd be a lobster if I was on the Triumph, and for that, I will lug an extra thing of sunscreen on all future cruises.

2) DH wants to bring a case of water next time. We don't have a problem drinking the ship's water, so we don't usually bring our own, but if he wants to carry it, cool.

Funny you're saying this because my wife just booked us for a week camping in Yosemite. By camping, I mean real camping. I'm trying to figure out where the closest hotel is so I can sneak out of the tent during the night and go get some sleep in a bed. :)

Fun! I would LOVE that!

After roughing it with my son's boy scout troop everything is gravy....

Honestly, I will probably stop cruising long before it gets to be so risky that you need to bring a case of MRE's just in case a disaster happens. Being prepared and proactive is one thing, but spending money on a 'vacation' that you're not confident about is just plain stupid.

We don't intend to stop cruising because of this incident, but we won't cruise on CCL. Accidents happen - but we avoid companies with bad safety track records. Next cruise will be RCCL in May, then back to NCL sometime next winter (haven't booked yet!).

That said, we always bring the following on ANY vacation. Heck, we have these things in our cars on a daily basis!

1) A couple granola bars, or similar non-perishable snacks. Not an entire case, and we don't expect to live on them - but a couple.

2) A flashlight. The flashlight app is handy, but phone batteries die quickly. We always bring a good flashlight.

3) Extra batteries. Enough said.

4) First-aid kit. Just a small one - just in case.

5) We don't take prescription meds, but I'd pack extra if we did. The only meds we pack are ibuprofen and allergy meds, and we bring extra.

6) Underwear. I guess my mom was successful at indoctrinating me, because I pack about twice as much underwear as I think I'll need.

The only things we'll change as a result of the Triumph incident:

1) Extra sunscreen. I've always packed what I thought we'd need and bought more if necessary. I'd be a lobster if I was on the Triumph, and for that, I will lug an extra thing of sunscreen on all future cruises.

2) DH wants to bring a case of water next time. We don't have a problem drinking the ship's water, so we don't usually bring our own, but if he wants to carry it, cool.

I would add that I much prefer balcony rooms and book those. I cruise less often in order to do that.

I also pack a small dispenser of wet wipes and surface cleaning wipes in addition to your list.

I've always packed cleansing wipes, travel size Lysol and febreeze spray, Clorox wipes, Tide travel pack (you getting the clean every surface OCD here) a shake flashlight, magnets etc..

I will forever book balconies as well - both for selfish and now 'adrift' reasons...

Before news of the Triumph incident I had already decided to bring some extra snacks - hate opening a $5 bag of snickers mini's (or the like) to try and ease my hangover at 4am...will bring what I like - and it's cheaper!

I recall previous posts of people saying to bring a whistle, and small crank radio as well...

It really sucks this happened - if it were me on there on I know I'd be a mess...it will further suck if carnival knowingly sent out a 'faulty' ship, so I really feel for them...but they all made it home safely and this has not stopped me from cruising.

Concordia however was too scary...I hope there aren't anymore captains like him at the helm anymore...I like to think not - especially in light of this.

Still ready to set sail!

I for one don't worry about it. Could it happen again? Why sure but my plane could go down on the way to my cruise or I could get into a car accident on the way to the airport....Life is just to short to worry about what ifs...That is just my opinion

Agreed! How many sailings worldwide go off with out a hitch every week....much greater chance of getting in a car accident on the way to the airport.

I will add though that this was not the triumph's first problem...they had engine trouble in 2010. The ultimate moral to the story...cheapest is NOT equal to Value.

And let's not foget last year's Costa disaster... the 2 lines are from the same company...they have a safety issue that obviously needs to be addressed.

Save your pennies a little longer and get an inside room on a better cruise line....then you won't have to worry about sewage problems...which a couple of extra granola bars would not have helped.

We sail on the Epic next Saturday, and I do not plan to alter a thing...NCL has a great track record, and if something did happen they have a great emergency plan in place...we would not be doing our business in garbage bags for a week!

We sail on the Epic next Saturday, and I do not plan to alter a thing...NCL has a great track record, and if something did happen they have a great emergency plan in place...we would not be doing our business in garbage bags for a week!

Glad to hear that :D

Archived