With the Carnival disaster, maybe we pack

Richpontone

Yeeeahhhh, great until you can't charge your cellphone. I have a flashlight app, and use it sometimes, but still pack at least one small LED flashlight.

I have an extra iphone battery. Which will be charged before I leave NJ in April for my cruise. I am always in NYC and it gives me 13 extra hours on the cell phone.

Definitely a flashlight.

and extra batteries, for it, and whatever else I have that takes batteries.

And especially I will take a weeks worth of extra prescription meds with me, whereas before I only took a couple of extra days worth.

But Im not going to drive myself nuts either.;)

I originally said a dozen granola bars per person. If no power shutdown, then you can use them at the ports on excursion trips. Flashlight with extra batteries per person. Extra batteries for your cell phone for when you get to a port and you need to inform loved ones that you are safe. Finally and I just thought about it. A very large covered container. If the power goes out, fill it with clean water for drinking. You may be able to do without food for a couple of days but you can't do the same without clean water. That is not too much to pack for an emergency. Forget the sarcastic remarks on this thread, those people will be the ones that will act like chickens without their heads during an emergency. They will be the ones that will complain that Cruise Critics got them into that mess.

A true Cruise Critic member is a problem solver and not a problem.

I have always carried a AAA cell mag light whenever I travel whether land or sea, but since the Concordia I have bought a AA cell waterproof divers flash light for cruising

Hmmm, my DH is a flashlight nut but has never heard of these. I'll have to check them out, would make a great birthday present. I got him one of those on the head flashlights for Christmas and he loves it, maybe we will pack it for the next cruise.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Guess we will have a new packing list up soon. Did you see the one post by the guy who was on the Triumph who immediately went and got his valuables out of the safe thinking it might not work? My worry also and I think I will start packing all of that in one big baggie just in case.

The one thing that radiates for me is that a balcony room isn't just a "nice thing to have" anymore. You could have opened up your balcony door and sat in your room for 4.5 days while the ship was adrift. Those poor people in the inside cabins or in the ocean view cabins couldn't be in their cabins because of the horrible stench and lack of circulating air and for the inside cabins, no light. If I can't afford a balcony, I can't afford to go.

Vyhanek-

I agree, our suite balcony on a high floor offers a little piece of mind.

As I said before I'm not worried about this happening on my upcoming cruise but an event like this can't help but make one think. The balcony would be all the difference, in fact I read a passenger account of a woman who was able to cram into a friends suite room along with 9 others and she said she felt blessed to have that balcony.

I think that one should not let an event like this stop them from cruising of course but there is nothing wrong with learning something from a bad situation and being a little bit more prepared.

Definitely packing flashlights small enough to carry all the time in the evening. Always extra meds and first aid kit. Solar blanket would be good. Now I'm thinking a jar of peanut butter!:D

Hope the Breakaway has a very large capacity back-up generator system.:cool:

Interesting note...the Breakaway is new construction and all those need to have two separate engine rooms so that in a case like the Triumph, they still have 50% power and propulsion. I am not sure what the date cut off is ... not sure the Epic has that or not.

Interesting note...the Breakaway is new construction and all those need to have two separate engine rooms so that in a case like the Triumph, they still have 50% power and propulsion. I am not sure what the date cut off is ... not sure the Epic has that or not.

Have you ever been in an engine room down where the snipes work? There are four huge diesel engines in the bowels of a ship along with a number of generators, and there is usually only one electrical switchboard. While none of us have the knowledge where the fire was exactly on the Carnival Triumph, I suspect the electrical switchboard shorted out at the very least by the sprinkler system. Water and electricity don't mix.

Since the engines are so large and heavy, they won't be placing them on the lido deck. They will still be located next to another in the bowels of the ship. I don't believe two engine rooms will solve the issue.

I for one don't worry about it. Could it happen again? Why sure but my plane could go down on the way to my cruise or I could get into a car accident on the way to the airport....Life is just to short to worry about what ifs...That is just my opinion

That is my opinion too.

The only thing some of you survivalists forgot is Zombie Repellent just in case the crew turns into the living dead. :D

To be honest though if they do that I WILL remove the DSC.

I love you for this statement.^^^

Wet wipes, hand sanitizer and old ratty gym shoes. That's what's going on my list.

Flashlight, tranquilizer darts (to use on hoarders), SPAM (to go with the onion sandwiches), disposable hazmat suit, butt wipes, clorox wipes, febreeze, and duct tape (there's always a use for duct tape), and dark chocolate(why not? beats granola bars.).

Archived