With the Carnival disaster, maybe we pack

Richpontone

A dozen granola bars per person, in case something similar happens on a NCL ship. I read that food was hard to come by.

I also read that some people were hoarding items which just adds to the problem. We just finished our first Carnival cruise and we always bring snacks like granola bars and little bags of nuts with us. We end up bringing most of it back but it's nice to have something quick if you are hungry at the airport etc.

Heck maybe one should contemplate purchasing a satellite phone to bring along so they can relay info about the ship to the media (and their families to) even faster! Imagine, live via satellite from the decks of the Carnival Failure ;)

Also perhaps bring a tent and some camping gear, which evidently would have come in handy on this cruise :D

Yea Ill be honest, although I really am not worried about this happening on my upcoming cruise, I am packing extra food and diapers for my baby daughter. I could make do with onion sandwiches or whatever they had to eat, but being without what she would need would be terrible.

After the splendor fiasco, I started packing small flashlights with extra batteries. We already packed extra meds because you just never know when you'll get an unplanned "extended" cruise.

We were just talking about the same thing last night. I think we are going to start doing the same thing - small flashlights and extra meds. Better safe than sorry. We already do small snacks and I think one can survive in a situation like the Triumph as long as you have the meds you need. The other is more for comfort.

I for one don't worry about it. Could it happen again? Why sure but my plane could go down on the way to my cruise or I could get into a car accident on the way to the airport....Life is just to short to worry about what ifs...That is just my opinion

I for one don't worry about it. Could it happen again? Why sure but my plane could go down on the way to my cruise or I could get into a car accident on the way to the airport....Life is just to short to worry about what ifs...That is just my opinion

I totally agree with you. No one is dead and no major injuries. Could have been a lot worse.

I totally agree with you. No one is dead and no major injuries. Could have been a lot worse.

It's also good so many people are coming off talking about how great the crew was through the ordeal and how helpful some passengers were to one another.... It's always good to hear those stories arise out of a bad situation.

I also read that some people were hoarding items which just adds to the problem. We just finished our first Carnival cruise and we always bring snacks like granola bars and little bags of nuts with us. We end up bringing most of it back but it's nice to have something quick if you are hungry at the airport etc.

We do, too. When eating them at the airport, I think these two bars are saving $20, lol. Also use them on tours rather than using tour time to eat. Never have eaten one onboard, but they would have come in handy. I'll add a few more to the backpack in the future.

If we all reacted to all the things that happen everyday of our lives to other people, in other countries, in totally different situations we would be staying at home with our heads in the sand. Life is to short to worry about the little things, go out and enjoy it, have a blast it may be your last chance to do it. Now I'm not saying that taking some precautions is a bad idea, but lets be practical here. Just because it happened somewhere to someone, somehow doesn't mean it's going to happen to you !!!

I'm going on a Cruise, Flight, Train or Car ride to get to where I'm going to have a good time period. Not going to worry about sinking, crashing, colliding or having mechanical trouble. If I did, I'll end up with an Ulcer, Heart Problems, High Blood Pressure or all of these and worse.

If it's my turn to go then I'll go with a smile on my face because I'll go doing something I enjoy. But that's JMHO. ;) So please don't flame.:eek:

cheers...the Ump...:D

I was in a situation years ago on another Carnival vessel, so I always pack 2 x the meds I need to just be safe. Since DH uses Oxygen, we always have enough extra batteries to go a minimum of 36 hours. I'm thinking I might increase that now though (but, he can lower the use for periods of time so we are going to recalculate the battery life issues).

My DH and I both have food allergies so there are always "safe snacks" packed so that we don't need to worry when on shore. I may take a bit more on the next cruise as I'd rather have more (then again, we drive to the port so carrying extra isn't a big deal).

I used to always bring a small flashlight...now I have my smartphone with a flashlight app which I can't believe how handy it is. As far as meds, we always bring extra when vacationing, especially on a cruise, you never know what can happen. It amazes me when reading so many posts about the triumph disaster, how so many are so appalled and shocked by something like this happening....any vacation that starts with a safety drill...it has to cross everybody's mind that something might happen.

It amazes me when reading so many posts about the triumph disaster, how so many are so appalled and shocked by something like this happening....any vacation that starts with a safety drill...it has to cross everybody's mind that something might happen.

It crosses everyone's mind that they may need to get on a lifeboat if things go bad. I'm pretty sure most people didn't contemplate defecating in a plastic bag for a week and sleeping in tents on the lido deck.

I travel for a living, on the road multiple weeks per month, here is what I carry:

1. small led flashlight with spare AA batteries, why size,amount of light and time of use 100's of hours
  2. duct tape
  3. spare meds / basic first aid kit
  4. magnets - a cruise cabin is nothng but a big metal box btw
  5. granola bars / nuts
  6. personal size hand sanitizer
  7. bottle of water

Like going camping... no runing water, porta potties, limited food supplies.

Funny you're saying this because my wife just booked us for a week camping in Yosemite. By camping, I mean real camping. I'm trying to figure out where the closest hotel is so I can sneak out of the tent during the night and go get some sleep in a bed. :)

I carry a small waterproof VHF radio along with a personal (handheld) EBIRB. Two LED flash lights, one is powered by a small crank, half dozen energy bars, extra meds, solar blanket and a few other things. the total amount of space this take is about 16 x 8 x 6. The VHF and EBIRB are from my boat. I use a small ditch bag to keep everything in

Funny you're saying this because my wife just booked us for a week camping in Yosemite. By camping, I mean real camping. I'm trying to figure out where the closest hotel is so I can sneak out of the tent during the night and go get some sleep in a bed. :)

Haha, sound like us except in reverse. I hate camping and DH loves it.

Archived