CNN blasted by John Stewart for its Triumph Coverage

sakapfet

If CNN had not covered the cruise from hell, all the cheer leaders would have been crying "Why doesn't the press give this any coverage"

... If what everyone says about "cheerleaders" is true... WHY would they want media coverage that makes Carnival look bad? Isn't the point of the cheerleaders to say Carnival is awesome no matter what?? How does negative publicity help the cheerleaders?? Your statement makes no sense... I assume you just wanted to say SOMETHING negative but didn't think that one thru... Just sayin

CNN went out there expecting the worst case scenario but it turned out like Geraldo and Capones vault:eek:

What I thought was ridiculous was when CNN spoke to passengers most were upbeat and of the opinion that stuff happens and Carnival treated them great under difficult conditions. Then CNN asked questions that would put a different spin on the interview to make it seem like a near death experience. Shame on CNN.

I do know that CNN was supposed to have a half-hour report on the Triumph last night that I set up to DVR. When that time came, they had apparently removed this from their schedule and it was just a normal "Newsroom" programming. I didn't continue to watch to see if they mentioned the Triumph or not, but apparently they figured it wouldn't achieve their aims or whatever.

CNN went out there expecting the worst case scenario but it turned out like Geraldo and Capones vault:eek:

I would say "Don't fool yourself," but you will anyway. The "vault" is quite full. I live in Texas, and quite a few Texans were on the Triumph. In fact, since Saturday, I've read three passengers accounts posted in local newspapers. Another 3 or more interviewed on local DFW television stations. None of them are painting an upbeat picture. Of course, they're all grateful to the crew, but they are agreed on another point: Carnival Cruise Lines must be held accountable for the cause of the fire. They also believe they were not compensating fairly for the ordeal.

The Carnival Cruise Line PR Corps on Cruise Critic would have been thrilled had no one covered this mess.

That's why they should have gotten out in front of it.

Apparently the same generators that power the Triumph also powered the CCL PR machine, as well as the John Heald Facebook page.

Uncle Gerry should take some acting lessons from John Boehner.

If CNN had not covered the cruise from hell, all the cheer leaders would have been crying "Why doesn't the press give this any coverage"

LOL... Seriously dude...feeble attempt at provocation.

I watched CNN for first time in probably 10 years because they were only one covering it... they might have actually registered in the ratings that night. CCL does need to hire some better PR people... the shoud learn from politicians it is not about what you do, it is how you look doing it.

That's why they should have gotten out in front of it.

Apparently the same generators that power the Triumph also powered the CCL PR machine, as well as the John Heald Facebook page.

Uncle Gerry should take some acting lessons from John Boehner.

Unfortunately for Uncle Gerry he got his acting lessons from the current Prez, that's why he's a bad actor.

We were on the Magic and the only news we got about it was on the CNN channel onboard. Crew and staff weren't talking about it for sure... one said that there was a "memo" out about discussing it with pax. And to agree with the other Texas poster, the vault is indeed, quite full. Lots of local cruisers and Triumph regulars live in the South Houston Area and the local papers are full of stories, which will continue in social circles for a good while. There were already many repeat cruisers that were wary of Triumph for other reasons- some of which have been recently reported on this very board. Crossing your fingers when you board a ship, plane, car or bus with a repeat history of mechanical issues or contagion is not a good way to approach travel. We need staightforward reports of what goes on to help us all know what to embrace and what to not to embrace. Very few people are going to stop cruising completely because of Triumph's misfortunes. They might, however- switch over to another line since more opportunities are opening up in the Houston area. I think most people have exhibited a very understanding attitude about this mishap, but in-depth national news coverage in general was absent in quite a few important stories this week- including the Russian meteor/2012 DA14 asteroid "coincidence". BTW, it is very surreal to watch coverage of a disabled whale tail when you are actually on a cruise.

I would say "Don't fool yourself," but you will anyway. The "vault" is quite full. I live in Texas, and quite a few Texans were on the Triumph. In fact, since Saturday, I've read three passengers accounts posted in local newspapers. Another 3 or more interviewed on local DFW television stations. None of them are painting an upbeat picture. Of course, they're all grateful to the crew, but they are agreed on another point: Carnival Cruise Lines must be held accountable for the cause of the fire. They also believe they were not compensating fairly for the ordeal.

Why don't you post links to these things that you have read?

Archived