The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

My husband and I got Cheers last week and we can both drink. I added our receipts and we did NOT end up drinking the amount we paid (despite hitting close to 15 Twilight Zones each one day at $7.25 per drink ... ) We had two port days where we were off the ship from 7am-5pm and 11am-7pm)

We mostly had those TZs, but also Bud Limes, Crown and Gingers, Malibu and Diets, Red's Remedys, Mango Swirls and then tried a ton of other drinks ... we would not get the program again. It was nice not to worry about what we were spending, but especially with tipping beyond what's included with the program, we didn't feel it was worth it financially. We drank more BECAUSE of it, we would have saved money had we paid out of pocket and just drank "normally"

My husband and I got Cheers last week and we can both drink. I added our receipts and we did NOT end up drinking the amount we paid (despite hitting close to 15 Twilight Zones each one day at $7.25 per drink ... ) We had two port days where we were off the ship from 7am-5pm and 11am-7pm)

We mostly had those TZs, but also Bud Limes, Crown and Gingers, Malibu and Diets, Red's Remedys, Mango Swirls and then tried a ton of other drinks ... we would not get the program again. It was nice not to worry about what we were spending, but especially with tipping beyond what's included with the program, we didn't feel it was worth it financially. We drank more BECAUSE of it, we would have saved money had we paid out of pocket and just drank "normally"

Thank you for ur feed back. I have been going back and forth with this program. Me my DF and brother and his wife are sailing on the breeze in Aug. I know he and his wife will not go for it and the more I read and think about I may not eight.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have been debating whether my boyfriend and I should get the Cheers program. It felt like each day my opinion had changed. But ultimately it was the thought that the days in port, I wouldn't drink as much on the ship. So it's nice to hear that you actually experienced this as well.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have been debating whether my boyfriend and I should get the Cheers program. It felt like each day my opinion had changed. But ultimately it was the thought that the days in port, I wouldn't drink as much on the ship. So it's nice to hear that you actually experienced this as well.

What it all actually comes down to is what you do when you're in port. If your port time consists of hanging out and drinking all day long, then you're not going to be in the mood to drink once you get back on the ship. It also depends on what you normally drink and the price of said drink. For arguments sake, if you drink a drink that is 7.50, then you need to consume 6 of them on average per day to break even. Even if you're on a port day and you only drink between 500pm and 12 midnight, don't you think it's possible to drink 6 drinks over the course of 7 hours? Two before dinner, one with dinner and 3 after dinner is not really pounding drinks.

It's been discussed various times on the boards, but the piece of mind it provides is the best thing in my opinion. I enjoy cruising and all inclusives as my favorites ways to vacation, because decisions are lessened and more things are included. Not having to worry about ordering a drink and worrying about the bottom line cost is really nice. I'm cheap, so I'll think twice about buying a drink if I know it's going to cost me 9.95 plus 1.50 tip, but if it's already included at an all inclusive or through a drinks package on a cruise, then I will enjoy that drink and it's one less thing to fret about on my vacation.

What it all actually comes down to is what you do when you're in port. If your port time consists of hanging out and drinking all day long, then you're not going to be in the mood to drink once you get back on the ship. It also depends on what you normally drink and the price of said drink. For arguments sake, if you drink a drink that is 7.50, then you need to consume 6 of them on average per day to break even. Even if you're on a port day and you only drink between 500pm and 12 midnight, don't you think it's possible to drink 6 drinks over the course of 7 hours? Two before dinner, one with dinner and 3 after dinner is not really pounding drinks.

It's been discussed various times on the boards, but the piece of mind it provides is the best thing in my opinion. I enjoy cruising and all inclusives as my favorites ways to vacation, because decisions are lessened and more things are included. Not having to worry about ordering a drink and worrying about the bottom line cost is really nice. I'm cheap, so I'll think twice about buying a drink if I know it's going to cost me 9.95 plus 1.50 tip, but if it's already included at an all inclusive or through a drinks package on a cruise, then I will enjoy that drink and it's one less thing to fret about on my vacation.

I agree with the peace of mind knowing. I like getting off the ship with only souvenirs to remind me of my fun time.

My husband and I got Cheers last week and we can both drink. I added our receipts and we did NOT end up drinking the amount we paid (despite hitting close to 15 Twilight Zones each one day at $7.25 per drink ... )

I have to say a Twilight Zone sounds interesting. What goes in it? :)

This Cheers Program might be the best think since sliced cheese lol...Makes me even more excited for my upcoming cruise.

The best thing since sliced cheese was the 123 Go Promotion on Celebrity, where their classic alcoholic drinks package, was included for FREE during three different promotional periods over the past few months. And there is no 15 drink limit with their program either. :)

I'm a loyal Platinum Carnival cruiser and we thoroughly enjoyed the Cheers program in January on the Breeze, but the 123 promo has swung us to enjoy our next two cruises on X.

My wife and I purchased the Cheers program on our recent 8 day Carnival Freedom cruise. It included four ports of call. I tried to save all my receipts and have calculated out that we more than covered the cost of the program!!!!! We are festive folks and certainly don't have "a problem" but enjoy unwinding while on vacation. I did a spreadsheet and the cheers program paid for itself each day- except for Tuesday our first port day after three straight sea days. We were off the ship before bar service began (or else I would have had a bloody mary).

So for us the program was a winner- one that we'll do again from now on. I loved that I didn't have to worry what my bar tab was going to be. While I understand it's not for everyone- I wanted to offer evidence that you can drink responsibly and still make economic sense of the Cheers program!

I wish they offered this on all the ships. It would be great for our upcoming trip to take advantage of this without having to have both my non-drinking DH pay for it too. We booked two rooms with a child in each one this time, so I would get definitely get it....if I could. :(

I wish they offered this on all the ships. It would be great for our upcoming trip to take advantage of this without having to have both my non-drinking DH pay for it too. We booked two rooms with a child in each one this time, so I would get definitely get it....if I could. :(

They need to make it fleetwide!!! I want it on the fascination by Nov

They need to make it fleetwide!!! I want it on the fascination by Nov

It is available on the 14 newer and larger ships in the fleet that primarily cruise for 6+ days. There are some exceptions, but the 9 older ships that do the 3-5 day sailings do not and probably will not have the program. Carnival wants to make money on the program, which it obviously does and at the same time it wants to steer away from its "party ship" reputation. Having the Cheers package as an option on the shorter sailings would add fuel to that fire that the PR department certainly does not need since the Concordia disaster and the other mechanical issues on a few of their ships over the past few years.

RCI has decided to join in on the drinks package option since the Cheers program has become so popular and their decision was to limit it to only 7+ day sailings. At least on Carnival there are 5 and 6 day sailings that offer the program.

If sailing on a ship that offers a drink package is that important to you, then just pick one of the newer, larger ships that offers it. If you can only sail on a 4 or 5 day sailing that has a drinks package, then pick another cruise line like Celebrity that offers it on shorter itineraries.

It is available on the 14 newer and larger ships in the fleet that primarily cruise for 6+ days. There are some exceptions, but the 9 older ships that do the 3-5 day sailings do not and probably will not have the program. Carnival wants to make money on the program, which it obviously does and at the same time it wants to steer away from its "party ship" reputation. Having the Cheers package as an option on the shorter sailings would add fuel to that fire that the PR department certainly does not need since the Concordia disaster and the other mechanical issues on a few of their ships over the past few years.

RCI has decided to join in on the drinks package option since the Cheers program has become so popular and their decision was to limit it to only 7+ day sailings. At least on Carnival there are 5 and 6 day sailings that offer the program.

If sailing on a ship that offers a drink package is that important to you, then just pick one of the newer, larger ships that offers it. If you can only sail on a 4 or 5 day sailing that has a drinks package, then pick another cruise line like Celebrity that offers it on shorter itineraries.

That's inaccurate about Royal Caribbean. They offer it on all sailings 4 days and longer. Just FYI.

We normally purchase the wine package in the dining room as well as having pre-ordered bottles for the cabin, can you still purchase the Cheers programs in addition to these? Or will they only allow one or the other?

That's inaccurate about Royal Caribbean. They offer it on all sailings 4 days and longer. Just FYI.

I stand corrected.....their policy must have recently changed becuase it was originally only available on 7+ sailings and people were complaining about it on shorter cruises like the Majesty of the Seas.

We normally purchase the wine package in the dining room as well as having pre-ordered bottles for the cabin, can you still purchase the Cheers programs in addition to these? Or will they only allow one or the other?

It has been reported on the boards that the Bon Voyage program is now limited to two bottles (mostly 1 liter) per stateroom. You can still bring on one 750ml bottle of wine per person. If you purchase the Cheers program, you can still purchase bottle of wine, I believe at a 25% discount.

Edited by SNJCruisers

You could in theory but it would be a bit of a waste. With cheers you can get wine by the glass with the program and if you absolutely must have a bottle you can purchase one with (I believe) a 25% discount.