The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

Johnnie Walker Black is available at any bar for 7.50 and Corona's are 4.95, so they are both included in the Cheers program. I believe that Ginger Ale is hit or miss. The Red Frog Pub on the Breeze had Ginger Beer, which is a derivative of Ginger Ale. I would play it safe and bring a 12 pack on board and of course you can always get a 12 pack in a port of call as well. They usually have Ginger Ale, Club Soda and Tonic Water in any place that sells liquor.

I've always been able to get ginger ale on Carnival at any bar. They have it in cans like any soda.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I didn't read all the posts. So i don't know if it's been mentioned, But if you buy embarkation day, you have to pay tax so it's $90 tax on a seven-day cruise. If You wait untill the next day you don't have to pay for first day or the $90 tax saves over $145 on each person.

If there Are multiple people in your state room over age 21 every person in the room has to buy the program!!!

We just got off if Conquest, they give you a rules card now, but this isn't mentioned! Even when buying it the tax information isn't mentioned!! But I assure you, it's true!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk!!

Great info, thanks for sharing.

I didn't read all the posts. So i don't know if it's been mentioned, But if you buy embarkation day, you have to pay tax so it's $90 tax on a seven-day cruise. If You wait untill the next day you don't have to pay for first day or the $90 tax saves over $145 on each person.

If there Are multiple people in your state room over age 21 every person in the room has to buy the program!!!

We just got off if Conquest, they give you a rules card now, but this isn't mentioned! Even when buying it the tax information isn't mentioned!! But I assure you, it's true!

First I have heard of this.....anyone else confirm? is this because of Louisiana Liquor laws?????

The lady in front of us told us, when in line to buy on embarkation day. So we bought it on the first day at sea, and did not pay tax, and did not pay the fee for the program for embarkation day.

Other people found out & were upset they hadn't been informed. I'm not sure how the nice lady knew! But I'm sure glad she told us!!

I know you pay tax on only the drinks you buy while in port but haven't heard of the whole program being taxed....

That's what you get for listening to a woman in line who does not know what she is talking about. The charge is 42.95 per person plus 15% tip. The only tax paid is on a per drink basis until the ship hits international waters, which is about 90 minutes after embarkation.

The only time that you pay sales tax on a program upfront while still in the embarkation port is on the bottomless bubbles program, which is what the woman standing in line must have been referring to.

You do not get 25% off a bucket of beer, correct?

You can't get buckets of beer with the Cheers Program.

You just order them one at a time, 5 minutes apart, and then you have used up 5 out of your 15 drinks for the day. You'll then have 4 beers to drink then or later, I say this because you'll probably drink 1 of them during the 20 minutes it takes to get the 5 beers. :)

You do not get 25% off a bucket of beer, correct?

Hmmm...good question. Someone should call Carnival and ask and then post their reply. :D

It would be cool to be able to buy a round for friends at 25% off.

I don't think these have been asked yet...

I know the Cheers program does not cover buckets of beer.

Having said that, If you have "Cheers", can you buy a bucket at the regular price? And, if so, do those beers count toward your 15 drink limit?

I know that you get a discount on bottles of wine with "Cheers".

How does a bottle of wine affect the 15 drink limit?

I really do not anticipate the 15 drink limit being an issue for us, but I'm curious how they would address these types of purchases. I wil be sailing on one of the ships where past guests have reported that you cannot purchase any drinks after the 15 limit if you have "Cheers".

I don't think these have been asked yet...

I know the Cheers program does not cover buckets of beer.

Having said that, If you have "Cheers", can you buy a bucket at the regular price? And, if so, do those beers count toward your 15 drink limit?If you're buying a bucket for friends, it does not count towards your 15 and you'll pay full regular price plus 15%. It has been reported on these boards that some ships allow you to purchase for others and some do not. If the 5 beers in the bucket are for your own consumption, you can order them 1 at a time in 5 minute increments for yourself and then they would count towards your 15, and you can get them with the bottle caps left on if so desired.

I know that you get a discount on bottles of wine with "Cheers".

How does a bottle of wine affect the 15 drink limit?It does not

I really do not anticipate the 15 drink limit being an issue for us, but I'm curious how they would address these types of purchases. I wil be sailing on one of the ships where past guests have reported that you cannot purchase any drinks after the 15 limit if you have "Cheers".

Read bold

Ok, so I usually like to order the drink of the day in the souvenier glass, or at least the first one for the day. My understanding is that those would be just 25% off? I'm wondering if the cheers program would still be worth it by the time I pay for one of these a day on top of the program cost?

Ok, so I usually like to order the drink of the day in the souvenier glass, or at least the first one for the day. My understanding is that those would be just 25% off? I'm wondering if the cheers program would still be worth it by the time I pay for one of these a day on top of the program cost?

I think you are right. We're going on the Miracle later this year and are planning on doing the Cheers program. My understanding is that you could get the DoD in a regular glass though since that would fit under the price limit. Maybe someone who has been on a ship w/Cheers can comment.

On the Freedom last month, they didn't offer the DOD's in souvenier glasses at all. Later in the week you could buy the Disco Ball, Coconut face thing and a tall swirly looking glass, but there weren't any of the hurricane type cups :(.

But I had Cheers and LOVED it! No problems and will do it again in October :).

We bought within 2 minutes of getting on the Freedom...literally walked to the lobby bar and signed up. We did not pay tax on the pkg. We paid tax (like .40 or something) on the 2 drinks we each bought while still in Ft. Lauderdale. And yes, we did get charged for the program for embarkation day but we got our monies worth :). If we had waited until the first sea day, we would probably have had a larger S&S bill for day one.

So, not sure why you were taxed on the entire program but I assure you...we weren't.

Forgive me for asking this again... I know it's been discussed before... but I keep reading contradicting things about purchasing Cheers on the 2nd day. This is what I "think" is the consensus. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

If I purchase Cheers on the 2nd day of a 7 day cruise, I will get charged for 6 days. Any alcohol purchased on Day 1 will remain on my S&S at full prices.

Is that true?

Also, one more question I haven't seen the answer to yet - if DH orders a beer, can he get the can UNOPENED so we can take it back to the room and keep in the fridge?

TIA

Forgive me for asking this again... I know it's been discussed before... but I keep reading contradicting things about purchasing Cheers on the 2nd day. This is what I "think" is the consensus. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

If I purchase Cheers on the 2nd day of a 7 day cruise, I will get charged for 6 days. Any alcohol purchased on Day 1 will remain on my S&S at full prices.

Is that true?

That's how it was for us on the Dream a few weeks ago. Paid a little under $600 for both of us on the second day of the trip. I think most of the people who have said otherwise were using Cheers when it was still in more of a trial phase. Could be wrong about that though...only know our experience with it!

That's how it was for us on the Dream a few weeks ago. Paid a little under $600 for both of us on the second day of the trip. I think most of the people who have said otherwise were using Cheers when it was still in more of a trial phase. Could be wrong about that though...only know our experience with it!

We'll be on the Conquest, BTW. Thank you! So many changes with the program - real life experience usually matters more than the "rules" :) .

We'll be on the Conquest, BTW. Thank you! So many changes with the program - real life experience usually matters more than the "rules" :) .

no problem! Hope it works the same way for you! We enjoyed our bottles of wine that we carried on and one or 2 dods on the first day (way less than the $100 we would have spent on cheers) then thoroughly enjoyed the program the rest of the week! Have fun!

Is that true? Yes

Also, one more question I haven't seen the answer to yet - if DH orders a beer, can he get the can UNOPENED so we can take it back to the room and keep in the fridge? Yes

TIA

Read bold