The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

Pardon me, but I'm too lazy to read through the earlier pages of this thread to possibly find my answer.:o But in one of these Cheers threads I read about people who had purchased the program and since everyone was in the same room they charged the main person on the room for everyone's program, even though they all had their own S&S accounts. Is that really what happens? :confused:

It is what should happen. But if you get an awesome bartender like I did he split it so I paid my portion and my husband paid his

Pardon me, but I'm too lazy to read through the earlier pages of this thread to possibly find my answer.:o But in one of these Cheers threads I read about people who had purchased the program and since everyone was in the same room they charged the main person on the room for everyone's program, even though they all had their own S&S accounts. Is that really what happens? :confused:
It is what should happen. But if you get an awesome bartender like I did he split it so I paid my portion and my husband paid his

Agreed... the bartender is in control. . . Please ask him to split the costs... he will roll his eyes, and do as you ask.:rolleyes:

It's been said what you do is add the amount of cash for the days you are buying the package to your S&S account.. THEN AFTER THEY CHARGE YOUR ROOM FOR THE PROGRAM.. you add your individual CC to your S&S account. That is the way I understood it.

What a great thread. We did the Dream in Jan and broke even with the program. We only had one Sea Day where we were even close to the limit.

Here is my question. I saw the post about getting extra keys but I was wondering...we are cruising with another couple and the guys will definately get their money out of the program. Can you go to guest services and have the room situation straightened out after buying the program?

If you drink mixed drinks, how about trying 15 Long Island Iced Teas, or if you're a beer drinker, how about 15 Foster's Oil Cans? Either way, if would be a difficult challenge to drink them all and then you would not need to consume more than what the program allows. If you really need to consume more than 15, why not sail on Celebrity, whose drink program is unlimited?

If has been reported both ways on the boards with regards to being able to purchase any more drinks after the 15 limit. Some people have been able to, while others have been cut off, while others were able to finagle drinks using their partners card.

Thanks for your advice, but I'm not interested in sailing on celebrity or consuming 15 Long Island ice teas. I was asking a specific question related to this thread and the cheers program. :)

Thanks for your advice, but I'm not interested in sailing on celebrity or consuming 15 Long Island ice teas. I was asking a specific question related to this thread and the cheers program. :)

Your question basically implied that 15 drinks per day were not enough, so I was just giving you 2 alternatives, that's all. By the way, my answer was related to this thread as well. If you're that concerned about consuming more than 15 drinks, the Oil Cans and the LI Teas are the best bang for your buck within the parameters of the program. If you don't want to cruise on Celebrity, that is your prerogative, many cruisers have blinders on with respect to cruise lines and they're not aware of what other cruise lines offer. You can always go to an all inclusive, where you don't get cut off after 15 drinks.

The second paragraph of my original response to your post gave you the specific answer you were looking for. Enjoy your cruise on the Glory.

Your question basically implied that 15 drinks per day were not enough, so I was just giving you 2 alternatives, that's all. By the way, my answer was related to this thread as well. If you're that concerned about consuming more than 15 drinks, the Oil Cans and the LI Teas are the best bang for your buck within the parameters of the program. If you don't want to cruise on Celebrity, that is your prerogative, many cruisers have blinders on with respect to cruise lines and they're not aware of what other cruise lines offer. You can always go to an all inclusive, where you don't get cut off after 15 drinks.

The second paragraph of my original response to your post gave you the specific answer you were looking for. Enjoy your cruise on the Glory.

Nope. I didn't imply anything, just asked a question. Thank you for your pointers.

And for the record, I recently took a cruise on RCCL, which was all inclusive through a special program. I was asking about carnivals program because its been spotty- one day it's all inclusive, the next there's a limit, one ship you can buy drinks if you want, the other you can't. I'm quite certain I didn't reach 15 drinks in a day on on the all inclusive cruise, but I didn't have to think about it. I'm just looking for clarification on the glory. :)

I was so excited when I first learned that Carnival was going to be trying out this program, but to be honest, I'm a little scared to try it :confused: The last thing I want is to be cut off middle of the day because I hit my fifteen drinks and they won't let me purchase any more at regular price. I have read all the posts and I understand some people have been allowed to continue purchasing while others have not. Not to sound like a complete boozer, but I drink Rum and cokes and they are not very big, and I can down quite a few of those in a short time and still walk a straight line. Not to mention a couple of momosas with breakfast and I could hit my fifteen pretty quick! I love my Carnival Cruises but they really need to get this sorted out. Whether or not to serve above the fifteen drinks should be at the discretion of the bartender, if someone can barely keep their head then I understand not serving them, but if your quietly having a good time and enjoying your drinks I don't understand why not just keep serving them and make some more money :)

Not a big drinker, but tried the Cheers program on the recent 3/2/13 Victory. It was awesome! I was with my son (26) and a daughter (19). Son and I purchased the program on embarkation day, at a table on the Lido Deck. The Carnival guy wanted to put the purchases all on one card, but I just said "no". We each had our S&S cards linked to our individual credit cards, and he did two separate transactions with no problem.

I don't think I got too close to the 15 drinks during any day, but I sure had a lot of fun trying out different drinks that I normally wouldn't have purchased.

If you are ever on the Victory, the Alchemy Bar and staff is awesome!

I figure that with most of the drinks about $7-8, I broke even by drink number 6.

I was so excited when I first learned that Carnival was going to be trying out this program, but to be honest, I'm a little scared to try it :confused: The last thing I want is to be cut off middle of the day because I hit my fifteen drinks and they won't let me purchase any more at regular price. I have read all the posts and I understand some people have been allowed to continue purchasing while others have not. Not to sound like a complete boozer, but I drink Rum and cokes and they are not very big, and I can down quite a few of those in a short time and still walk a straight line. Not to mention a couple of momosas with breakfast and I could hit my fifteen pretty quick! I love my Carnival Cruises but they really need to get this sorted out. Whether or not to serve above the fifteen drinks should be at the discretion of the bartender, if someone can barely keep their head then I understand not serving them, but if your quietly having a good time and enjoying your drinks I don't understand why not just keep serving them and make some more money :)

You do have options....many people decide to try different drinks that they would not normally try when they purchase the program. There are many drinks that are large and very strong, like Long Island Teas and depending on the ship, different variations thereof that are similar in strength. There are also many different martini's that are very strong and there are variations that do not contain gin and vodka.

Another option outside of the box for you is to look at other cruise lines. Celebrity was the line that started the all inclusive option and they are going to be bringing back a promotion starting on 3/15 for 1 month which gives you their classic alcoholic package for free with any OV or higher cabin booked for any cruise between now and March of 2014.

Of course, if you're locked into rum and cokes only and you wish to stay on Carnival, you can always just buy a la carte. Good luck with your decision.

I have skimmed over this thread and am still a little confused regarding beer. Can you get it by the bottle or only by draft? DH is worried that if it is only draft in a plastic cup, it will get warm very quickly under the hot sun. :eek:

I have skimmed over this thread and am still a little confused regarding beer. Can you get it by the bottle or only by draft? DH is worried that if it is only draft in a plastic cup, it will get warm very quickly under the hot sun. :eek:

The way I understand it, you can get either as long as they're under $10. I drink bud light lime which I know they don't have on draft. :)

QUESTION: Can I get drinks for me and my cabin mate from the bar at the same time?

A: NO, Everyone must get their own drink so they can tell if one person is too drunk, and needs to be cut off. (carnival's answer)

I didn't read the whole thread, but I thought I would add that I sailed on the Dream in January and did the program with the wife. I tried to order two drinks to take up to the room while getting ready for dinner. They said I had to wait 5 minutes. However- they allowed me after that to take both cards and get two drinks that way.

I am just off of the Legend and did the cheers program. Bottom line "LOVED IT".

While I am a big drinker, my wife is not, yet she found that even she drank more under the program than she would have.

Some quick answers to confusing aspects of the program.

1. The do tell you that the program is good for up to 15 drinks. If you are too drunk after 7, you will be cut off. If you manage to get 15 in, you will be charged regular price for drinks.

2. Most bottles were served open and all cans served closed. If yo wanted closed bottles, they would as well.

3. I was able to go to the bar and order for both my wife and I many times. Both do not need to be there.

4. I was even able to order a single drink on my wives card, no issue.

5. We never noticed a lack of service by the bartenders, actually, they got to know us pretty well, since we were usually around a bar while on ship.

I would say, that the cheers program was one of the best aspects of the cruise we just went on. we drank more than we ever had before on Carnival, but not to excess.

Oh and to anyone who feels that 15 is not enough, just buy Makers Mark Manhattans. Each drink is 3, 1oz shots of the 94 proof bourbon. That works out to over 1.5 bottles of booze. Good luck with that.

-F-

Has anyone been on the Glory lately and done cheers? Just wondering if they allow you to buy drinks after the 15 drink limit. Thanks!

I was on the Glory 2 weeks ago, and I didn't get to the limit, I was close one day, and they told me I was at 14 or something. I didn't try to go over, so I don't know if they would charge or not. I did see some people get shut off, but I don't know if it was because they were drunk or at their limit.

You do have options....many people decide to try different drinks that they would not normally try when they purchase the program. There are many drinks that are large and very strong, like Long Island Teas and depending on the ship, different variations thereof that are similar in strength. There are also many different martini's that are very strong and there are variations that do not contain gin and vodka.

Another option outside of the box for you is to look at other cruise lines. Celebrity was the line that started the all inclusive option and they are going to be bringing back a promotion starting on 3/15 for 1 month which gives you their classic alcoholic package for free with any OV or higher cabin booked for any cruise between now and March of 2014.

Of course, if you're locked into rum and cokes only and you wish to stay on Carnival, you can always just buy a la carte. Good luck with your decision.

Wow! That is quite a promotion by Celebrity! How did you hear of it? Any idea if you can pay the difference from the Classic package to upgrade to Premium? This would get me to try Celebrity...

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Wow! That is quite a promotion by Celebrity! How did you hear of it? Any idea if you can pay the difference from the Classic package to upgrade to Premium? This would get me to try Celebrity...

Yes....you can pay the 10.00, plus 1.50 tip and upgrade from the Classic to the Premium. With their package, you get any drink that is valued up to 12 bucks and if there is a higher priced micro beer, all you need to do is pay the difference, plus 15%. This is only true if you upgrade to the Premium package, if you stick with the Classic, all beer up to 5 and all mixed drinks & shots up to 8 are covered. If you want something higher priced, you pay the entire amount, so it's worth it to upgrade. You also get soda, fresh squeezed juice, Red Bull, bottled water including Evian and San Pellegrino, and all specialty coffees. The promotion was in effect at the beginning of the year and because of it, we booked a repositioning cruise from NJ to San Juan in October. Because of the popularity, they were swamped with reservations and they have decided to re open the promotion for bookings from March 15-April 15. It is good on all of their ships for sailings through March of 2014. You can get a 5 day sailing on the Constellation for about 700-800 total, which would include an OV cabin, all taxes and fees, gratuities and the upgrade to the Premium alcohol package.

Thank You for the additional info SNJ! I might be able to cruise next winter after all!

You're quite welcome....just to let you know, you need to book an OV or higher cabin to get the promotion and after tweaking the numbers, you can get that Constellation cruise for about 670 all inclusive and that would include sailings in Jan, Feb and March.

You're quite welcome....just to let you know, you need to book an OV or higher cabin to get the promotion and after tweaking the numbers, you can get that Constellation cruise for about 670 all inclusive and that would include sailings in Jan, Feb and March.

Since we travel from WI when we do cruise we like to get a balcony anyway. I have my eye on a Silhouette eastern cruise out of FLL and the price isn't all that much more than Carnival without the perk of the beverage program. Easy, cheaper flight for us, good ports but with only 3 port days upgrading to premium beverage program is perfect. Just the ticket to try out a new line! Such unexpected info to find here. Really appreciate it!

Since we travel from WI when we do cruise we like to get a balcony anyway. I have my eye on a Silhouette eastern cruise out of FLL and the price isn't all that much more than Carnival without the perk of the beverage program. Easy, cheaper flight for us, good ports but with only 3 port days upgrading to premium beverage program is perfect. Just the ticket to try out a new line! Such unexpected info to find here. Really appreciate it!

Just "paying it forward". I took 1 cruise on X about 20 years ago and of course things were much different then, but their food was great. Looking forward to our cruise in October and the upgraded drink package will make it that much better. We did the Cheers program on the Breeze in January and it was great, so the expanded version on the Summit should be that much better.

Since the Silhouette is a S Class ship, it will have all of the bells and whistles including the Molecular Bar. In case you don't know, it's basically a modernized Martini Bar that incorporates and infuses different off the wall ingredients into the drinks. Just about all of the drinks there are 12 bucks, so they are all included in the Premium package.

Glad that you were able to find out about this great perk.

I had the premium package on our X cruise in 2011. It was great. Loved having premium water and fresh juice every morning. At dinner including specialty restaurants my wife's drinks were put on my card. Great martini's. well worth the cost.