The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

The best thing since sliced cheese was the 123 Go Promotion on Celebrity, where their classic alcoholic drinks package, was included for FREE during three different promotional periods over the past few months. And there is no 15 drink limit with their program either. :)

I'm a loyal Platinum Carnival cruiser and we thoroughly enjoyed the Cheers program in January on the Breeze, but the 123 promo has swung us to enjoy our next two cruises on X.

Totally agree!!! Thanks again for bringing it up it here. Because of your mention I now have a cruise booked on Celebrity in January at a great price with an upscale beverage program included. I've had open bar cards on Carnival due to being part of a large group, but coffees and fresh squeezed OJ were not included. (However, those open bar cards were unlimited).

Comparing the Celebrity package to the Carnival package is not even close. Even if the package is more on Celebrity at least it is truly AI. I don't know the Cheers program is worth it with all the restrictions. I think I may aim for Carnival for port intensive cruises with no beverage program and Celebrity itineraries with more relaxing sea days and purchase the beverage program. Once we add in all the costs of getting to a cruise a few hundred extra dollars can be planned for. We probably have to cut back to a cruise only every other year or so anyway, so will spend more when we get to go.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Edited by MyDogRudy

My wife and I purchased the Cheers program on our recent 8 day Carnival Freedom cruise. It included four ports of call. I tried to save all my receipts and have calculated out that we more than covered the cost of the program!!!!! We are festive folks and certainly don't have "a problem" but enjoy unwinding while on vacation. I did a spreadsheet and the cheers program paid for itself each day- except for Tuesday our first port day after three straight sea days. We were off the ship before bar service began (or else I would have had a bloody mary).

So for us the program was a winner- one that we'll do again from now on. I loved that I didn't have to worry what my bar tab was going to be. While I understand it's not for everyone- I wanted to offer evidence that you can drink responsibly and still make economic sense of the Cheers program!

"Festive folks"...I love that term, lol.

Gosh I can't wait to indulge. I was really worried about how I was going to set a budget for alcohol.

My husband and I got Cheers last week and we can both drink. I added our receipts and we did NOT end up drinking the amount we paid (despite hitting close to 15 Twilight Zones each one day at $7.25 per drink ... ) We had two port days where we were off the ship from 7am-5pm and 11am-7pm)

We mostly had those TZs, but also Bud Limes, Crown and Gingers, Malibu and Diets, Red's Remedys, Mango Swirls and then tried a ton of other drinks ... we would not get the program again. It was nice not to worry about what we were spending, but especially with tipping beyond what's included with the program, we didn't feel it was worth it financially. We drank more BECAUSE of it, we would have saved money had we paid out of pocket and just drank "normally"

I think this is where I have landed. We will drink what we want, when we want and I am certain it will be under the amount Cheers will cost us.

Totally agree!!! Thanks again for bringing it up it here. Because of your mention I now have a cruise booked on Celebrity in January at a great price with an upscale beverage program included. I've had open bar cards on Carnival due to being part of a large group, but coffees and fresh squeezed OJ were not included. (However, those open bar cards were unlimited).

Comparing the Celebrity package to the Carnival package is not even close. Even if the package is more on Celebrity at least it is truly AI. I don't know the Cheers program is worth it with all the restrictions. I think I may aim for Carnival for port intensive cruises with no beverage program and Celebrity itineraries with more relaxing sea days and purchase the beverage program. Once we add in all the costs of getting to a cruise a few hundred extra dollars can be planned for. We probably have to cut back to a cruise only every other year or so anyway, so will spend more when we get to go.

I see that you decided to cruise on the Silhouette in January. We'll be on her at the end of the 123 promotion next March. With the Martini Bar, Michael's Pub with 50 beers and the Molecular Bar, we will certainly have an abundance of choices with high end drinks that Carnival could not come close to having and we will not be limited to only 15 per day. And of course Celebrity's version includes all of the espresso drinks, San Pellegrino and Evian, Red Bull and fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit juice as well. The best thing is that it'll only cost us the upgrade from the Classic to the Premium package @ 11.50 per day.

It's really a shame that so many people are only loyal to Carnival or RCI or NCL. They need to take the blinders off and see for themselves what is out there promotion wise and take full advantage of it. I'm glad that you saw my original posting about the great 123 promotion and decided to book your next cruise on X. The Silhouette is a great looking ship and there are some great threads over on their boards about it that you should check out. Just remember not to drink any of the liquid nitrogen before it evaporates off the top of your drink at the Molecular Bar. ;)

There is no souvenir cup. :(

No souvenir cup or glass? I've never sailed Carnival so I just assumed all cruiselines had them. Do they have drinks of the day and are they included in the Cheers program?

Edited by Jenner9

I see that you decided to cruise on the Silhouette in January. We'll be on her at the end of the 123 promotion next March. With the Martini Bar, Michael's Pub with 50 beers and the Molecular Bar, we will certainly have an abundance of choices with high end drinks that Carnival could not come close to having and we will not be limited to only 15 per day. And of course Celebrity's version includes all of the espresso drinks, San Pellegrino and Evian, Red Bull and fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit juice as well. The best thing is that it'll only cost us the upgrade from the Classic to the Premium package @ 11.50 per day.

It's really a shame that so many people are only loyal to Carnival or RCI or NCL. They need to take the blinders off and see for themselves what is out there promotion wise and take full advantage of it. I'm glad that you saw my original posting about the great 123 promotion and decided to book your next cruise on X. The Silhouette is a great looking ship and there are some great threads over on their boards about it that you should check out. Just remember not to drink any of the liquid nitrogen before it evaporates off the top of your drink at the Molecular Bar. ;)

I would GLADLY cruise on Celebrity if they did the caribbean in the summer. We have very limited choices CCL or RC out of Florida. Thank goodness Princess is coming next summer.

No souvenir cup or glass? I've never sailed Carnival so I just assumed all cruiselines had them. Do they have drinks of the day and are they included in the Cheers program?

Carnival used to sell DOD in souvenir glasses, now it is in a regular glass and sometimes they will upsell you to a novelty glass (monkey head, funnel cup, etc).

Bottom line DOD is included in the program.

Interestingly on our recent 8 day Carnival Freedom cruise- no novelty glasses all week. They had the battery operated light up shot glasses as the deck party late one night- but as far as daily lido deck bar service- no novelty cups all week. We've long since stopped buying them- but I did miss seeing everyone else get excited about them.

It would be really great if Carnival would actually provide an update on this program. I have five short cruises booked before the end of the year to make Platinum and would like to know if Cheers will ever make it to the shorter cruises.

It would be really great if Carnival would actually provide an update on this program. I have five short cruises booked before the end of the year to make Platinum and would like to know if Cheers will ever make it to the shorter cruises.

I totally agree. I wish they would make some kind of announcement about it

We had also booked our first Celebrity cruise this year because of the Go promotions. 5 days with gratuities, all taxes and port with a AI drink package for $660 in a balcony. Happy Sailing to us!!

I would GLADLY cruise on Celebrity if they did the caribbean in the summer. We have very limited choices CCL or RC out of Florida. Thank goodness Princess is coming next summer.

That is very frustrating, but if it's because of your children's school schedule, you could always cruise over Thanksgiving, Christmas or Spring Break.

RCI started their version of the program only on 7+ day sailings and have since expanded it to include all sailings of 4+ days. Maybe Carnival will follow suit.

They can't even announce ship schedules in a timely manner let alone what ships are and are not getting the Faster to the Drunk program.

We had also booked our first Celebrity cruise this year because of the Go promotions. 5 days with gratuities, all taxes and port with a AI drink package for $660 in a balcony. Happy Sailing to us!!

Sandi.....congrats on having the blinders off and enjoy your cruise on the recently Solsticized Constellation. Enjoy your first X cruise and if you're looking for a great beach day in Cozumel, do some research about Nachi Cocum, really relaxing. And of course you have the option to upgrade to the Premium package at any time for only an extra 11.50 per day. Well worth it if you like the high end drinks at the ice-topped Martini Bar, fancier coffee drinks & waters, and fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit juice. :)

Cheers to us!! Great deal!

Very excited for the beautiful Silhouette and the premium drinks. I read the reviews by Gambee and Bugsy and can't wait!

Interestingly on our recent 8 day Carnival Freedom cruise- no novelty glasses all week. They had the battery operated light up shot glasses as the deck party late one night- but as far as daily lido deck bar service- no novelty cups all week. We've long since stopped buying them- but I did miss seeing everyone else get excited about them.

Do you know on your 8 day cruise if you could buy the Cheers Program on the first day or did you have to wait till the next day? I read on another thread someone had to wait till day 2 to buy the Cheers Program on an 8 day. I am happy to hear it includes DOD. I love to try them.

So, I have a question and I'm not sure anyone here can answer it, considering I've called Carnival a few times and every time I've gotten a different answer. I'm sailing on the Carnival Splendor that starts on May 17th, I'm going with my sister and her boyfriend (24 & 26) and my parents. We are all interested in getting the Cheers! bar package, however, my 21st birthday is May 19th. Which means, I couldn't purchase the package until the 3rd day, which I know is normally against the rules. But, they also say everyone in the room over 21 must purchase it, so if I can't purchase it, would it affect my sister and her boyfriend to purchase it? (I'm staying in the same room as them.) If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!

So, I have a question and I'm not sure anyone here can answer it, considering I've called Carnival a few times and every time I've gotten a different answer. I'm sailing on the Carnival Splendor that starts on May 17th, I'm going with my sister and her boyfriend (24 & 26) and my parents. We are all interested in getting the Cheers! bar package, however, my 21st birthday is May 19th. Which means, I couldn't purchase the package until the 3rd day, which I know is normally against the rules. But, they also say everyone in the room over 21 must purchase it, so if I can't purchase it, would it affect my sister and her boyfriend to purchase it? (I'm staying in the same room as them.) If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!

Generally, Carnival considers your age the age you were when you board so they should have no problem purchasing the program.

You may want to go to the Carnival Facebook page and ask your question there. Mary or Mischelle should be able to give you the definitive answer.

Anyone know if the Cheers program is going to be available on the 12 Baltic Cruises this summer out of Dover?

Not sure that I would get my money out of it, but just wanted to know if we had the option..

thanks