The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

Cheers back up to $49.50 per day all sailings. :(
Here's the link on the website for proof.....

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=cheers

I am hoping and praying that it reverts back to where it was in the next 3 months before our Freedom sailing. Otherwise it's another 220.80 out of our pocket based on the 12 per person per day increase plus 15% for our 8 day sailing. It's a 32% increase going from 37.50 to 49.50 per day. This would leave a very bad taste in my mouth and reinforce the feeling to kick Carnival to the curb for my vacation dollar.

Cheers back up to $49.50 per day all sailings. :(

Well that takes care of me debating about getting it on our next cruise -:(

We probably just about broke even, so it's a no brainer with the higher cost - but it sure was nice not worrying about the cost of drinks for one cruise :o

Jane

Ok, Just off the Carnival Fantasy with the Cheers program.... I am a beer drinker and the wife will drink 2-3 per day.... I did not factor that the beers are 1.5 the size of a normal can in the states.... 15 per day is possible but 22 is unusual.... The closest I got was the sea days and that was twelve.... So I lost on this cruise, but I had a six pack in a cooler as backup.... Do not carry a rum runner in your carryon... they will find it.... doc

Ok, Just off the Carnival Fantasy with the Cheers program.... I am a beer drinker and the wife will drink 2-3 per day.... I did not factor that the beers are 1.5 the size of a normal can in the states.... 15 per day is possible but 22 is unusual.... The closest I got was the sea days and that was twelve.... So I lost on this cruise, but I had a six pack in a cooler as backup.... Do not carry a rum runner in your carryon... they will find it.... doc

Rumrunners are exclusively for CHECKED baggage.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, has anyone been on a ship lately and purchased cheers program on day 2? it seems under prior versions this was available and charged for one day less. I've scoured cruisecritic and funville and can't seem to find a current answer.

In short, can you buy on day 2 of a 4 day cruise and pay for 3 days? or must you purchase on day 1 (or pay for all 4 days anyway).

Thanks in advance!

We just got back from our cruise and did the Cheers Program. For us, the cost was worth it on sea days, but not port days, as we never got to the break-even point. The other thing we noticed was the service..... it seemed like once the deck servers and lounge services realized we were Cheers, that they never came back around.... as compared to cruises when we did not have Cheers. The overall service this cruise as very slow....... we ended up just walking to get our drinks, as it was much faster. We will not do Cheers again.

When you buy the cheers program the wait staff are getting next to nothing on tips. We always tip on top of the cheers program and have great service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Isn't there a 15% gratuity added to the Cheers program when it is purchased? Individually ordered drinks also have a 15% gratuity added as well, don't they? :confused:

They add the 15% to the 49.95 a day but that is not much spread out per drink. They do not add any gratuity to the individual drinks. We just add a buck here and there to our favorite bar staff. They take good care of us:)

The 15% per day is less than $8 per day. That's a very small tip per drink. And we usually tip 20% if we have good service anyways;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If u r a solo traveller in a cabin, is it the same price?
Yes, it's 49.95 + 15% gratuity for each person in a cabin that is 21 and over, whether there are 1,2,3 or 4 occupants in that cabin.

If you purchase a $12 glass of wine are you paying $12 or $2 if you have the Cheers program? The small print seems to indicate a $12 glass of wine would only be covered 25%.
That is correct, anything over 10.00 comes in at a 25% discount.

If you purchase a $12 glass of wine are you paying $12 or $2 if you have the Cheers program? The small print seems to indicate a $12 glass of wine would only be covered 25%.

If you purchase a $12 glass of wine with cheers it will cost you $9

What I'm not sure of is it $9 plus tip or just $9

We just got back from our cruise and did the Cheers Program. For us, the cost was worth it on sea days, but not port days, as we never got to the break-even point. The other thing we noticed was the service..... it seemed like once the deck servers and lounge services realized we were Cheers, that they never came back around.... as compared to cruises when we did not have Cheers. The overall service this cruise as very slow....... we ended up just walking to get our drinks, as it was much faster. We will not do Cheers again.

I never even though of this. We have 2 excursions while on the ship. Both last all day. No ways I'm buying cheers now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never even though of this. We have 2 excursions while on the ship. Both last all day. No ways I'm buying cheers now

No, your excursions do not last all day. A day is 24 hours long and your excursion at the most will go from 9-5. If you're back on board by 5 and you crash at 12, that still gives you 7 hours to drink. All you need to do is consume 1 drink per hour averaging 7.25 and you're even. If you consume upgraded drinks at the Alchemy bar, you only need to consume 5. If you like beers and shots, 4 of each and you're good to go. You could also stay up till 2 or 3 and that gives you even more time to drink, but I'll assume you'll crash by 12 if you were out and about and tired from your excursion.

It's the same assumption some people make about not wanting to get Cheers right away because they "miss 1/2 a day" when they board. When in reality, if you board right away by noontime, you miss the morning so you don't have your mimosa, bloody mary or bellini with breakfast. Under this scenario, you have 12+ hours for the Cheers program.

This is food for thought and just explaining that you need to take a step back and look at things from a logical perspective.

Edited by SNJCruisers

No, your excursions do not last all day. A day is 24 hours long and your excursion at the most will go from 9-5. If you're back on board by 5 and you crash at 12, that still gives you 7 hours to drink. All you need to do is consume 1 drink per hour averaging 7.25 and you're even. If you consume upgraded drinks at the Alchemy bar, you only need to consume 5. If you like beers and shots, 4 of each and you're good to go. You could also stay up till 2 or 3 and that gives you even more time to drink, but I'll assume you'll crash by 12 if you were out and about and tired from your excursion.

It's the same assumption some people make about not wanting to get Cheers right away because they "miss 1/2 a day" when they board. When in reality, if you board right away by noontime, you miss the morning so you don't have your mimosa, bloody mary or bellini with breakfast. Under this scenario, you have 12+ hours for the Cheers program.

This is food for thought and just explaining that you need to take a step back and look at things from a logical perspective.

I guess I just can't imagine spending $500+ on alcohol. Maybe I'm trying to justify it.

I guess I just can't imagine spending $500+ on alcohol. Maybe I'm trying to justify it.

I did Cheers when it was $39.95 per day and I had a hard time trying to break even at that price. I was on an 8 day and to be perfectly honest, by about the fourth day I was tired of drinking so much, but I continued to order drinks just to try to break even, and I got to try drinks that I otherwise wouldn't have bought. If I hadn't purchased Cheers I know I wouldn't have spent even close to what I paid in total for Cheers. For me, it wasn't worth it and I wouldn't do it again. I guess it just depends how much you actually drink. For a light to moderate drinker, I don't think it's worth it.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm at work and could only do a cursory look through this thread for my answers.

If paying for Cheers with a cash account, 6 day cruise = ~$350.00, how much above that do I need to deposit? An additional $200 (6 day suggested deposit) or any amount above $350?

If I am splitting people up so 2 out of 5 can get Cheers, can we go to Guest Services once it has been purchased and get new S&S cards with the correct rooms for sleeping? Or will they then require everyone else to get Cheers? Should we just get extra room keys instead of switching rooms?

Sorry, I'm at work and could only do a cursory look through this thread for my answers.

If paying for Cheers with a cash account, 6 day cruise = ~$350.00, how much above that do I need to deposit? An additional $200 (6 day suggested deposit) or any amount above $350?

If I am splitting people up so 2 out of 5 can get Cheers, can we go to Guest Services once it has been purchased and get new S&S cards with the correct rooms for sleeping? Or will they then require everyone else to get Cheers? Should we just get extra room keys instead of switching rooms?

You'll need at least 420 to cover the Cheers program and your tips for your 6 days. A small cushion on top of that would be nice because you'll be cut off of any other purchases once you hit your limit until you add any more cash at guest services desk. You'll have to check other threads on here for the exact answer about switching rooms and extra keys.