Ships with Ongoing Propulsion Issues

Amy Giard

With proper maintenance those engines should run fine for a long time...I should be a poet. The investigation into the Triumph fire should shed some light into that aspect of Carnival operations. I may be naive but I have a hard time believing Carnival would cut maintenance in order to save some short term money.

I don't know what ships have had ongoing propulsion problems, but these are the ships that Cruise Junkie has a report of propulsion issues, fires, and electrical outages during 2012, most recent to oldest:

Volendam (HAL)

Glory (Carnival)

Adventure of the Seas--engine room fire (Royal Caribbean)

Reflection--technical problems (Celebrity)

Saga Ruby (Saga Holidays)

Island Escape (Thomson Cruises)

Symphony (Crystal)

Zandaam (HAL)

Paradise (Carnival)

Statendam (HAL)

Queen Victoria (Cunard)

Sun Princess (Princess)

Saga Sapphire (Saga Holidays) x2

Crown Princess--electrical fire in passenger cabin (Princess)

Regina Rheni--fire (Saga Holidays)

Ocean Countess (Coastal and Maritime Voyages) x2

Safari Spirit--fire (American Safari Cruises)

Allure of the Seas--fire (Royal Caribbean)

Azamara Quest--fire (Azamara)

Enchantment of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

Caribbean Princess (Princess)

Costa Allegra--fire (Costa)

Enchantment of the Seas (Royal Caribbean)

Queen Mary 2 (Cunard)

Zuiderdam (HAL)

Caribbean Princess (Princess)

Queen Mary 2 (Cunard)

Legend of the Seas fire in a bar (Royal Caribbean)

Allure of the Seas fire by the incinerator (Royal Caribbean)

Independence (American Cruise Line)

I left out a couple of really obscure cruise lines that had issues. I think that Carnival for some reason seems to be under-reported, though, because I thought I'd heard of more Carnival propulsion issues towards the end of last year, unless my memory is as faulty as some of the ships engines.

In 2013 so far, there is:

Triumph (Carnival)

Aurora (P&O Cruises)

Triumph (Carnival)

Destiny (Carnival)

Splendor (Carnival)

Saga Ruby (Saga Holidays)

I doubt you could sub one ship upgrade for another ship because the logistics of having the materials purchased and delivered takes months or even years to plan. It is amazing to watch how fast they come in, remove stuff, and then install the new stuff on those documentaries.

Considering the prop's are driven by big electric motors and I mean BIG, the issue becomes nursing it along till dry dock unless its a minor issue. And even thenthe contractor who repairs them does any rewinding and rotor repairs onboard. Those electric motors, the generators and the diesel engines that drive them aren't coming out of the ship for repair. Ive spent my career in the power generation industry and have had the opportunity to be invited to the engine room on a carnival ship. Even with 25 years of working around big power generating equipment I found it pretty darn impressive not only in size, but in layout and cleanliness.

Considering the prop's are driven by big electric motors and I mean BIG, the issue becomes nursing it along till dry dock unless its a minor issue. And even thenthe contractor who repairs them does any rewinding and rotor repairs onboard. Those electric motors, the generators and the diesel engines that drive them aren't coming out of the ship for repair. Ive spent my career in the power generation industry and have had the opportunity to be invited to the engine room on a carnival ship. Even with 25 years of working around big power generating equipment I found it pretty darn impressive not only in size, but in layout and cleanliness.

I agree, you can't just pull into a West Marine and get a new Deisel Engine for a ship. I design Propulsion Plants. There is a lot involved in Drydock and Overhaul. Ships are amazing! :D

I see Allure of the Seas on there twice! Where is CNN when you need them? Too busy slamming CCL.

As is Enchantment of the Seas.

I think this just illustrates that propulsion issues and engine room fires aren't just a Carnival issue, they can happen on any cruise line. The incident on Triumph (and on Splendor a couple of years ago) just tend to be worse as the ships are stranded for a couple/few days afterwards, and really in my opinion just bad luck for Carnival--these could easily have been on other cruise lines as well.

It also shows--perhaps coincidentally--that problems like this seem to run in "cycles." At the beginning of 2012, Royal Caribbean seemed to be having more than its share of problems, and towards the end of last year and beginning of this year, it's Carnival's "turn."

I see Allure of the Seas on there twice! Where is CNN when you need them? Too busy slamming CCL.

Damn right they are! Allure is supposed to be THE ship to go on. They kept that pretty secretive, somehow. So much for all the CCL haters that say, "Only go on RCCL's NEW LARGE ships!" PFFFFTTTTT!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Damn right they are! Allure is supposed to be THE ship to go on. They kept that pretty secretive, somehow. So much for all the CCL haters that say, "Only go on RCCL's NEW LARGE ships!" PFFFFTTTTT!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'm thinking it wasn't a secret but I also don't remember Allure having been towed for 5 days to port and it's passengers pooping in red bio-hazard bags. Maybe that's why. :rolleyes:

Archived