Tourist Refund Scheme Change

There has been a change to the TRS. You no longer need to have $300 worth of goods on one invoice 30 days prior to travel. It has been extended to 60 days and now can be a total of $300 from various days but still from the one supplier.

Here is a link to part of the legislation which was registered (official) on 15 February 2013. TRS Update.

I haven't seen any changes to the Customs site as yet but here is a media announcement about the proposal last year.

There has been a change to the TRS. You no longer need to have $300 worth of goods on one invoice 30 days prior to travel. It has been extended to 60 days and now can be a total of $300 from various days but still from the one supplier.

Here is a link to part of the legislation which was registered (official) on 15 February 2013. TRS Update.

I haven't seen any changes to the Customs site as yet but here is a media announcement about the proposal last year.

Interesting, I think it is the one supplier, not the number of days, that is an issue for most claims.:D

Thanks for the update.

Bit surprised this went through given it's detrimental to the budget, but I guess they must have thought it wouldn't make much difference e.g. most people will just delay purchases to keep within the period anyway, so there probably won't be much economic detriment.

I'm not very good with legal jargon :confused: Has this officially been approved yet? We are cruising on April 9th and on the weekend I purchased an ipad. Does that mean I can now claim it, or do I still miss out?

I am always interested in these programs but hardly ever qualify :(

As far as I can tell...

"The Regulation extends the period during which travellers can acquire goods to access the TRS or SBS from 30 days to 60 days prior to departure and also allow travellers accessing the TRS to aggregate multiple invoices from single retailers in order to meet the $300 threshold for TRS claims rather than the requirement to hold one invoice only. "

I would still have to have $300 worth of purchases from one retailer over 60 days to qualify. Might happen on this trip, but not likely.

As an aside...I am departing AU on the cruise from Sydney's OPT...is there a place I can file for this there?

That's pretty generous, but don't forget, you must bring those goods with you and take them overseas. But you dont have to keep the packaging.

So if you were planning to buy a camera, ipod, ear buds, sunnies etc, and wanted to get familiar with the camera well before you travel, then this is an excellent thing.

It says "The Regulation commences on the day after it is registered." But for the life of me I can't see any registration date! Typical legal waffle. :)

I'm not very good with legal jargon :confused: Has this officially been approved yet? We are cruising on April 9th and on the weekend I purchased an ipad. Does that mean I can now claim it, or do I still miss out?

Based on what's written above, yes, it's now in force.

Might be useful to have printed the ATO (TRS) link above. Unfortunately it doesn't show the date it was registered, which would confirm it was actually in effect.

Sorry, I couldn't find any plain English statement it has started. The regulation was registered on 15 February. So the 60 days started from 16 February.

Based on what's written above, yes, it's now in force.

Might be useful to have printed the ATO (TRS) link above. Unfortunately it doesn't show the date it was registered, which would confirm it was actually in effect.

Thanks for looking into it for me. I am purchasing a 2nd ipad next month as well so I will just take both with their receipts and I will print the info you have provided above with me as well and just hope the 1st ipad qualifies. No worries if it doesn't, but a bonus for us if it does :D (we already got the Harvey Norman $100 discount which is why we bought it earlier than I originally planned to buy it).

FYI: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013L00200/Explanatory%20Statement/Text

This scheme is available to tourists as well as Australians travelling internationally. The amendments were registered on 15 Feb 2013. See above link for more info, similar info previously provided by Aussiedisneyfan.

Thanks for the good info.:D

FYI: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013L00200/Explanatory%20Statement/Text

This scheme is available to tourists as well as Australians travelling internationally. The amendments were registered on 15 Feb 2013. See above link for more info, similar info previously provided by Aussiedisneyfan.

Based on the above, I'm not sure this is in effect.

It actually says this amendmend has ceased, as it was repealed two days later. It appears this is done automatically so I'm not sure if that's due to the administrative process, or because it needed (or still needs) other approval.

That would possibly explain why it hasn't been in the press, or on the customs site.

Archived