How Can I Be Successful in Getting My Onboard Account Charged in US Funds

kingsgirl

Last time we cruised, we had a big issue with getting our onboard expenses charged in US on our Canadian credit card. I get a better rate with my credit card to convert the charge to Canadian rather than having RCI converting the charge.

This is all done at check in right? That is where I should pressure the agent to get it right, correct?

Last cruise I had to go to the main desk four times to get it right and I really don't want to do that again. I've never felt angry on a cruise before, but I was about to blow last time when this happened :(

I followed other people's advice and highlighted the box and writing that said to charge it in US, but obviously that didn't work.

Thanks for any help!

We have USD loaded cards - We tick no boxes and have check-in do it for us "live" - Never a problem with a currencies

I have no idea what this means, sorry. Can you rephrase it?

We're Canadian cruisers who want to charge our onboard account to our credit cards in US funds.

We've never had a problem being charged in US funds.

There is a check box below the signature area on the Set Sail pass. Just check option B and you should be good to go.

Yeah, I know. I checked it and highlighted it last time and I still had to go to the main desk onboard to get it fixed....FOUR TIMES.

Royal Caribbean offers a 'service' where they will convert your on board account to another currency. The problem is the conversion is not always at current rates, and they also add on a 'conversion fee'. That said, most credit cards also charge a currency conversion fee (often 2.5%)...the real problem is if your credit card charges a lower fee (I have one that charges no such fee), or if you've got a US dollar credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and I should point out these conversion fees are above any actual exchange rate. So, when the Canadian and US dollar are at par, if you buy US$100 worth of stuff in the US, for most Canadian credit cards, the bill will show up for C$102.50.

I know this may not be the answer you are looking for, but an option if you want to ensure you have no headaches.

Estimate the amount you plan on spending on board and pick up a pre loaded visa card with that dollar amount. When the cruise is over you can just toss the card if you have used it all, if not then you have a few bucks to spend elsewhere.

I know this may not be the answer you are looking for, but an option if you want to ensure you have no headaches.

Estimate the amount you plan on spending on board and pick up a pre loaded visa card with that dollar amount. When the cruise is over you can just toss the card if you have used it all, if not then you have a few bucks to spend elsewhere.

Unfortunately, this really wouldn't solve the problem...in fact, it could cost you more. If it's a US$ visa, you'd end up paying a 5-7% surcharge...first RCI would charge 2-3% to convert your bill to C$, then the card would charge you another 2-4% to convert it back to US$!

We all have our own triggers (lord knows I have too many) but for $2.50 per $100, I would not have wasted four trips to GS on my vacation.

To each his/her own...but if you've got a $2000 on board bill, that ends up being a $50 conversion charge. Certainly frustrating when it's solely a result of RCI's error!

Last time I checked, RC charges 3% and our Bank charges 2.5%, so we prefer having RC charge our card in US$ and letting the bank do the conversion as well.

I don't mind using my own card instead of a prepaid, plus we get points for using our card.

Never had a problem with them understanding how we want the charges made though.

Buy dollars at your bank and pay with cash for your seapass.

Then there is just one conversion.

When cruising in Europe the ATM charge, the bank charge and % after% plus rate change everyday.

So buy Euro at you home bank and use cash.

We have a US$ credit card from our Bank.

We buy US$ when the exchange rate is up and keep money in that US account.

Then we Check -CASH- as our payment for the Set Sail.

When we need to go to the front desk with a Credit Card, we use the US$ credit card and tell them Not to Convert it to CA$.

They used to convert it to CA$ automatically, a Miami issue we were told, but now it seems for our last year of cruises, they have not converted it!:D

Unfortunately, this really wouldn't solve the problem...in fact, it could cost you more. If it's a US$ visa, you'd end up paying a 5-7% surcharge...first RCI would charge 2-3% to convert your bill to C$, then the card would charge you another 2-4% to convert it back to US$!

Good Point

We have a US$ credit card from our Bank.

We buy US$ when the exchange rate is up and keep money in that US account.

Then we Check -CASH- as our payment for the Set Sail.

When we need to go to the front desk with a Credit Card, we use the US$ credit card and tell them Not to Convert it to CA$.

They used to convert it to CA$ automatically, a Miami issue we were told, but now it seems for our last year of cruises, they have not converted it!:D

When I used my USD credit card - Royal converted it to CAD then my RBC converted it back to USD to bill the statement to which I then had to use my CAD to pay the visa in USD - multiple conversion fees for absolutely no reason! Luckily we're pretty much @ par or better :rolleyes:

The next cruise after specifically saying bill in US, do not convert, highlighting the line on the set sail pass they still did the conversion... I think their systems are programmed to assume whatever country you're in you have a CC in that currency.

Now I use my Canadian credit card, let them either convert it or not (I do attempt to NOT convert but it's not the end of the world) so at most I will only have the conversion from USD to CAD... the last thing I want to do at the end of a cruise is spend an hour waiting in the GS lineup trying to talk to a brick wall of "sorry miss, we can't change it now that it's processed"

When I used my USD credit card - Royal converted it to CAD then my RBC converted it back to USD to bill the statement to which I then had to use my CAD to pay the visa in USD - multiple conversion fees for absolutely no reason! Luckily we're pretty much @ par or better :rolleyes:

The next cruise after specifically saying bill in US, do not convert, highlighting the line on the set sail pass they still did the conversion... I think their systems are programmed to assume whatever country you're in you have a CC in that currency.

Now I use my Canadian credit card, let them either convert it or not (I do attempt to NOT convert but it's not the end of the world) so at most I will only have the conversion from USD to CAD... the last thing I want to do at the end of a cruise is spend an hour waiting in the GS lineup trying to talk to a brick wall of "sorry miss, we can't change it now that it's processed"

Beth C - you make a good point...up to now, they've always charged my on board account in US$...I guess I've been lucky! For my cruise next month, I think I'll charge it to a new credit card I've got that charges no conversion fee - that way, as you say, even if they 'accidentally' convert it, it won't pay multiple conversion fees!

I feel your pain. Never had the check-in process correctly get the USD option correct, despite marking/crossing/colouring the appropriate boxes and text.

Note to other Canadians: Chase Bank credit cards (Sears, Amazon.ca) charge no Fx fee. Zero. They're now my cards of choice when travelling outside Canada.

Beth C - you make a good point...up to now, they've always charged my on board account in US$...I guess I've been lucky! For my cruise next month, I think I'll charge it to a new credit card I've got that charges no conversion fee - that way, as you say, even if they 'accidentally' convert it, it won't pay multiple conversion fees!

If they charge you in C$, this means that they have already done the conversion from US$ at a horrible rate... I've seen 7.5% once (not by RCI). This defeats the whole purpose of "no foreign exchange fees" on that card, so make sure they charge you in US$.

HTH

• 4 weeks later...
I feel your pain. Never had the check-in process correctly get the USD option correct, despite marking/crossing/colouring the appropriate boxes and text.

Note to other Canadians: Chase Bank credit cards (Sears, Amazon.ca) charge no Fx fee. Zero. They're now my cards of choice when travelling outside Canada.

Well, after three previous sailings on Royal Caribbean, they finally messed up on our Allure sailing last week. While I was adamant at check in (both on the paper form and in discussing with the check-in agent) that I was choosing option B and wanted everything in US$, on the morning of departure I received my bill and it had been converted to C$.

Fortunately, I hedged by bets and used my new Marriott Reward VISA (issued by Chase) which, as pointed out above, carries no currency conversion fee.

While Royal's 3% conversion is still a rip-off, at least I wasn't dinged for triple currency conversion, which would have been the case had I used my TD US$ VISA as I usually do (imagine 7% in currency conversions! 3% for Royal to convert it; 2.5% for TD to convert it back to US$; plus 1.5% commission when I purchase the US$ to pay the bill!)

After 22 cruises with RCI, I have given up trying to get them to charge me in US$ - I always mark it with the "do not convert me - charge in US$" option but about 50% of the time, they still do the conversion to CAN$ at a much higher exchange rate than what my credit card issuer would use.

The first few cruises, I waited in line at GS to ask them to convert it back - but often in the same cruise they would change it back AGAIN. Now I mark it how I want and just surrender to whatever they charge me in - it is just not worth waiting in line during precious vacation time. If I need to wait at GS for another question, I do ask them to check it and often it is set up wrong.

Princess, HAL, Celebrity, and Disney seem to have this under control - it's annoying that RCI doesn't, but they are still my favourite cruise line!!!

We have had no problems since ticking Pay by Cash and give them our credit card mid way, in the cruise. That way DH states at the front desk our preference for absolutely NO conversion.

The other way never worked, Miami? goes by the CA address I guess and not the BIG Tick you put on the paper for NO conversion.

Seems to be working with Pay by Cash.:rolleyes:

Archived