Carnival's Preferred Shop Disclaimer

musicgal

We watched a televised announcement on the Magic that was pretty straightforward in saying that Carnival had no connection (read-kickback) with the shops or businesses they endorse in their handouts. Wish I could remember precisely just what the spokesperson said, but they reiterated that they have absolutely no business connection with these shops at all, but that their complete motivation for all of their info was protecting the Carnival cruiser from fraud and bad experiences in port. Much touted was that famous Carnival merchandise guarantee. What's true folks? Opinions welcome, but facts appreciated more.

Despite what Carnival, or any other cruise line, may say, the recommended shops must pay the cruise line for every port call they make. It was about $1000 a couple of years ago. We have friends who own a jewelry store in St. Thomas and he was the one who told us that. We usually avoid the recommended stores.

There was an article in USA Today last week that all cruiselines will now begin making this disclaimer.

Any store that any cruiseline touts as having special offers if you are a passenger on that cruiseline has PAID that cruiseline to do it. The "super shopper" or whatever they call themselves on your cruiseline of choice, is not a cruiseline employee. He/she makes their money from commission from those stores that they advertise.

There was an article in USA Today last week that all cruiselines will now begin making this disclaimer.

Any store that any cruiseline touts as having special offers if you are a passenger on that cruiseline has PAID that cruiseline to do it. The "super shopper" or whatever they call themselves on your cruiseline of choice, is not a cruiseline employee. He/she makes their money from commission from those stores that they advertise.

I know that Alaska is definitely requiring this. There's some kind of scripted message that has to be stated at the beginning of the talk and their sales tactics have to change (this store is untrustworthy, stores we don't mention will rip you off, etc), and they have to tape EVERY shopping talk and send it to the Attorney General's office.

We had lunch at a restaurant in Cozumel after it was "recommended" during a Shopping Talk on the ship. To this day, one of the most disgusting restaurants I've ever tried in my life.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. In retrospect, I am finding that blip very disingenuous. In fact, I did something I don't usually do and saved all the handouts for shopping on and off the ship this time just to research the situation. Usually, we just toss the stuff... but this time I wanted to look at the patterns of spa sales and jewelry sales over the week.

The shopping person is an employee of a marketing firm that has the agreements with the stores, and they pay them commissions. The cruislines aren't really part of it. I asked the shopper on my last cruise, because I really wanted to know if Carnival owned Diamond's International or what.

I know there is more to the story than that, but I don't remember everything.

Although you probably won't experience this in every port, I can remember on a previous visit to San Juan, at one the stores we stopped at to shop, the lady that rang up our sale asked us what ship we were on. I don't believe the store was on the ship's "recommended" list, but we did get a 10% discount. It wasn't your typical touristy place either. It put me in mind of a cross between a very small version of Border's Book Store and an arts & crafts place. Very unique shop. I don't know if it's still there, but we'll find out when we go there in May.

Archived