help please. Is this cabin bad.

I am new to cruising (obviously) and have booked a cabin on the princess dawn, without knowing the deck layout. I was given a cabin on emerald deck no E319.Have just worked out how to look where cabins are on the ship layout and discovered this is probably the noisiest cabin in the ship. It is under the wheelhouse bar, one cabin back from the laundry and near the stairs and the anchor chain. I am a very light sleeper and have read the reviews of this cabin which says its noisy. Has anyone stayed in this cabin? if so was it noisy or bearable. My cruise is leaving in june and I wonder if I can request a change of cabin due to this. I was not told it was near all these things(obviously). thanks

I have not been in this cabin but I would ask for a change. One past cruise I changed cabins 4 times as better cabins and cheaper upgrade prices became available. I did use a US agent but if you have booked in Australia it still should be possible- if cabins are available.Mo5re cabins often become free after final payment date so watch out then. Jennie

Sounds like you are feeling worried and unhappy about the possibility that you will not enjoy this cabin. Part of the holiday is enjoying the planning. I would ask for a change just so that you can enjoy the anticipation, not dread the possibility of not being happy once on board. It is much harder to change once on board. If you ask and can't change, well then I hope it is ok, but there is no harm in asking for a change if you already think you have the worst cabin available.

Often when there is a lot of feedback about an issue the facts will support that those people were right. One bad review can sometimes be a personal opinion or experience, and must sometimes be taken with a grain of salt.

Forget about reading cabin reviews. Some people are so soft they will complain about anything and ruin the opinion for others before they even try it. Some imbeciles post ridiculous things about what they hear at night that it if true they could probably hear a piece of cotton landing on felt.

Ships will not be dropping the anchor late at night so you do not have to worry about an anchor chain waking you up.

If you go aft you will hear the propellers and wake waves, if you go high you will hear deck chairs, if you go low you will hear the waves, if you go near a restaurant you will hear pots and pans banging in the nearby galley.

Come on just forget what you read, pick a cabin you can afford and go with it.

Hi There,

We were in cabin E326 on the Sun Princess a couple of years ago. (Sun and Dawn are identical) and we had no problems with noise. It may be a little rocky if the sea's are bad being so far up the front. The laundry is usually closed at night. I actually like to be close to the laundry, especially if you just want to iron a shirt etc, or just to check if a machine is available.

If your still worried, just ring your T/A and ask to be moved, if there are cabins available in your category it shouldn't be a problem.

Deidre.

If your still worried, just ring your T/A and ask to be moved, if there are cabins available in your category it shouldn't be a problem.

Good advice . If you dont get anywhere with your TA and are still unhappy or unsure, ring Princess direct on their free call number, quote your booking number and have a chat to them.They will advise on anything else that is available.

Forget about reading cabin reviews. Some people are so soft they will complain about anything and ruin the opinion for others before they even try it. Some imbeciles post ridiculous things about what they hear at night that it if true they could probably hear a piece of cotton landing on felt.

Ships will not be dropping the anchor late at night so you do not have to worry about an anchor chain waking you up.

If you go aft you will hear the propellers and wake waves, if you go high you will hear deck chairs, if you go low you will hear the waves, if you go near a restaurant you will hear pots and pans banging in the nearby galley.

Come on just forget what you read, pick a cabin you can afford and go with it.

I respectfully beg to disagree with some of the above. Cabin reviews are useful if people remember to look for the pattern. One negative review, especially if the reviewer also complains about lots of other things on the cruise, is best taken with a grain of salt but a number of reviews pointing out shortcomings of a cabin/ship can be more reliably considered generally. There are 'dud' cabins that should be avoided if at all possible and one of the ways to find out is to read the reviews as well as asking questions and looking at deck plans. Picking a good stateroom does take research and work, especially on a ship you do not know. Within the same category/price range there are good cabins, not so good cabins and often some horrid cabins. People value different things, so close to the lifts or stairs might suit some, whereas others may find it too busy. We have been close to lifts before and have not heard the noise inside the cabin, but you do have a lot of through traffic past on the way. Others like to be close to the laundry but not me and I have heard of queues down the corridor etc.

The general advice is to pick a cabin with staterooms both above and below if possible as this will minimise those external sources of noise.

Look at this site for review on all decks and cabins.

Ok that did not work

This is there review of emerald Deck

Deck 6 -- Emerald Deck

******************** Warning ***

Several cabins on this deck with potential problems.

Most of the cabins on Deck 6 of the Dawn Princess are located under a popular bar which does feature music and dancing and could mean noise issues into the wee hours of the morning!

The best cabins with the least amount of noise will be E304, E306, E348, and E350. These are all exterior staterooms port side, and none of these are directly under the bar area on Promenade Deck of the Dawn Princess.

There are few interior staterooms located on Deck 6 of the Dawn, and all of these (E311- E349) are situated most directly under the bar area. We suggest that you look for an inside cabin on another, higher deck to avoid noise issues.

On the Emerald Deck of the Dawn Princess, exterior cabins E309- E353 are under the bar areas as well. If you are light sleeper, you may prefer to find a cabin elsewhere on the ship, bring earplugs, or invest in a wave machine (a sound device available at a specialty retailer like Brookstone -- produces pleasant sounds that can wipe out the unpleasant sounds).

Several of the worst cabins onboard the Dawn Princess are on the Emerald Deck. While we are not suggesting the cabins on this deck should be completely avoided, there are staterooms on other decks which will be quieter.

I am with Suto here, no cabin is that bad!

It all depends on what you are looking for in a cabin and what you are looking to avoid in a cabin and if you have no personal experience in cabins at all then you have to make your own decision based on How much you want that cruise,how much you are willing to pay for that cruise and what things annoy you the most on land that would also affect you on a cruise!

Anchor chain noise? who isnt up by 6-7am on a tender port day so that the noise is going to affect your sleep so much? no worse than the vibrations at the rear when the engines are slowing and shaking the cabin to pieces way before the anchors is dropped.

If the ships ducking and diving up front its also rocking and rolling mid ship and swaying from side to side at the rear.

I often wonder why cruise ship expensive suites are high and far forward with a pool deck just above when given comfort reviews they should be very low mid ship with cabins above& below to minimise noise?

If you are going to complain about the possibility of chair scraping noise from above or the sound of music late at night then a cruise isnt really what some want but more a sanctuary type holiday.

Saying this for the inexperienced there are better cabins in better positions for the same price on all cruise ships but they always go first!:)

I would choose far aft and high under a Lido deck over mid ship with cabin above/below any Day but I am sure there are many that would disagree with my personal preference:D

When i my booked my cruise on the dawn princess in 2010 i had booked the cabin E318 the only noise i ever heard in the cabin was from next door some loud banging and toilet flushing didin't bother me at all. btw looking at the deck plans cabin's E318 E321 E319 and the other 4 are all under the toilets in between the theater and the bar.

I have been in E322 on Dawn Princess which was under the Wheelhouse Bar under the Band and never heard a thing. We were given an upgrade the next time we cruised to the centre of ship inside cabin on Aloha Deck which was under the pool and still heard no noise. We preferred Emerald Deck as it was more central and did not have to rely on the lifts all the time. Tried to get a similar cabin on our Sea Princess Hawaii cruise in April but they were booked out so are on Dolphin Deck for this one. Have never been near the laundry though.

Archived