To Spray Tan, or Not to Spray Tan?

lillypad83

A spray tan (at least Mystic Tan) will not sweat off on your clothes unless it has the bronzer added. I always get the "clear" formula in medium. Some salons use the older machines where you just stand front and back, but I think that the better ones have you stand in four positions.

I haven't really noticed a trend for women to stay pale -- if anything, I think women tan (fake or natural) even more since pantyhose went out of style and sleeveless tops and dresses are very popular.

As others have mentioned, Mystic Tan is the best spray tan I've encountered. Even then, you've got to be pretty experienced with it to make it turn out even with no runs or dark places over knees and elbows. I never used to add bronzer, always clear, so there was no discoloration on clothing, towels or sheets.

All that said, I embrace the extreme paleness now. It takes too much time, money and skin damage to do otherwise!

Im glad i found this thread. I am a very pale red head that couldnt get a base tan if her life depended on it. I looked at the Jergens self tanner but wasnt sure if it was worth while. This thread has made me decide to just embrace my paleness and go natural :)

I will be slathering on SPF 50 every 2 hours to prevent any burning.

Mystic tan does sweat off on my clothes without using a bronzer... But it is for competition dance and I am sweating a lot under strong lights, so I may be the exception...

As to price, I will pay 40.00 in this area for a mystic tan.

Tanning beds just do too much damage to my skin, at my age to consider, but we all have to make our own decisions on that.

I also like Jergens but I can never seem to get my heels, ankles to not look silly and like I have dirty feet!

I also like Jergens but I can never seem to get my heels, ankles to not look silly and like I have dirty feet!

I've had that problem too...lower legs, feet and weirdly, a spot on one arm.:rolleyes: I use another moisturizing lotion first, then apply Jergens afterwards. This seems to even things out better.

I'm super pale/pink/ freckle-y. Mystic Tan makes me orange, so I use the Versa Spa, and can generally use medium or dark without being an oompa-loompa-esque mess. However, it's February, so I am pale. The spray tan comes off in chlorine, and since I'll be swimming the majority of the cruise, it's really just a waste of $60.

I need a pep talk about how EVERYONE is pale in February,

... And, go!

It used to bother me looking untanned before a cruise (I'm olive in complexion) and I tried many self tans. All had a foul smell and my skin went orange. You can pick them as a fake a mile away. Stick to normal and you'll blenmd in lots better.

Lying in the sun is a total waste of time for me.

I'm with the pale and proud group. I've had spray tans before and they look fine if you avoid swimming. Once the salt water touched it, I looked splotchy. I'd rather be pale that spotted. To give my legs a nice "shimmer" in a dress/skirt I use that Sally Hansen airbrushed legs. I put lotion in my had and spray the stuff on the lotion, then apply. It goes on even that way. It comes off in the shower but at least it all comes off without leaving blotches of color. As far as the beach goes, as long as everyone is wearing sunglasses when I walk by no one will be blinded by the glare from my white legs.

I swear I used to keep Mystic Tan in business once upon a time! They are even, natural looking, and fast! If you get a "booster" in it to make it last longer it really helps. Here they are 30, but I usually get a base tan then mystic on top of it for skin damage purposes. I never had one when swimming chlorine or salt water so I can't answer that one! It never sweat off on me and I was a competition dancer as well, and mostly wore white! YMMV

Another of the Pale & Proud here. I too have had my Mystic Tan rub off on my clothes. The thing I hate the most about ANY self tanners is the smell. And after a few years of having my own "personal summers", I can really smell it. The smell remains on my bedsheets, robe, etc. and I have now sworn off of self tanners.

As for tanning in general... my 34 year old daughter (who has been an avid tanner since her twenties) has skin that looks as aged as mine. She's said the closer she gets to 40 that her skin has become more important and the tan has become less important.

I too have used self-tanner a few times and really didn't like the smell, but I just bought some Jergens Natural Glow that says it's now odor-free. I had also made an appt for a spray tan but think I will cancel it after reading these posts. Too much trouble and I will be in the ocean every day we're in port.

I blew off the nay sayers about tanning beds for a long time until I went to get a consultation for... facial enhancements...let's say. They did this odd thing where they took several pictures of my face and the computer could show you where your sun damage was!!! And how bad it would get!!! I almost died. Now I go pale unless it's for a special occasion (Honeymoon Cruise ;)) or get a spray :)

Because my husband told me to go "without pantyhose" many cruises ago, I am used to going without on cruises...

BUT I just went to a wedding reception and had a Ralph Lauren glittery dress and my legs were beyond pale since it is only March...and I wanted my legs to be bare...

So, I self-tanned and actually loved it!

So greatful about the many posts about the Glow product, because now I will look for it for a back up product.

I am glad to know more infor about not using it in chlorine...thanks everyone for sharing!

Bernadette

I think the whole thing of a "tan", besides being bad for you, is a hoax in terms of thinking you need to be tan just because you are visiting a warmer climate.

A joke for many who live in warmer climates like FL year round is that you can usually tell who the visitors are because they are the ones who have tans..along with the Snowbirds..and the majority who live here are not "tan" at all.

Personally, I don't think anyone except you cares if you are tan or not except you. Save your skin!

I'm super pale/pink/ freckle-y. Mystic Tan makes me orange, so I use the Versa Spa, and can generally use medium or dark without being an oompa-loompa-esque mess. However, it's February, so I am pale. The spray tan comes off in chlorine, and since I'll be swimming the majority of the cruise, it's really just a waste of $60.

I need a pep talk about how EVERYONE is pale in February,

... And, go!

I think the whole thing of a "tan", besides being bad for you, is a hoax in terms of thinking you need to be tan just because you are visiting a warmer climate.

A joke for many who live in warmer climates like FL year round is that you can usually tell who the visitors are because they are the ones who have tans..along with the Snowbirds..and the majority who live here are not "tan" at all.

Personally, I don't think anyone except you cares if you are tan or not except you. Save your skin!

I agree it's all about appearance. The same can be said of hair dye and face makeup. We can all tell who is faking it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its better to start your cruise pale than with a horrible spray tan that will, as you said, make you look orage and wear off first in odd places like your hands, fingers and feet. I like the Jergens glow. It is so so so mild and slow and gradual. You get a great lotion too so the bonus is after 7 - 10 days you start to see a hint of color. Spray tans I think are great for a one time photo. Covers the red, white and brown spots ( and any ugly veins) but again, orange and wears funny.

I tried the St. Tropez self-tanner last year. It had such a strong aroma to it that I had to get up and shower and change the bed sheets and pillow covers in the middle of the night!!! I'm really sensitive to scents.

When I saw that Jergens reformulated their tanning product and is now "odorless', I decided to give it a try. I bought a tube of the Natural Glow 3 day product in Fair to Medium. I have to say, I was impressed. It still had a very faint scent, but it didn't bother me at all. I did get a nice little glow on my legs. Now, I did 1 day on, on day none, 1 day on, etc. instead of 3 straight days. I just wanted to watch how it was changing. I didn't get funny splotches and even my nasty 6 inch scar on my one leg didn't get a weird color. Now, I only did my legs, so I cannot comment on how well it will work for the rest of the body. But, I will recommend this to anyone now.

Archived