Pre cruise complaint (what's your view)

Arrowdaz

Accident happen and mistakes get made. We all are human. Personally I would just let it go and move on. It is not like you boarded the ship and then they said they made a mistake. Enjoy your cruise and the $200 OBC.

RCI could also take that viewpoint and simply eat the mistake of their employee and then try to keep it from happening again.

Thanks so much jeannie,

I just treat everyone how I expect to be treated myself!

I did ask for people's opinions and thoughts and I always knew I would get those in favour and those who oppose!

I'll post the outcome in here!

Regards

Personally, I think they should make it right. But the legal situation is not as clear cut in your favour as some people might suggest. Almost certainly a court would uphold that the contract did not exist until the confirmation invoice was issued (as per terms and conditions, very common in the travel industry). Even if it did, you might only be due a full refund, which they have offered. Arguably you are getting the holiday you booked, the stated cruise, just without a promised incentive (RCI doesn't offer all inclusive cruises, the drinks package is a separate extra). The contract almost certainly states that it overrides any oral promise made by their representative. Etc., etc., I'm afraid.

That doesn't mean I think it is right, or that you should give up fighting. I'd just be wary about throwing around the Sale of Goods Act without being very sure of your ground. You need to find some one in the company who will listen to reason and do the right thing by you. Good luck!

I would be upset, but you don't have a leg to stand on. Someone made a mistake, that is that. If you push the issue they MIGHT offer you something above the $200 OBC but not likely. Personally, I would let it go but that is just my opinion.

I love where someone above suggested you ask them for a copy of the conversation. Try that and let us know how that turns out. Not going to happen. You would need a subpoena to get it.

Disclaimer... I am not a lawyer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Per RCI/UK terms and conditions a binding contract is not in place until they send you the Confirmation Invoice. If the drink package was not on that, you're likely relying on their goodwill to provide you anything.

That might their terms but the law may override this :-)

I would be upset, but you don't have a leg to stand on. Someone made a mistake, that is that. If you push the issue they MIGHT offer you something above the $200 OBC but not likely. Personally, I would let it go but that is just my opinion.

I love where someone above suggested you ask them for a copy of the conversation. Try that and let us know how that turns out. Not going to happen. You would need a subpoena to get it.

It may be different on the moon but here on planet earth he can request a copy of the conversation and they are legally obliged to provide it. He has right on his side and it is his choice to pursue this to get what he was promised.

I've worked in companies, listened to conversations recorded with consent and subsequently provided those conversations. He has 2 legs, they don't even have one.

Hi beachnative,

RCI have listened back to the calls and confirmed that the offered were made but that they shouldn't have been.

if they were offered then the cruise line needs to stand by those. their error, is not your error.i would escalate.

My feeling on reading this is:

1) So many people saying let it go. Not sure of why, but we sailed with some very nice millionaires at one time, and anytime we would mention a discount or saving deal they would say along the lines of, "we just want it we pay for it". Yep, I would like to be able to, but we have a limited amount to spend, and if we can get a good value deal, it interests us. Between booking and sailing we are usually working and budgeting to pay for the holiday. So while that is their advice to you, I feel strongly on the side of they have offered it through an employee, not a travel agent, one of their own. It should be honored.

2) While the drinks package is a good dollar/pound amount for the buyer, it is like the food cost to the cruise lines. They buy in such bulk amounts that the actual base cost is very low. It is not really costing them as much as we might feel to honor this deal that has been recorded. If I was offered a good deal that is something that I have heard of before on these boards, then after asking a second time on ringing back I don't know that I would see any sense in asking to speak to a supervisor to reconfirm it. To get it confirmed in writing, well that was about to happen when they sent you the confirmation invoice.

Good on you for getting onto it immediately and reading your document well. Very interested to see how you fare with this.

Here's the closest applicable FAQ from the ABTA website, which backs up what I said:

I’ve been told that the price of the bargain holiday I booked was wrong. Where do I stand?

The tour operator can’t insist on you paying the higher price, but equally, you’re unlikely to be able to insist that the tour operator provides the holiday at the lower price. The most likely result will be that the tour operator will cancel the booking and you’ll receive a refund of any money paid.

In these cases the first thing to do is to check when your contract with the tour operator comes into effect. This will be stated in the tour operator's booking conditions but it is usually when the tour operator issues their confirmation invoice (not when you received it).

If the contract hasn’t come into effect, then the tour operator simply returns any money paid and that’s the end of it.

If the contract has come into effect, the next thing to check is when the balance due date is. If this date hasn’t been reached, the tour operator is entitled – under the ABTA Code of Conduct and, usually, under the booking conditions – to cancel the booking and refund the money you’ve paid.

I am normally skeptical of those trying to get more, but this seems pretty clear cut to me.

1. It's on tape

2. It's not like it was a simple slip that the OP was trying to exploit- it was reconfirmed and explained by the agent- why would the OP have been suspicious?

3. When calculating the value of the drink package, think about what the actual cost to the cruise line is- and that's no where near the cost of the package, especially if the OP isn't going to be having 6 drinks a day.

4. If RCCL doesn't come back with at least some sort of drink package, then bringing up "Cruise Critic" and "Consumer Advocate" would be appropriate, I think.

Good luck!

Precisely.

I think that clause is more for them to use against a customer who says that they had no 'contract' and for them to say that the contract was created when they sent out the confirmation. JMO.

You may think that, but I'm afraid you'd be wrong :) It's there for exactly this kind of situation. And similar terms have been upheld.

You may think that, but I'm afraid you'd be wrong :) It's there for exactly this kind of situation. And similar terms have been upheld.

Based on my Citizens Advice background I'd beg to differ. I think you're wrong :-)

This is so cool and so utterly British!!! Loving the smiley faces and the gentle correspondence. You guys rock! :)

It may be different on the moon but here on planet earth he can request a copy of the conversation and they are legally obliged to provide it. He has right on his side and it is his choice to pursue this to get what he was promised.

I've worked in companies, listened to conversations recorded with consent and subsequently provided those conversations. He has 2 legs, they don't even have one.

I beg to differ. You are welcome to make your own recordings when calling in to a company, and they are welcome to make theirs... for their own use (usually for "training" purposes only), and of course only with the other party being aware of it. They COULD send the OP a copy relatively easily, but are not obligated to. Why would they send someone evidence which could be used against them and cost them money?

Again, I am not saying that the OP should not escalate it... I am just saying the hassle would not be worth it to me and I would let it go. OP does not have a legal leg to stand on. If OP pushes the issue and gets it, good for OP.

Disclaimer... It really wasn't a Holiday Inn, it was a Best Western...

Here they are - lol

April I'm becoming a granny again

Norway looks interesting..... not on my bucket list though..... been there....

Now the TA...... I want to go back to St Kitts.... have been waiting on Legend itineraries to come out for Spring so I can go back to Barbados too..... have to spend the ££ wisely... AoS is wonderful.... just saw Barbados is on the 2nd leg of your B2B.... b****r

Now the TA...... I want to go back to St Kitts.... have been waiting on Legend itineraries to come out for Spring so I can go back to Barbados too..... have to spend the ££ wisely... AoS is wonderful.... just saw Barbados is on the 2nd leg of your B2B.... b****r

Yeah, I'm not too excited about Norway. we're taking a neighbour whose sister died recently to help pull her out of her depression.

Looking forward to TA on Liberty but a bit sad AOS won't have a DL when we sail on her in November :-)

You really want to do Legend after Adventure?

Honestly, I think you're being unreasonable. You booked a cruise that is almost nine months away, and within 48 hours of booking, they told you they were mistaken with what is a portion of a very large package. They have offered you what they were correctly intending to, and they have given you the option of a complete cancellation. Those are two perfectly reasonable options.

I have trouble believing that this is some sort of bait & switch, but rather it is an innocent (and minor) mistake.

Seriously, two months ago, drink packages didn't even exist on most sailing, much less free packages. Can you honestly tell me that this little extra is what tipped the scales in favor of you taking a long transatlantic trip? And if the answer is "yes", then good news. You can cancel the whole thing no harm, no foul.

No, I think this sounds like the overzealous version of the customer is always right. Let it go.

They did not contact the op to let them know of the situation....the op called RCL when the incentives did not show up on the confirmation....had they not checked this RCL would not have contacted them about this....I feel if they were offered this incentive and they have the audio to prove it RCL should stand by what their reps are selling....let's face it...is the lousy $200 gonna break RCL....I think not!

You really want to do Legend after Adventure?

Have you seen the revitalisation schedule? Here

10 /11 day cruises with ports of call I've not visited.... may B2B.... don't know... wish that TA on AoS hadn't been pointed out to me..... would so do a B2B on her again.... air fare conundrum there though.

Archived